Lost!

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is very easy to just look at the distance and you get into the habit of always hitting the same club for the relevant distance.

However distance is only one variable. Elevation is important & often very difficult to judge. Wind speed & direction. Air temperature, amount of run etc.

Probably without the device you are also going to allow a bit more margin for error as well but when you have an exact yardage you feel happier going right at it, rather than maybe playing away from trouble.
but surely the art of the game is to best guess the distance ,we can all hit skanky shots wether we use our eyes or a dmd . and experience of playing the game is a big thing in judging conditions over head or underfoot.
try using your senses rather than tech ,you might find that you wasted a few quid on something you never needed in the first place.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
No problem , your choice

Others prefer to use them

No rights, no wrongs, it’s all legal and fair above board , you choose what fits you best and let the others get on with whatever they fancy .

Just don’t go saying it’s unfair as you are guessing and they are not 👍

please tell me where i said it is unfair to use them .
and yes its my choice and imo should not be allowed ,but unfortunately they are and imo slow the game down when we are supposed to be looking for ways to speed it up. but thats for another time maybe

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
but surely the art of the game is to best guess the distance ,we can all hit skanky shots wether we use our eyes or a dmd . and experience of playing the game is a big thing in judging conditions over head or underfoot.
try using your senses rather than tech ,you might find that you wasted a few quid on something you never needed in the first place.

I don’t think it’s so much about the money.

It’s difficult to say it is going to be an advantage to not know the right distance, especially on a course you aren’t familiar with.

However it is more coaching yourself to think of all the variables, which you are more likely to do if you are not simply looking at your wrist and deciding on your club before you even get to the ball.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
and yes its my choice and imo should not be allowed ,but unfortunately they are and imo slow the game down when we are supposed to be looking for ways to speed it up. but thats for another time maybe

Didn’t say you did, just said don’t .

Disagree about speed, I have my gps out as I’m walking to my ball, so when I get there, I have a very good idea . Sometimes I’ll use the laser, sometimes not,
But we are talking seconds, far quicker than walking forward 39 yards to the 150 marker and pacing back 👍

D

Deleted member 16999

So I’m approx 50-60yds from the green, decide to pace it out and find it’s 55yds, round trip of 110yds walking or 1 sec look at the gps or 5 secs with the laser:unsure:
Yep dmd’s slow the game down!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
When I was younger I used to stand on a fairway, (or semi or jungle) look at the flag or a target and know it was a 7 iron or whatever.

I was usually pretty dam accurate with my distance control and clubbing.

Fast forward a good number of years of reliance on a GPS or a laser and suddenly I'm lost if I forget my device(s) or run out of charge/battery. Not only have I lost that ability I once had it's clear that I'm now not taking the same amount of care or taking in my surroundings like I did before the GPS revolution. Previously I'd know I was a 5 iron from a certain tree or from the back of a bunker etc. Im absolutely lost now. It really is clear that I'm not even paying attention to that, I just whip out the laser or a quick glance at the GPS and hit.

Who else has experienced this? Just me?
Just play a2 or 3 rouns without the GPS then!

You'll learn to appreciate both your own perception AND the benefits of a GPS!

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn’t say you did, just said don’t .

Disagree about speed, I have my gps out as I’m walking to my ball, so when I get there, I have a very good idea . Sometimes I’ll use the laser, sometimes not,
But we are talking seconds, far quicker than walking forward 39 yards to the 150 marker and pacing back 👍

why would i need to walk all that way ,i can guess the whole distance and choose my weapon of choice ,like i have already said ,i dont use yardage to judge what club i use my eyes and experience of doing so from playing the game for over forty years.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
why would i need to walk all that way ,i can guess the whole distance and choose my weapon of choice ,like i have already said ,i dont use yardage to judge what club i use my eyes and experience of doing so from playing the game for over forty years.

Which is absolutely fair enough, but they are legal, much like 460 headed drivers, balls that go miles and spin like hell on the greens, so we move with the times.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have, bloke in my society and it’s a faff. Utter pain in the rear end.

Zap and the job is done, my name is BARRY SCOTT 😂😂

you have my sympathy when playing with a dork like that ,but ,,,,,you could have given him a yardage with your legal all singing all dancing dmd so as to stop him doing so ,just saying ,.

Wolf

Visit site
I actually think smart use of a DMD helps quicken the pace of play as if your smart you'll have it to hand before you arrive at your ball, if it's GPS quick glance or laser a quick zap yardage confirmed, resulting in quicker club selection and being ready to go, the skill of hitting the thing that far and straight is what matters the most.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I'm also of the opinion is helps quicken things, there is no faffing about thinking...is it 150 oh wait it might be 165, hmm...not sure, may be I should just try and hit it inbetween, say 157, oh wait, nah it's about 150 :geek:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm also of the opinion is helps quicken things, there is no faffing about thinking...is it 150 oh wait it might be 165, hmm...not sure, may be I should just try and hit it inbetween, say 157, oh wait, nah it's about 150 :geek:

Yip.

That is what I was like when my laser died.

Plus I was looking for sprinkler heads which have yardages on them, I was looking for anything to give me a clue. All added valuable seconds into EVERY shot!

D

Deleted member 15344

What’s the lowest you have got down to using the judging method ?