losing / finding a club

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't agree. I don't know what the letter of the law would say, but if you've tossed a broken club into the trees you're not putting it there for safe keeping are you? You've thrown it away and thus it ceases to be your possession. Not the same as accidentally leaving a wedge by the green.

I've left clubs next to a green once or twice over the years, but always remember during the round and ran back to find them. One of my mates last year was playing his first round with new G400s he'd spent a fair whack on and left the pitching wedge by a green. You should have seen the blind panic on his face when he realised and started running back down the course! There was no one immediately behind us though and he found it a few holes back, luckily.

I've never found a club (intact anyway) lying on the course I don't think. Found infinite numbers of headcovers - which I always shove in the bag and hand into the pro shop / clubhouse at the end if no one comes back to collect - but never found a club. If I did I would most likely do the same, put it in the bag and hand it in at the end if no one collected it.

I invited a friend to a Society day with me (didn’t invite him so quickly after) tee off duck hook twice. Driver followed soon afters into the bushes

He told me leave it there

I ofc put it in my bag until 2 holes later when he calmed down. If it wasn’t for me insisting on collecting the club someone else could have had it away and not really theft. He didn’t want it at the time lol

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's easy enough to look up the legal definition of theft in order to discover that keeping something you've found can be (but isn't always) theft.

And also that just because someone chucked something away, it does doesnt cease to be their property.

Put the two together, and one ought to be able to appreciate that finding stuff aint necessarily the good fortune it might first appear to be.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When it comes to the law there are a lot of areas that will ultimately come down to a judges discretion and/or barristers and lawyers abilities in the court room.

If somebody has such a strong viewpoint and accuses people of theft then I would imagine their view would be that ANY item found that doesnt belong to themselves and is kept must be theft.

So I asked a question to get a better understanding of the viewpoint of the person.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a thought but if you find anything on the course would it not belong to the club itself and not finders keepers As it’s on their land etc?

That is the correct legal position regarding items that are considered to be abandoned such as a golf ball a tee peg but not something which is accidentally lost or forgotten.

OHH I forgot to drive my car home............

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many years ago we had a notice put up that any ball found on the course must be handed in to the pro shop who would place them in a bin for sale with all proceeds going to the Captains charity 6 months later there was no sign of such a bin the pro shop.............

My own personal biggest loss was leaving a bucket of 100 identical practice balls in a bright blue bucket next to the practice green which were never handed in.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you find a club head in the rough it may just be lost due to broken shaft.
You should hand it in to the pro and if nobody claims it in 2 weeks you should be able to keep it.
But if said owner turns up you would be required to hand it back!

This is my clubs policy with anything found on the course except balls there the pros and go to junior coaching.