Lining up putts

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played in my first Texas scramble on Wednesday and it kinda kicked off with one of our fourballs. A guy walked up to one of our fourballs and said” you are not allowed to stand behind someone who is putting to read there lines”. One of the guys said “ yes you are correct in individual comps but not in a team comp, you can stand behind”. One of our lot asked “ Are you the club captain”. He said “ No”. So basically he told him to get lost and stop upsetting the lads with his rubbish comments”.
So can you stand behind someone in a team comp.
Furthermore I asked “ why did you ask if he was the club captain”. His response was “ the club captain can pull you up but no one else”. I thought anyone could pull you up if they thought you was wrong.
Thoughts me dears.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Edit. This should be decided in advance by the Committee and articulated in the Terms of the Competition. It seldom is - unfortunately - so people just adopt loose and unwritten precedents, which often results in confusion and disagreements such as this.

In a recent post on another thread I wrote that scrambles are a 'fun', 'made up' format that are not covered by the Rules of Golf and are not acceptable for handicapping purposes.

Committees make up rules and terms as they please. I can think of many Rules that are traditionally 'relaxed' in the scramble format. For example players standing on an extension of the line of play behind the ball of the player making a stroke.

Yes you can’t stand behind in team events

That article says - correctly - "Ultimately, it may be up to your committee to decide."

Last edited:

Steven Rules

Visit site
Club Captain has no more right than anyone else to comment on rules issues. In most clubs it is a purely ceremonial non executive position, as it should be.
In stroke play rounds it is the right - indeed it is the responsibility - of all players to correct and/or report Rules breaches they observe. (Rule 20.1c(2))

As a member of the Committee, the Captain has additional rights, powers, roles and responsibilities.

D-S

Visit site
In stroke play rounds it is the right - indeed it is the responsibility - of all players to correct and/or report Rules breaches they observe. (Rule 20.1c(2))

As a member of the Committee, the Captain has additional rights, powers, roles and responsibilities.
As I said the Captain has no additional rights than anyone else to comment on rules issues, as you point out it is everyone’s responsibility.

Which “Committee” is the club Captain a member of that has any bearing on this situation?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

Only if they sit on the competition committee, which is unusual in my experience.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
On a technicality. Scrambles are (normally) not a team competition. The format is that a number of players play together as a side.

See Rule 24.
"Rule 24 covers team competitions (played in either match play or stroke play), where multiple players or sides compete as a team with the results of their rounds or matches combined to produce an overall team score."

I'm still non the wiser

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
"Rule 24 covers team competitions (played in either match play or stroke play), where multiple players or sides compete as a team with the results of their rounds or matches combined to produce an overall team score."

I'm still non the wiser
I'll try ...

An individual (one player) or a side (more than one player) play a single match to produce a single result.
A team is a group of individuals or sides whose single match results are aggregated into an overall score.

Eg in the Solheim Cup, Hull on her own is an individual and will produce a single match result. Hull & Henseleit are a side and will (did) produce a single match result. All twelve women form the team whose individual match results will combine to form the team score.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll try ...

An individual (one player) or a side (more than one player) play a single match to produce a single result.
A team is a group of individuals or sides whose single match results are aggregated into an overall score.

Eg in the Solheim Cup, Hull on her own is an individual and will produce a single match result. Hull & Henseleit are a side and will (did) produce a single match result. All twelve women form the team whose individual match results will combine to form the team score.
But they're still all on the same side? :rolleyes:
Can we just call them a group?

To use a football comparison.....
If you have a 5 a side game, it's not two teams of 5?

salfordlad

Visit site
On a technicality. Scrambles are (normally) not a team competition. The format is that a number of players play together as a side.
While I agree that a scramble side, be it two, three or four players, meets the definition of SIDE (two or more partners competing as a single unit ...etc), when we turn to Committee Procedures 9C it tells us "A scramble is played with two, three or four-person TEAMS."
So it is not surprising that everyone uses different language, the Ruling Bodies can't get their act together here.
My take: it is logical to think of the competitive unit in scrambles as both a side and a team, just ignore the words from the side definition that states "A side is not the same as a team" :) .
I've never seen a scramble yet that created terms of the competition that could ensure consistent application of the rules across all competitors. Some are better than others but all are deficient. If that concerns anyone, you may like to steer clear of scrambles.

Last edited: