Locked right leg

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Didn't realise I do this, but looking at one of Fish's pics from Burnham last week I lock my right leg during my backswing. Is this likely to cause a big issue. I don't struggle for power and I don't have a 'standard miss', it can go wrong in any direction! Its obviously something I have been doing for years so does it need correcting, is it worth trying to correct?

bb7.jpg

Attachments

• bb7.jpg
    bb7.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 114

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do the same so I have to tell myself not to do it, keeping a flexed trail leg until after contact doesn't come naturally to me
Saying this I do get a better strike when I keep it flexed with no thin shots and timing seems better

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the pics to small to see anything - to that though don't trouble to try to post a bigger one. as you can't tell anything from a static image that's part of a motion.

you need to see what was happening in the complete swing motion itself (ideally face on & dtl views & slow-mo an advantage) plus say a description of the outcomes of the ball flights when good & bad, plus what the issues were with strikes eg, fats, tops, thins etc.

a locked out trail leg can very well cause a bunch of issues, that fact that the shots can go 'anyways' as you describe would test to issues with the perhaps a bunch of things some or all of which could result in a locked out trail leg.

but that said there's a bunch of tour pro's that play pretty good with a straight/er trail leg. they don't end to have the issue in a wide variety of misses though.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't realise I do this, but looking at one of Fish's pics from Burnham last week I lock my right leg during my backswing. Is this likely to cause a big issue. I don't struggle for power and I don't have a 'standard miss', it can go wrong in any direction! Its obviously something I have been doing for years so does it need correcting, is it worth trying to correct?

View attachment 14390

Personally I think its a really bad idea.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair enough. Its something that I've always done so it feels natural. Like I said in the original post I didn't even realise I did it until I saw Robs picture. I've never had a pro comment on it either during lessons so I think I'll stick with it, I'm worried trying to change will cause more problems than it solves.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Occasionally, but usually if it happens its when I try and really rip one, if I keep my normal swing tempo then I generally get a decent connection

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The locked right leg can often cause duffs but if you're happy then dont fix it.

If your direction is suspect then the clubface at impact isn't consistent, so my first check would be your grip.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you actually try and play one shot shape or the other ?

If you don't then you will most likely continue to have misses both sides.