Links Golf

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My home course is Kintore, and I'm also a member at Newmachar!

My Newmachar mate who organised our guesting at RA (he's now a member there too) misinterpreted (and may not have forgiven me yet) my statement that I 'enjoyed' Hawkshill more than RA! I loved the front half or more - before the slightly inland holes, one of which was still coming out of the changes by Donald Steel - but the effort was such that the latter ones beat me up a bit! The front ones are magnificent though - and 8 (or maybe 9) rates as a favourite Par 3 - along with Birkdale 12, all at Muirfield(!) and several Harry Colt ones!

Lovely simple starting hole - I've a photo somewhere - that epitomises the 'simplicity' of it!

Excuse the waffle. But it's rather special!!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My Newmachar mate who organised our guesting at RA (he's now a member there too) misinterpreted (and may not have forgiven me yet) my statement that I 'enjoyed' Hawkshill more than RA! I loved the front half or more - before the slightly inland holes, one of which was still coming out of the changes by Donald Steel - but the effort was such that the latter ones beat me up a bit! The front ones are magnificent though - and 8 (or maybe 9) rates as a favourite Par 3 - along with Birkdale 12, all at Muirfield(!) and several Harry Colt ones!

Lovely simple starting hole - I've a photo somewhere - that epitomises the 'simplicity' of it!

Excuse the waffle. But it's rather special!!

Glad to hear it, im playing in their gents open in September :thup:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Concentrate on hitting the right shots in the right way, than having the right clubs.

Ask a pro to show you the knock down shot in 2 minutes, you'll be fine.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Coming from someone who plays both types of courses week in week out, I wouldn’t change your set up. As some said before, longer irons will need a run in distance but the shorter iron you use, if the greens are up to scratch, should still hold especially coming off tight lies.
The second cut, just off the greens, should still be true for putting, especially if you’re not confident with your wedges. I use my wedges with the face shut a little, that gives me a sharp leading edge that’s ideal for tight lies.....not for the faint hearted but it generates more spin as the ball climbs the club face. With short irons, playing down wind, try and hit the ball hard. This will generate more spin. Hit it soft and the ball will run all over the shop, unless you want it to run. Most links bunkers gather the ball, so be wary of the areas around the bunkers, not just the bunkers. Check out the contours of the fairways they can help with shot making rather than going straight for it. Practice a few bunker shots before hand, if you can, the sand tends to be different. If you have a long fairway shot that’s not going to get the green then consider using your driver. I’ve miss hit drivers that run over 200 on links.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing Links this week. Just wondering if i should make any changes to my bag (first time i've played inks in a year.)

Driver
3 Wood
19* and 22* Hybrid
4 Iron (Replacement for 5 iron as it broke yesterday and won't be fixed in time).
6 Iron
48*
52*
56*
60*
and Obviously putter

Available to me I have - 3 Iron (either 180 down the middle or topped 15 yards) PW (Iron Set) and also a 58* Wedge.
Any changes needed? I would take a hybrid out but I feel more confident hitting a low hybrid over a duff iron, but what do you think?

Also any other tips?

Thanks!

What do you play off? Probably just take more balls is a better bet............