Loft & Lie

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've been unsure about my irons for a while, I accept I'm inconsistent, like many, but we all know when when we've hit a decent shot but even then I was still surprised by some comparison results between my irons, so I had my new club check them for me.

These first figures are what they should be from the Mizuno website.

5: Loft 27* - Lie 60.5*
6: Loft 31* - Lie 61*
7: Loft 35* - Lie 61.5*
8: Loft 39* - Lie 62*
9: Loft 43* - Lie 63*

PW: Loft 47* - Lie 63*

These next figures were what my clubs were :eek:

5: Loft 26* - Lie 66*
6: Loft 30* - Lie 65.5*
7: Loft 34* - Lie 67*
8: Loft 37* - Lie 67*
9: Loft 41* - Lie 68*

PW: Loft 45.5* - Lie 68*

As you can see, the average difference in loft was only around 1.5* with the greater variable of 2* being around the 8i & 9i (used more I suppose).

However, the difference in the lie was very significant, an average of 5.25* :eek:

So I had them put back to the Mizuno standard and hit our practice area, and what a difference! I couldn't believe such a small alteration could make my whole stance, address and arm positions feel so much more comfortable, my take-away felt so much more under control and my ball striking was so much crisper.

I started with my 8i and after only a dozen balls had got to grips with the change and I was striking some lovely balls down the range, my ball flight was a slight draw, which I like, and the dispersion was very tight, all-in-all this was looking great :thup:

After hitting around 20+ balls I walked down to collect them, with the ground being so soft 80% of them had plugged which was good because I knew immediately what my carry distances were, and boy what a surprise!

I then returned to the top of the bank and used my 7i and it was just the same with some great ball striking, ball flight and I could see immediately that my carry distances were proportionately longer by an equal amount, not only from what I was working to or expecting before the alterations but also now between the gaps in my irons.

There was a slight left to right cold breeze working against my draw bias and it is a downward gradient practice area but I repeated my workout with my 9i & 6i but was unable to try my 5i, although my assistant pro stated I could use much longer irons from the bank, I was already pushing my luck with my 6i :D

I can't recommend highly enough to get your loft & lies checked, especially if they are second-hand or forged irons and you've had them over 2yrs or more, like me.

Hopefully this is going to go some way to underlining my statement for this season, its the YOTF :cool:

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
100%...........I'm interested to know. Clearly there should be a big difference when you look down at the club when set behind the ball. If everyone's lie angle is correct the toe of the club should be off the ground a little with the flex of the shaft during the shot squaring up the club face at impact. If you're clubs were 5 degrees out then it must have looked horrendous at address. Now, the divot you take should cut the turf nice and square with little distortion or turn on the clubface as the ball is struck.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
100%...........I'm interested to know. Clearly there should be a big difference when you look down at the club when set behind the ball. If everyone's lie angle is correct the toe of the club should be off the ground a little with the flex of the shaft during the shot squaring up the club face at impact. If you're clubs were 5 degrees out then it must have looked horrendous at address. Now, the divot you take should cut the turf nice and square with little distortion or turn on the clubface as the ball is struck.

I think over the last couple of years I ended up standing too far upright and adjusting my arms and swing to the club rather than what I have done now in having the clubs altered correctly and being 110% much more comfortable, in an almost natural position rather than self manufactured.

At this point we have only put them back to the Mizuno standard, which by all accounts are always a little flat, I haven't got on a board yet but already the difference is significant with such a big change of over 5*. I think I'll just run with them like this for a couple of weeks and see how they go, if I need to jump on a board to tweak them I will but as I stated in my OP, physically and mentally its a huge step forward and I can't wait for my next round, although I'm sure I'm going to have to do some more gapping sessions because I would say I've gained about a club and a half currently, I always felt I wasn't very long or strong with my irons compared to the stats I can achieve with my woods, I think with what I achieved yesterday on the practice range, my irons are where I think they should be in comparison.

