Looking for a Golf Society in Hampshire?

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am a member of a Golf Society based in Basingstoke North Hampshire, not that living in the town is the criteria for joining, as we have members from slightly further afield.

Recently we have found that our days out have become populated by a hardcore group peppered with an occasional fringe, so I have been charged with drumming up some fresh blood for our monthly sacrifice ;)

We are a merry bunch who meet once a month once the clocks go forwards for 36 holes. Our days are typically made up of the obligatory Bacon bun and coffee, then out for 18 holes of playing for the Town Hall Clock. Light lunch then out for 18 holes of Scramble or the like in the groups you played in during the morning, which is invariably just as competitive.
Scrub up, Jacket and tie then dinner and awards for the days endeavours.

Our current membership is made up of golfers of various abilities, but we all get on regardless. So if you are looking for a Society to join in our locale and would like know more drop me a PM and I will point you in our direction.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am a member of a Golf Society based in Basingstoke North Hampshire, not that living in the town is the criteria for joining, as we have members from slightly further afield.

Recently we have found that our days out have become populated by a hardcore group peppered with an occasional fringe, so I have been charged with drumming up some fresh blood for our monthly sacrifice ;)

We are a merry bunch who meet once a month once the clocks go forwards for 36 holes. Our days are typically made up of the obligatory Bacon bun and coffee, then out for 18 holes of playing for the Town Hall Clock. Light lunch then out for 18 holes of Scramble or the like in the groups you played in during the morning, which is invariably just as competitive.
Scrub up, Jacket and tie then dinner and awards for the days endeavours.

Our current membership is made up of golfers of various abilities, but we all get on regardless. So if you are looking for a Society to join in our locale and would like know more drop me a PM and I will point you in our direction.

How far afield from the Basingstoke area do you travel and where do you play

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How far afield from the Basingstoke area do you travel and where do you play
Just seen your location so you are well in.
Last year
East Berks right on your doorstep.
Traditions, the Hampshire, South Winchester, Sherfield Oaks, Caversham Heath.
Other years Donnington in Newbury and Cams Hall - Fareham, Hinksey - Oxford (36 holes there and still aching 2 days later), Hamptworth.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Seeing as I started this thread when the days were short and cold, I thought that now more of us are in the swing of the season that I would give it a bump back up the board.
Our next society day out is at Traditions in Surrey on Thursday 11th June. Closing date for entries is the 4th June.
If you are interested have a look at the website
http://www.chinehamgolfsociety.co.uk/welcome/4559720954

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was interested in this but when I saw a normal day is 36 holes I decided to pass. I did 36 holes in a day once, holes 27 and beyond were just 9 holes too far.

D

Deleted member 21258

I was interested in this but when I saw a normal day is 36 holes I decided to pass. I did 36 holes in a day once, holes 27 and beyond were just 9 holes too far.

Funny you should say on that, as I had received that comment quite a bit on my golf days that are normally 36(but no evening meal). Normally the price between 27 or 36 is a few of pounds(or sometimes nil) and I gave the people who came on my last golf day the choice of playing 27 or 36 at the same price but said I would run two afternoon comps(9 or 18 hole) and much to my amazement everyone did 36 holes, don't know why or what to do next year:confused:

Me personally I prefer to play 36 holes and lose the evening dinner meal), everyone has their preferences like opinions, sadly OP a little to far for me to come, but wish you all the best.:thup:

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
After 36 holes the last thing I could be bothered with is a jacket collar and tie, stuff that.

Shower, dinner and a pint in casual gear.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After 36 holes the last thing I could be bothered with is a jacket collar and tie, stuff that.

Shower, dinner and a pint in casual gear.
Keep in touch that is on the agenda - especially as this years vice has a few mates would join if we weren't so formal.
I think it's something that has been in place since the society was formed in the days when Golf was a bit exclusive, and the founders saw a society as a way of getting to play on courses where rolling in off the street to play was nye on impossible. Now many clubs are so eager to get their mitts on anyone's money, the standard of impression left by a visiting society is probably less important to ensure you are welcomed back again.

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Funny you should say on that, as I had received that comment quite a bit on my golf days that are normally 36(but no evening meal). Normally the price between 27 or 36 is a few of pounds(or sometimes nil) and I gave the people who came on my last golf day the choice of playing 27 or 36 at the same price but said I would run two afternoon comps(9 or 18 hole) and much to my amazement everyone did 36 holes, don't know why or what to do next year:confused:

Me personally I prefer to play 36 holes and lose the evening dinner meal), everyone has their preferences like opinions, sadly OP a little to far for me to come, but wish you all the best.:thup:
Cheers for your best wishes

The society has crept over into the 50 something dominant, we still have 30's & 40's as yet no one has raised the subject of cutting down the day.
Like I said above our oldest member is 72, think he gets more enjoyment from being out with the boys all day.

Sharing a buggy also helps

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
36 holes doesn't put me off, but the shirt and tie does! #GetWithTheTimes ... that's a hashtag by the way 😉

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm not local but if I was I would def join ONLY and I mean ONLY when the formal dinner attire is changed. I know this is traditional but for what its worth it would put me off. I'm glad your looking at that. Best of luck

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
NO JACKET REQUIRED!!
As I posted a few weeks back watch -this space.
Last Friday we had our AGM and the vote was taken to do away with the Jacket and Tie on all but 2 of our days out. Unless any other course we were playing stipulated it, seeing as a full day is only costing £65 for members I don't think we are playing anywhere posh enough that's likely to demand such a dress code.
For those of you feeling queasy at 36 holes in a day, playing 18 - 27 - or remaining at 36 was also discussed and decided unanimously to remain at 36 holes. The general consensus being that "I've taken the day off work to play golf, and that's what I am going to do".
Our membership is a good mix of folks, everyone gets on and most importantly has a bit of fun.

Even if you don't live local to us but know someone who does, please pass on our details.
Thanks