Life Reality Check

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good luck Bill - never met you, but you seem a diamond of a fella, from what I've seen on here.

I was/am in the same boat. I can't go into too much details for legal reasons, but I was going along well up to about 4-5 months ago then had to take redundancy. That was one of the worst weekends of my life. I was walking around the house thinking "can I sell that" and stuff (even a Mizuno driver:whistle: in a panicked state).

Luckliy I got a job straight away so banked the redundancy pay, but I havent been happy in the new job, and I'm finishing tomorrow, after 3 months. Again, I start at a new place on Monday, so I will be on quite a bit less than in my job of a few months ago, but sometimes you have to take 1 or even 2 steps back, to take some forward. Hopefully this job can lead to advancement in the future, but at least I'm lucky enough to still be on a decent wage.

Good luck. Lots of people have been knocked for six, but it has led to better things in the future for them. I hope it does for you.:thup:

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Brutal.
Found out a day before our 12 week scan for our first in 2011 that I was being made redundant. My boss was in floods when I told her a few days later we were expecting. It was 10 months before I got back into my profession, Architecture. I can count on one hand the number of advertisements there were during that time. Sent out hundreds of CVs before signing on for jobseekers and just trying for anything. No one would take me on because I was too overqualified. Ended up washing cars for 8 months. There were many low points leading up to the birth, worries, stress, uncertainty. But then it meant lots of extra time with the wee one, even if our combined income was about half our bills for a few months. All the other guys at the car wash laughed as they earned well over double the amount I did with their working tax credits and other benefits! After all my seeking, in the end the next job found me (frustratingly ending with weeks before the arrival of our second early this year....unpleasant de ja vu), and the next job - my current one - also landed in my lap. As it happens, following completion of a 6 month probation period, today I've just been offered my first full-time 'permanent' contract since that job I was originally made redundant. Job security...well here's hoping.
The OP. I think I know how you felt - certainly can relate. Sympathies for your experiences, and congratulations on the new role.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a great deal of sympathy for this generation.
If you have no job security you are always going to be on edge.

Companies seem to be quite heartless and brutal.
A friend once told me that you should never trust your employer. Their primary aim is to make money and survive and they will do what it takes to achieve that.

Well done OP on getting such a positive result out of a difficult situation.
When I was in my mid 20's I was more or less forced to go down a road I did not want to go.
It worked out fantastically well for me and I had a great 30 years doing something I never dreamed I was capable of.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
It surprising (or not?) that amount of people that are made redundant at short notice. You only have to look at this thread. I've been made redundant twice, both through failed companies. The first one I heard about when the girlfriend at the time phoned me on the 18th green just before my final putt that all in the company were being made redundant and to come in tomorrow and collect your things! :eek: The final putt didn't matter much :(.

Like others, it took a while to get the head right and get back out there in the big wide world. And again, as others have stated, it was for the best as I moved to bigger and better things.

I look at redundancy now as an opportunity for other things rather than a threat, but certainly understand that living in the redundancy moment, especially after 28 years service, is hard at first.

Good luck :thup:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thank You Brian , took tues afternoon to feel sorry for myself then out phoning & cold calling first thing Wed

Excellent Bill, Everyone is allowed 24 hours self pity, fantastic that you gathered yourself and straight back out the door. Pity more weren't like you :)
I think the reality of mortgage/rent/bills/family costs hits home rather quickly rather than total self pity mind, its the initial pooing bricks that would scare me too.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Glad to see a happy ending in the original post Bill! Good work my man on getting is sorted so quick. Its one of the worst feelings in the world isn't it?! I had it about the same time of year a couple of years ago and i still remember walking in the house at 2PM and my mrs asking what i was doing home. Like you i got off my behind and got it sorted quick, but I have been through it again since and it did take me 3 months to get a job! that was tough with 3 kids and a pregnant wife!

Good work again matey! ;)

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had to face the redundancy bombshell earlier this year.. 21 years working for the same company.. I was lucky in that they gave us 3 months notice of closure, then enhanced the redundancy terms and gave us money to train.. It was like a hammer blow though.

I managed to find another job that started a few days after my original job ended, but I'm not really happy so I'll continue to look after Christmas..

I'l never forget the emotions that I went through during that 3 month period. I started off quite happy, then I started to panic, then I accepted it and started looking at the positives.. I suppose it's like a grieving process..

Good luck in the new position.. :thup:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I believe that if a company is planning to make some of the staff redundant then there has to be discussion and assistance provided but if it just a straight closure than there doesn't seem to be anything in place.
I have been lucky and was only made redundant once and that was 4 years ago when I decided I could retire early and still manage (just about).

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm glad it has worked out for you - one door closes another opens, the last recession was tough for all - alot of companies are struggling due to losing so much during the recession and need financing for future works now things are picking up

Its also good to share and get it off your chest

Good liuck for the future

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Through my mining career I was on the verge of being made redundant twice but managed to transfer to other pits at the last minute.
First time in 1992 I had moved house six months earlier and gone from a £4,000 (4K) mortgage to a £35, 000 mortgage. I sat at the top of my garden with my head in my hands thinking what have I done. The transfers seemed to be a kick up the butt. New job, new challenge. I twice took over from two old lads who were legends, within three months it was who's Wilf, who's so an so.
In August I was made redundant and retired. job centre and other training companies were quite useless, and quite frankly had no idea how to talk to miners who had worked in pits all there lives.
The way in which it was done was nothing short of brutal to some. Two lads "cracked up" both good pals of mine. As it happened we ended up golfing and talking and both are now fantastic and thanked me for helping them get out of a dark dark place.
they both said, they have never had as much money (redundancy), cars and houses paid for, wives and kids who they loved. They had everything you could wish for. but felt worthless, and did not know why. i joked that if I was the answer to there problems then they were serious. Both lost three to four stone.
Both are now at work, back to normal and getting on me tits on the golf course so all is well.
Both have said that without there wives and true friends they could not "see a way out of it".
A lot of lads took it in there stride and found work straight away, but the difference was they knew it was coming. A lad collared me in the COOP about six weeks ago and told me he got a job through talking to someone at a golf day I arranged for 70 lads in July. I felt 10 ft tall.
hope everything really works out for you Brian, short, medium and long term.

All the best Tash

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been with my present employer almost all my working life 24 yrs and I've been lucky that I have seen a lot of people come and go in that time and managed to avoid it.

TBH I have joked secretly about how I wish they would make me redundant so I could take the money and do something different or perhaps set up a company myself.

After reading this thread its been a bit of a reality check for me and I realise that its not something I should look forward to or hope that happens someday.

Glad that you walked into another job so quickly.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've been with my present employer almost all my working life 24 yrs and I've been lucky that I have seen a lot of people come and go in that time and managed to avoid it.

TBH I have joked secretly about how I wish they would make me redundant so I could take the money and do something different or perhaps set up a company myself.

After reading this thread its been a bit of a reality check for me and I realise that its not something I should look forward to or hope that happens someday.

Glad that you walked into another job so quickly.

What's it like being Arsene Wenger's PA? :D