YOTF :thup:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
timely reminder:thup:

My forged irons are over 15 years old and reshafted a couple of months ago, lofts changing I expect, plus we are not consistent enough for a couple of degrees loft change to alter a thin or duff:rofl:

however, lie is key and we get fitted for 1* upright or whatever, so if they are something like 5* out that could drastically change shots.

I used to get them checked end of March and will do so again (havent done it for years and played badly for years:(, YES, it's the clubs fault, knew it wasn't me:whistle:)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Out of interest Robin, how did you acquire these clubs? Did you buy new or 2nd hand? With the lie angles being so far out I'm wondering if someone else had them adjusted for their swing.

russo

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the post Fish. I didn't realise that clubs need regular checking for lofts and lies. I've got an equipment evaluation session next week so i'd be interested in my figures. Like you, I have been having doubts/concerns about my current irons...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Out of interest Robin, how did you acquire these clubs? Did you buy new or 2nd hand? With the lie angles being so far out I'm wondering if someone else had them adjusted for their swing.

They were second-hand, thinking back I'm sure they were longer also but I've had them reshafted since so that's not the case anymore, think he was over 6ft so obviously adjusted for him, can't believe its took me this long to get to this but its all systems go now :D

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I got my loft and lies done I was told that they should be done each year

I only bought my irons in August but had a few swing changes so going to double check them in few weeks time

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am I right in saying that 5.25 average difference in lie is upright ?

My forged irons are about 4/5 years old now and I've never had them checked. Maybe I should.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Forged clubs could do with being checked every year/18 months. Cast clubs are less likely to vary as the metal is harder.
I had an interesting episode with lie angles the other week.
In AG at MK, I was having a swish with the Apex Pro and their Pro wanted to check my lie angle.
He gave me a Ping i25 that was 3° upright, put the tape on the sole and I hit it onto the board. Bang in the middle.
He then gave me the standard head and I hit that - bang in the middle
We then went to 2° flat - guess what? Bang in the middle....
I must have been adjusting to the different lie as a variance of 5° was not altering my strike or ball flight....
But then I'm just strange like that......

Last edited:

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am I right in saying that 5.25 average difference in lie is upright ?

My forged irons are about 4/5 years old now and I've never had them checked. Maybe I should.

Just thinking the same, never had any of my clubs checked!

Might get this set checked over as I plan on keeping them for a good while......

D

Deleted member 16999

Cheers Robin, Timely reminder, booked in for tomorrow :whoo:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had my clubs loft and lied, and found my 8,9 PW were all 3* upright whilst the others were bent 2* up. always found my PW felt awkward to stand to, but I've changed my posture so having them 2* upright has made me stand taller. Took them on the range and (I prefer to put a sharpie vertical black line down the centre of the ball which leaves an imprint on the face and it will tell you if your lie is out and if your striking in the centre) hit 7i and a straight vertical line in the sweet spot.
Ta very much irons now sorted.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just had my clubs loft and lied, and found my 8,9 PW were all 3* upright whilst the others were bent 2* up. always found my PW felt awkward to stand to, but I've changed my posture so having them 2* upright has made me stand taller. Took them on the range and (I prefer to put a sharpie vertical black line down the centre of the ball which leaves an imprint on the face and it will tell you if your lie is out and if your striking in the centre) hit 7i and a straight vertical line in the sweet spot.
Ta very much irons now sorted.

that shows where you are striking the ball on the face but doesn't elude to lie angle, you need to see the base (sole) of the iron and where it interacts with the surface for that.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
(I prefer to put a sharpie vertical black line down the centre of the ball which leaves an imprint on the face and it will tell you if your lie is out and if your striking in the centre)

that shows where you are striking the ball on the face but doesn't elude to lie angle, you need to see the base (sole) of the iron and where it interacts with the surface for that.

Surely if the black line appears at 90* to the sole this would tell you that the lie angle is correct?

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had all my irons checked yesterday. Each one was weak on the loft, had the lies altered as well as I'm a tall (ish) bugger. Played this morning and they felt a lot better, easier to play with.