Lift clean and replace Model Local rule E2

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Model local rule E2 allows for the ball to be lifted cleaned and replaced and can be used in the general area if required.
What I want to know is can this be used outside the preferred lies period as stipulated by the Area Authority.
I am sure one of our rules experts here can enlighten me.

Apparently our men's competition person has checked with the county but I am not convinced they have given him the correct answer

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our fairways are in a bit of a state and it was asked if we could use preferred lies.
I'm told the answer was no and we had to mark specific areas GUR if we required relief.

my query is not about preferred lies but being able to clean the ball due to excessive mud

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Words of advice

I remember we did consider implementing this but did not on the simple basis that far too many would treat it as 'preferred lies' and not replace in exactly the same spot.

The answer is in the Manual

Dec.1(c) Status of a competition when a local rule allowing Clean and Replace ball in the General Area is in operation
Q. May a club run a Qualifying Competition when a Local Rule (Model Local Rule E2) allowing cleaning of the ball in the General Area is in place?
A. Yes

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Model local rule E2 allows for the ball to be lifted cleaned and replaced and can be used in the general area if required.
What I want to know is can this be used outside the preferred lies period as stipulated by the Area Authority.
I am sure one of our rules experts here can enlighten me.

Apparently our men's competition person has checked with the county but I am not convinced they have given him the correct answer
Does your LR conform to this requirement? It just seem to be an odd time of the year to introduce it.

Such relief should be limited to those portions of the course where needed.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Words of advice

I remember we did consider implementing this but did not on the simple basis that far too many would treat it as 'preferred lies' and not replace in exactly the same spot.

The answer is in the Manual

Dec.1(c) Status of a competition when a local rule allowing Clean and Replace ball in the General Area is in operation
Q. May a club run a Qualifying Competition when a Local Rule (Model Local Rule E2) allowing cleaning of the ball in the General Area is in place?
A. Yes

This is one of my worries to be honest

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does your LR conform to this requirement? It just seem to be an odd time of the year to introduce it.

Such relief should be limited to those portions of the course where needed.

part of our course is a lot wetter than the rest and balls often pick up lumps of mud, we haven't got a local rule, but the question of cleaning has been raised.

The county said you cant do it outside the preferred lies period but it seemed to me it has nothing to do with preferred lies as it is clean and replace. and I cannot see any reference to time restrictions in the manual so I thought I would see what the forum rules experts say

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On a similar theme we currently have placing in operation until the end of the month with the County's permission.

Some of our fairways are still in a bad way following damage in the spring with very uneven parts and bare patches where the reseading didn't take. I understand we can white line areas for AGC but are we allowed to say that 2 or 3 fairways are to be treated as AGC as a whole with placing (rather than taking full relief) and it still be acceptable for qualifying?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
On a similar theme we currently have placing in operation until the end of the month with the County's permission.

Some of our fairways are still in a bad way following damage in the spring with very uneven parts and bare patches where the reseading didn't take. I understand we can white line areas for AGC but are we allowed to say that 2 or 3 fairways are to be treated as AGC as a whole with placing (rather than taking full relief) and it still be acceptable for qualifying?
Yes, providing the County approve. The preferred Lies rule can always specify certain defined areas.

Model Local Rule E-3
“When a player’s ball lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less [or identify a specific area such as ‘on the fairway of the 6th hole’], the player may take free relief once by placing the original ball or another ball in and playing it from this relief area: