London Airports??

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys

Wonder if any of the London peeps on here can help.

We are off to Florida in May and seeing as we cant get a flight from N. Ireland have had to book with Virgin from Gatwick.

Its very dear for us to fly into Gatwick but we can get flights to either Stanstead or Luton for a lot cheaper.

If we flew into one of the other would it be easy enough and cost effective to jump into a cab or tube and get to Gatwick.

We are having to come over the day before and stay in a hotel and our flight back into Gatwick is early morning so we wont be rushing to catch connecting flights so no timing issues.

Thanks in advance :)

Sneds

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi Guys

Wonder if any of the London peeps on here can help.

We are off to Florida in May and seeing as we cant get a flight from N. Ireland have had to book with Virgin from Gatwick.

Its very dear for us to fly into Gatwick but we can get flights to either Stanstead or Luton for a lot cheaper.

If we flew into one of the other would it be easy enough and cost effective to jump into a cab or tube and get to Gatwick.

We are having to come over the day before and stay in a hotel and our flight back into Gatwick is early morning so we wont be rushing to catch connecting flights so no timing issues.

Thanks in advance :)

If this was to happen, you would prefer to fly to Luton, as you'll get on the M25 quicker and I think it'll be slightly quicker to gatwick. I recommend checking AA routefinder.

I can imagine that a cab would be very expensive ~£100? I think Luton may have good rail links into London though, which would be relatively inexpensive? I'm not certain though x

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Check out this link. Some really useful info.
http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/gatwick_luton_transfer.htm

Journey time from Luton to Gatwick via train is around 80 mins and a single costs around £25. A cab is going to cost you well over £100.

Another good link and contains the cheap option below:
http://www.milesfaster.co.uk/information/gatwick-airport/gatwick-to-luton-airport-transfer.htm
Cheap Option via London Victoria
Two things travellers often look for is a transfer that will allow them time to stay or explore London on-route or simply the cheapest means of travel between Luton Airport and Gatwick Airport. Both of those requirements can be covered by using the National Express coach from Gatwick Airport and then the Easybus coach to Luton Airport.
National Express to Victoria takes approximately 65 to 105 minutes at a cost of £7.50.
Easybus from Victoria to Gatwick journey time is around 60 minutes. Cost is £2 to £10
Total journey time is about 125-165 minutes. Total cost is £9.50 to £17.50

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am going to Florida next month, also by Virgin, and am flying from Manchester. Would that not be easier?
If not then I would think Luton then Gatwick by train.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be honest, it is more hassle than it is worth. Getting from Luton to Gatwick is like getting from Derry to Belfast, but with London stuck in between the two. You could get stuck in horrendous traffic at any of a load of places unless you leave tons of time, and then inevitably there will be no problem and you arrive hours early.

You also have the hassle of waiting for your getting bags at one end, and rechecking at the other.

Then you get to repeat it after an overnight flight back from Florida going home.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fly to Luton.

Taxi to Rail stn - £5/10 ?

Train to Kings Cross.

Walk 2mins across/down the road to the Thameslink station....

Train to Gatwick - 30mins.

*Simples*

forget Stansted - great Apt but middle of nowhere.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd avoid Stansted as the Stansted express is proper expensive. Plus, you'd need to then get the tube and then another train. I'd go to Luton and then get the Thameslink train which goes from Bedford - Luton - Gatwick - Brighton. It's one train that goes straight through London. It takes about an hour I think - no idea of the cost.

Hope this helps.

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I agree, Luton is probably cheaper overall using the Thameslink, just giving an alternative if Stanstead was the better option flight wise, although I'm not sure why they would want to get a tube, when a taxi from Liverpool St to London Bridge would be easier, and probably cheaper (without an Oyster card).

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally, I would hire a car from Luton and drive to Gatwick to drop off. Just checked with Europcar and you can get a Corsa for £19.95. Better than lugging you bags accross London.

As long as time is not too much of an issue the journey is easy, although prone to jams. M1 from Luton, then M25 anticlockwise (past Heathrow), then M23. Should take about 90 mins on a clear run.

Have a great holiday!

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciate it but have now changed my departure airport to Manchester.

It still works out cheaper to change it all and then book flights from Belfast to Manchester, crazy but true :D

Thanks again :)

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was gonna cost the best part of 400 quid for the flights plus an overnight stay in a hotel at Gatwick approx £80 plus a 12 hour wait on return to Gatwick for flight back to N.I

Costing me now about £300 plus £65 for hotel and only a 2 hour wait.

Why oh why is there no flights from N.I to Florida this year, we have been 3 times before and the flights were always jammed.

SammmeBee, We going mid May

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was gonna cost the best part of 400 quid for the flights plus an overnight stay in a hotel at Gatwick approx £80 plus a 12 hour wait on return to Gatwick for flight back to N.I

Costing me now about £300 plus £65 for hotel and only a 2 hour wait.

Why oh why is there no flights from N.I to Florida this year, we have been 3 times before and the flights were always jammed.

SammmeBee, We going mid May

Dublin?

Now an easier drive, even from Derry, hi.

My brother, in Dungannon, uses Dublin now in preference to Belfast City or Aldergrove.