Lob wedges , where to start?

Bassfisher

Visit site
So guys I play off 20 and ambitious to get that down. A pal recently gave me an old 60 degree hippo lob wedge, it took a bit of getting used to for me but it has opened my eyes,
And so I’d like advice pls on where to start when buying lob wedges.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Learn to open and close a 52/54 degree wedge and you will never need to buy one:LOL:

Realisticly it very much depends on what you intend to use it for. If it is going to be for bunkers and deep greenside rough go mid (8 degree) to high bounce, if it is for fairway for distance control go mid to low bounce.

Personally I do not carry one, my most lofted club is 54, but my recommendation is not to go to silly loft ie more than 60 and probably 58 is a good starting point.

You cannot go wrong with looking at older models on clearance to start with
e.g
https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Cleveland-RTX-3-Tour-Satin-Chrome-Golf-Wedge.html

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cleveland are hugely reliable on the wedge front. Tech hasn't changed that much on wedges so don't worry too much about getting the latest model. I love a 60 degree wedge. I may only use it one a round, maybe not at all but it's great to have it there if needed.

Bassfisher

Visit site
Ok , as part of this process I’m also learning about bounce which is fundamental to those more experienced. When I referred to lob wedges I actually meant a club to use from around 50-30 yards that would drop the ball onto the green, with little role.
So, I guess that 54 degrees, one club with bounce one without would be a good starting point?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ok , as part of this process I’m also learning about bounce which is fundamental to those more experienced. When I referred to lob wedges I actually meant a club to use from around 50-30 yards that would drop the ball onto the green, with little role.
So, I guess that 54 degrees, one club with bounce one without would be a good starting point?
Depends what your swing is like, a digger or sweeper etc. I've put, 52 and 58 but both have high bounce, 52 has 10 and the 58 is 14, I use it as my sand wedge and for lofted shots up to 90 ish. The drop and stop isn't just about the club, quality of strike and spin are a bigger factor. I would as I suggest go talk to a pro and try some.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would be very wary of getting a high lofted wedge with low bounce unless you have great club control, a very shallow swing or need it for bunkers with little sand in. It’s so easy to stick it in the ground behind the ball or knife it because you’re scared of hitting it fat.

if you can borrow one or get one cheap as chips then give it a try to see how you get on, but in my case it cost me more shots than it saved. Getting the ball to stop quick from close distance is more about the strike than a few extra degrees of loft IMO.

edit: beaten to it :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Remember getting a ball to drop and stop from distances under 50 yards is as much about the ball you use as it is the club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have recently got my first ever 58deg wedge and the thing that I am finding hardest is how hard I have to hit it if I want any sort of distance…let’s say about 80yds…

With me being used to hitting ‘gentle’ 56deg wedge shots for that distance - or indeed more often hitting low bump and runs - forcing myself to hit a 58 hard is…hard. I have not yet fully overcome the fear of thinning the ball from this close…given the mess I can get into if I do. But I am getting there.

D

Deleted member 3432

Maybe use another wedge for the 70 yard shots?

Wouldn't know how far my 60 goes as I have never used it outside of 40 yards max. Anything further is 56 and use spin to stop the ball.

Suspect you have gone 52, 58 with your set up, I know a few years back when I had that set up I found 40-80 yards was a problem trying to stop a 52. OK into the wind but downwind just not enough spin to have any control of the ball on 1st bounce.

RichA

Visit site
So guys I play off 20 and ambitious to get that down. A pal recently gave me an old 60 degree hippo lob wedge, it took a bit of getting used to for me but it has opened my eyes,
And so I’d like advice pls on where to start when buying lob wedges.
I'm at a similar level to you - not an expert, so feel free to ignore.
Since bunkers have been GUR at ours, I've left my 56° sand wedge in the garage and taken out nothing higher than my 50°. I used to use the 56° for everything within 90 yards. Since I've stopped taking it out, duffs and thins are largely eliminated and my average round is low-90s. I'm probably saving myself a few shots per round.
I own a 60° but will probably only consider using it again if my skills improve quite substantially.
Nothing is more satisfying than a sexy flop shot or a ridiculously open faced chip, but how often do they fail and how often could you have achieved the right result with a less lofted club and a putting stroke chip?