Looking for new Fairway woods

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that Stenson had a stash of those heads and shafts so he could keep a stock of replacements? Bit like I'm doing with my MD's ?
I think he caved the face of the last one he had and Callaway couldn't make him any more....any that are out there will be well used by now. Think he changed to the Epic Flash...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought I read somewhere that Stenson had a stash of those heads and shafts so he could keep a stock of replacements? Bit like I'm doing with my MD's ?
I think it was only the shafts he had a stock of because they ceased making them. I guess he didn't expect the head to break. I'm sure you can still get Diablos on ebay though, but he obviously decided not to go down that route.

Initially I thought he'd carried on using his old shaft in the new head (because it's blue), but it turns out they just painted the shaft blue on the new one for some reason. Maybe to make him feel better. :LOL:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He was in a recent issue of GM and mentioned that he has now moved on to a more current version. Perhaps because his spares were running low but also because he accepted he was missing out on some of the advantages provided by the new tech.

Stenson and his trusty old 3 wood was always a lovely story for us amateurs to hear, relateable.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it was only the shafts he had a stock of because they ceased making them. I guess he didn't expect the head to break. I'm sure you can still get Diablos on ebay though, but he obviously decided not to go down that route.

Initially I thought he'd carried on using his old shaft in the new head (because it's blue), but it turns out they just painted the shaft blue on the new one for some reason. Maybe to make him feel better. :LOL:
Imagine selling a head on eBay?
Post to
Mr Henrick Stenson.
Sweden.
that would be brilliant!

Hoganman1

Visit site
I'm a fan of the TM 2017 M2s. I actually have four of them. I play the 16.5* 3HL and the 21* 5HL in the Winter and the 15* 3 and the 18* 5 in Spring , Summer and Fall. I've also heard the Ping G400 fairways are really good, but sometimes hard to find. Good luck with your search. Hopefully, you'll find some that work for you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I find it surprising though, especially with the Stenson example that a manufacturer can't get a fairway wood to work for their players and that they would prefer a much older model. Does that say anything about the more modern clubs or is it more an eccentricity of the player. Didn't the likes of Westwood and Jimenez regularly play back issues of the Ping fairways

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
OH

MY

BAZOOOOOKAAAAS?????

The SIM Max 3 wood actually arrived and managed to give it a go for a few holes after work...

I have NEVER, ever, ever, hit such an awesome fairway club.
The mis-hits were fine, but when I got the timing right towards the end the ball went absolutely miles.

Absolutely love it, can't recommend it highly enough, have it in the Rogue 70S shaft.
It's a joy and thing of beauty isn't it?
I've had mine for 2 weeks now, it's stunning how long this thing goes. Much further than my old driver even!

D

Deleted Member 1156

To the guys that have the SIM, are you now finding a gapping issue between driver and your next club down from 3W? I hit my driver around 260, 3W about 240 and my 19* hybrid about 220, I wouldn't want my 3W to go any further.

sunshine

Visit site
To the guys that have the SIM, are you now finding a gapping issue between driver and your next club down from 3W? I hit my driver around 260, 3W about 240 and my 19* hybrid about 220, I wouldn't want my 3W to go any further.

But if you were hitting the SIM 3 wood 260, you would be forced to buy a SIM driver for the times when you need a 300 yard shot. ;)

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There isn't really a gapping issue. I've got the 19 degree on order too but in the meantime my 18 degree hybrid covers anything less than the 3 wood

Chico84

Visit site

I’m so inconsistent with my driver it’s not really an issue. On my best shots there’s possibly 30-40 yard difference between driver and 3 wood but good hits are so rare I’m just happy to be up there! I have chucked a 5 wood (Mizuno ST200) in to, in theory, fill the gap but in reality it’s not a huge problem for me.