losing / finding a club

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have never lost a club, however, I’ve lost count of the amount of balls that I have left on a tee box. A long walk back to the next tee so take a spare ball “just in case” and drop it on the ground next to the tee marker. Smoke the 1st ball down the middle and then forget to pickup the spare ball. Doh.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I have never lost a club, however, I’ve lost count of the amount of balls that I have left on a tee box. A long walk back to the next tee so take a spare ball “just in case” and drop it on the ground next to the tee marker. Smoke the 1st ball down the middle and then forget to pickup the spare ball. Doh.

But if you hadn’t dropped that ball next to the tee marker,no way would you smoke that 1st ball down the middle.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strange that this thread was started today as when I was doing my warm up before todays round I found that my pitching wedge was absent. Searched the car but still no joy. I last played on Sunday in an inter club individual competition at our track and must have left it somewhere greenside on the last few holes. As there were about six groups behind me I thought that someone was bound to have handed it in but no such luck.

I am hoping that someone put it in their bag and just forgot about it when they finished the round but with there being players from half a dozen clubs playing it is unlikely they will go out of their way to bring it back. :angry:

While I was searching the locker room, I found an old Donnay oversize P wedge on the lockers so I took that for a run out. Boy, did it look ugly, but it did a reasonable job around the greens at short notice but will not called on again.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had found many clubs, always handed in at the end of the round, unless clubhouse /pro shop is closed, then I drop it off as soon as I can.

Once found a sky caddie in the first cut, picked it up and popped it into my bag, a couple of holes further on I saw a player walking back towards me looking around in the first /second cut, I got the caddie out and called to him, he ran across to me looking relieved, took the unit but instead of saying thanks he looked up and said " I hope you haven't *#%^ed about with the scores, we are playing a match " then just walked off.

He very nearly had a 3 wood rapped around the back of his head. :angry:

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I always hand in anything I find on the course that someone might want to reclaim.

I have a bizarre lost and found club story though!

I was playing in a club competition and hit my 1st shot right, in the rough, and with some trees to get over for my next shot. My playing partners, one of them being a bit of an odd-ball, were way left of me.

Anyway, I reach for my 9 iron, and find it isn't there. I remembered I chipped with it on the last green, and knowing that the group behind (friends in the comp) would see it, and my score wasn't anything great, I went ahead with another club - and fell short.

When we arrived at the green, I mentioned that I must have left my 9 iron at the last green, and then the odd-ball broke out in a big grin and handed it to me and told me he saw I had left it there and wanted to surprise me.

I think he was a little upset when I didn't return the grin!

P.S. Should I have counted to see if he had an undeclared 15th club in the bag? :D

Last edited:

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Glad to hear so many of you guys would do the right thing!

one member picked a club up, forgot it was in his bag after the round and it stayed in the bag until his next visit, 3 weeks later the club was re-united with its owner,

could be a genuine reason the club wasn't handed in, try telephoning the club in a few days time,

who knows, the finder could of still been on the course or in the bar when you returned

hoping they just didn’t have time to hand it in but I have my doubts. The next people behind me were a father teaching his son how to play. If they have kept it then I’ll have lost faith in humanity!!

I’d find out who was playing behind me and get in touch (confront) them, if it was left on the green, then quite simply they have it and need reminding it’s theft to keep it 

It’s a public course so there’s no way of finding out sadly.

little tip for the future, lay your wedge over the flagstick once its removed from the hole, its much harder to lose a club that way.

I’ll have to start putting with the pin out! Good tip.

And harsh lesson learned

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing in a society day last week, I got home late to find my sand wedge missing. I knew I had used it on the 18th so emailed the whole group of players from that day. We were the second group out so was feeling positive.
I had a reply from one of my playing partners - he had it as he picked up his own club too and in the excitement of a good score, we had talked so much and he just added it to his bag. Luckily he only lived in Droitwich and he delivered it that day.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This happened to me, left my Ping SW green side only for it to be picked up and not handed in by someone following. Was quite disappointed by the lack of honesty really, never take more than one club out of my bag at a time now...lesson learned!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Found lots over the years.
I remember my mum telling me to treat other people’s possessions like they were my own , always hand them in.

Best ever was in USA at LPGA found a ladies wedge on 18th so asked in the bar had anyone lost it .
one lady said “I have a set like them I will go and look in my car”
It was hers but she had no idea she had left it.
Very nice woman when she left she told the barman to put our lunch bill on her tab , we only found out when we were leaving so coudnt thank her.

I could not play with a stolen club but sadly some can.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Yup, found a Cleveland RTX 2.0 on the 17th near the green, the chap had obviously done something similar to you. I didn’t see it and stood on it like an upturned rake and it hit me square in the nuts! Still mid stride, it further poked into my nether regions and in a fit of rage and pain I threw it into the nearby river.

Just kidding, picked it up and the guy was waiting off the back off the 18th green for it.

Karma did it’s thing when I dropped my phone unknowingly in a shotgun start scramble and it was there waiting for me behind the bar when I got in.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
found loads of gear down the years. clubs can usually be returned to the owner a few holes later.

losing a nice headcover that never gets handed in is a real headache.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yup, found a Cleveland RTX 2.0 on the 17th near the green, the chap had obviously done something similar to you. I didn’t see it and stood on it like an upturned rake and it hit me square in the nuts! Still mid stride, it further poked into my nether regions and in a fit of rage and pain I threw it into the nearby river.

Just kidding, picked it up and the guy was waiting off the back off the 18th green for it.

Karma did it’s thing when I dropped my phone unknowingly in a shotgun start scramble and it was there waiting for me behind the bar when I got in.

Haha. Hopefully the lads have fully recovered!

it was a Cleveland rtx 2.0 that I lost too.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve found a few wedges around the green & handed them in.
Found a G20 5w head,whilst looking for my ball amongst the trees a few year back.
Gave it a clean and got it reshafted 

Still theft!

.................. in that case, I've stolen dozens of golf balls over the years but I'll always hand in a Molitor or a Top Flite!

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah, left my PW by the green a few months ago...was never handed in at my local course.

Did the same a few weeks back on the 3rd green with my gap wedge, realised at the 8th green, was only a social round so went back for it... went back through half a dozen groups, 4 hadn't seen it (even though it was left leaning against a GUR marker) and 2 had seen it butt left it... luckily it was still there when I got back to it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
even in the short time i've played, i have found quit a bit of stuff dropped of left on the course, Range finders, clubs, bag tags, head covers and hats and have handed every single one either into the pro shop or put in on or in the lost Property bin we have in the changing room.

D

Deleted member 21258

Found a couple of clubs before and handed them in.

Once found a gold wrist bracelet on the 7th near the green in the semi rough, I wanted to put up a notice on the board due to the worth of it but Joanne just gave it to the pro shop, never did hear what happened to that.

I always put my club on the green where I will be walking off towards my bag, as learnt to run back a hole or two in the middle of the round, isn't the most enjoyed thing to do.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Always handed everything I have found back in. Even found a battered Ping G30 driver headcover in Portugal and handed it back to the group in front. Wasn't sure if it was lost or dropped on purpose but he seemed happy to get it back.

A few of my PP's have left clubs about the place and always got them back as well. I have left one up a massive hill and had to run back and get it.. never left another since.

Absolutely hate the fear you get when you think you have lost a club and then to find the bugger hiding up a headcover.