looking for a forgiving driver

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am not sure my question warrants another separate thread just yet!

I may be in the market for some new clubs having started with a cheap set of Ben Sayers M15 I am now at the point of getting a bit obsessed with the game if truth be told.

Is the hype true? can you really buy your way to a better game by purchasing forgiving drivers and improver irons?

I am happy to invest if I notice a significant improvement to my game

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am not sure my question warrants another separate thread just yet!

I may be in the market for some new clubs having started with a cheap set of Ben Sayers M15 I am now at the point of getting a bit obsessed with the game if truth be told.

Is the hype true? can you really buy your way to a better game by purchasing forgiving drivers and improver irons?

Not quite. A bad swing is still a bad swing. Forgiving clubs are just that though. They make an off centre hit go a decent distance still but if you hooked it before you will still hook it. Think of it as adding more sweet spots to your club. Always a good thing but it has limitations.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

You can buy equipment that will make the game slightly EASIER for you but you cant buy a decent game.
Hard work and ability will do that for you.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

There's no miracle set of magic wands but the more forgiving the better, especially for the longer irons I would say.

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
I get that they are not magic wands and all my faults will still be there but what I suppose I am trying to get at is if I purchase lets say a set of Ping G400 just as an example. Would I notice an improvement to my game if everything else stayed the same.

Or alternatively are my cheap M15s hindering my progress compared to what improvements I could make with a proper set of clubs.

Edit another reason I am asking this because my wife has been using my clubs and a very kind lady member loaned her a set of her old clubs which consisted of a half set of callaway Big bertha GI irons and some Taylor made woods. From the get go she hit those better than mine.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get that they are not magic wands and all my faults will still be there but what I suppose I am trying to get at is if I purchase lets say a set of Ping G400 just as an example. Would I notice an improvement to my game if everything else stayed the same.

Or alternatively are my cheap M15s hindering my progress compared to what improvements I could make with a proper set of clubs.

Edit another reason I am asking this because my wife has been using my clubs and a very kind lady member loaned her a set of her old clubs which consisted of a half set of callaway Big bertha GI irons and some Taylor made woods. From the get go she hit those better than mine.
I think you would if you found the right set, yes. Since I got my Steelheads at the start of the year, I feel I've been hitting them much better than the old ones. Difficult to judge if that's the clubs, or me improving, or both - but whichever it is, once you have that confidence in your clubs, that's the holy grail really.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

In answer to your first sentence, most likely yes. At the moment your current clubs may need you to hit them dead centre for the ball to go sweetly. Anywhere else on the club face will see a drop off in distance. If you tried something like a Ping G20, G25, G30, G400 then the centre spot would be larger, there are more parts of the club face where the ball will still go a decent distance. Either end will still be poor but more of the rest of the face will allow a decent strike. In effect, instead of having to hit a spot on the club face the size of a 5p it would be the size of 2 x £2 coins next to each other (I have probably over egged that but hopefully you get the idea from a visual sense).

It is the same as tennis. Look back at clips from the Borg era with the little wooden rackets, one sweet spot only. Now there are 5-6 sweet spots, they make the game much easier.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just put a G400 Max in my bag, first class re. forgiveness.

If new is beyond budget, deffo look at older Ping G series drivers.

^^^^ Another vote for a G30 as I found it really forgiving, before I have put the G400 Max in the bag which I think is better

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
the Callaway XR is a pretty forgiving driver and now available at a good price given that it isn't this year's hottest thing!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Just bought a Tayormade M4. Initial signs are it is very forgiving. Got fitted and the shaft is lovely. Project X Even Flow Blue. I am of course talking lovely colour.:)

First outing at Sunningdale Old tomorrow, so might be on the for sale section by Friday.:eek:

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Just bought a Tayormade M4. Initial signs are it is very forgiving. Got fitted and the shaft is lovely. Project X Even Flow Blue. I am of course talking lovely colour.:)

First outing at Sunningdale Old tomorrow, so might be on the for sale section by Friday.:eek:
You won’t regret it it’s totally changed my driving best driver ive ever hit /owned it’s a fairway finder for me which I’ve never had off the big dog .enjoy!!

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Highly recommend Tom Wishon 919 THI driver. I have never been more consistent with any other driver.
Another bonus is the price is half of what you will pay for a Callaway /Ping etc .....

There's one of these for sale in our clubs Pro shop, worth a punt?

micklson66

Visit site
There's one of these for sale in our clubs Pro shop, worth a punt?

Definitely worked for me.

Ask the Pro to let you have a practice with it. Most important thing i found was to have a hit with it outside so you could see the ball flight. Tried a couple of different shafts and the S2S White has worked really well for me.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On a similar track to this thread, if looking at second-hand clubs, is there a consensus as to what age clubs things start to drop off?

I'm not really looking to buy anything right now, but having just come back to golf, my driver is an R11 which was new when I was last playing. Would anything newer really be any better, or would the only benefit of changing being having something shiny in the bag, which is fine, but not for me.