Looking for new Fairway woods

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I am after some new fairway woods for my son, he has been using my Adams Tight Lies 2 clubs and loves them but they are getting a tad old and tatty.

He really likes the low slung profile and smaller heads, he dislikes my Wilson ones, says they are too big and deep in the face.

Obviously the TL2's are no longer available, what other options are there?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
always fancied Titleist as clubs with smaller heads.

But when it comes to 3 woods or hybrids, I'd say these are often the clubs people become most used to and comfortable with and might well be a struggle to find something new, just for the sake of having something new.

I have an old Cleveland 3 wood I got in 2012 that I've never considered changing.
And splashed on a Ping 4 hybrid last year, which has taken me best part of a year to really get on with - but I am now hitting great. But I did avoid hitting it plenty last year after a few bad days with it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I had the Ping G 3 wood I thought the face was quite low profile. I now have the F9 5 wood though and much prefer it. That's relatively low profile as well I think, but has the rails so the leading edge doesn't dig in.

In fact having just Googled it and found this video, coincidentally he says the Cobra F9 is the shallowest face of all the woods they had. (Not that I know what other ones they had in.) So definitely worth a look.

D

Deleted member 21258

I used to carry all adams original fairway woods for the same reason(first heads I think to have the shallow heads. Never could hit big wooded woods off the fairway, tops galore:oops:).

I tried and ended up getting the 2016 M1 fairway 3 + 5 woods(well 3HL and 5HL as they were cheaper)

Very shallow and without doubt easier to hit than the adams woods for me (I never carried the adams 3 wood before as I was so bad with it and my 5 wood hits were pants), whereas okay with the M1s.

So 2016 M1 woods, probably find some new still and at a good price.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still have my Ping G25 fairways. Nice and shallow although not a patch on my old Callaway Steelehead+ ones from way back. They were small and beautifully formed and a real powerful weapon. Still wish I'd never got rid although I do believe technology has probably superceded them

D

Deleted member 1147

I have a couple of old Titleist 910's (both 3W's) in the garage that are no longer used, as you are local you can have them for free if you're willing to collect them?
I had the 910 5 wood, cracking club.

The OP would be a fool not to take you up on that offer Gordon

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A wonderful gesture Gordon, this forum at its best?
Amen to that!
I've always been an Adams fan, but there doesn't seem to be many of the shallow ones available - perhaps because folk love them too much to part with them!
Certainly worth hunting shallow faced FWs if that's what works! Does reduce options off the tee though. I've never had a problem with (relatively) deep faced FWs. I used to use TM Tour Spoon (great club until my pro mate caved the face in!) I currently use a pair of 15* Adams XTD adjusted up and down to become 2 and 4Ws. It doesn't actually take much adjustment to get great connections, but it does take a bit of mental commitment to change from the 'sweep' style.

Zig

Visit site
Still have my Ping G25 fairways. Nice and shallow although not a patch on my old Callaway Steelehead+ ones from way back. They were small and beautifully formed and a real powerful weapon. Still wish I'd never got rid although I do believe technology has probably superceded them
I have both of the clubs you mention in my garage. Still something special about the steelhead 3 3wood ;)
Moved on to Callaway Rogues last year when the price dropped... and they're amazing! Have 3W and Rescue :)

sunshine

Visit site
I have a couple of old Titleist 910's (both 3W's) in the garage that are no longer used, as you are local you can have them for free if you're willing to collect them?

I'm still using the 910 3 wood, had it 8 years now! I do wonder if I'm missing out on tech advances. What have you switched to?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm still using the 910 3 wood, had it 8 years now! I do wonder if I'm missing out on tech advances. What have you switched to?
I'm using an old MD Superstrong. For some reason it works perfectly for me. Tried many others and keep switching back to it. Got 3 of them so should keep me going for a while ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The fairway wood(s) is, I think, the hardest club to get right as it needs to serve a dual purpose.
Good and long off the tee, good and consistent off the turf.
That's why, even in the Pro game, many use woods that have been in the bag for a long time.
Stenson is the obvious one with his Diablo Tour that finally bit the dust last year but nothing else worked better.
Find something you like and stick with it until either it breaks or you stumble across something else that works better.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I thought I read somewhere that Stenson had a stash of those heads and shafts so he could keep a stock of replacements? Bit like I'm doing with my MD's ?