Lie angles

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Draw a thick line on a ball with a marker pen, place ball with the line vertically and facing the club face
Make a stroke and see where the mark is
If it's straight then the lie angle is ok
Off the top of my head I can't remember whether it's too upright or too flat if the line points towards toe or heel.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Take your normal stance on a hard surface.
Then get someone to slide a 2p piece under the toe and slide it towards the heal (towards you)
If the lie is correct, the coin should stop about half way across the head.
That's roughly how to do a static fit.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
trouble is you can have a perfect static lie but impact is all that matters. the black marker on the ball is a good one but have you got the eye for a few degree's out? also if you do this on firm ground or a range matt it can deflect the club back to straight.
the only way to truly see what's happening with lie angle at impact is see a pro who uses technology like gc2/hmt.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
hit balls off turf that has some give but isn't soft....look at the distribution of dirt on your club face....if its parallel to your grooves your lie angle is fine, if the dirt is lower at the toe than at the heel then your lie is too upright, i'll leave you to work out the third option.

If you find the lie angle is out but you are hitting the ball straight....don't worry about the lie angle!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rather than leave it to chance, how hard would it be to take them to a pro. I am sure all of these suggestions will give to a rough starting point but if you're going down I'd rather know for sure

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Does it really matter? Never bothered with any of this when I started playing, and my ability to play hasn't changed much, despite numerous custom fits, and various random buys over the net.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The static lie is probably good enough.

How often on a golf course is your lie perfectly flat?
if the club head is already coming in 5 degree's toe down then imagine what will happen with a lie above your feet!!!
lie angle at impact is very important. if it's off, is it because of your technique or because of your equipment? better to rule one of them out.

my clubs are 1 inch longer and 3 degrees upright. I still attack the ball 4 degrees toe down (I'm working on it) that would be 7 degrees toe down with standard club. that would lead to constant thin/toe strikes that miss right

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That's roughly how to do a static fit.
Which may be a reasonable starting point, but is actually fairly pointless - it's the 'dynamic' (lie at impact) fit that's important! And Lie Board and tape is the way to determine that.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
There's really no substitute for Lie Board and tape!
According to a master club builder I've dealt with, the technique using a line drawn on the ball works just fine. He told me he does it that way nowadays because the tour pros he builds clubs for hit his lie boards so hard they were destroying them!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Off the top of my head I can't remember whether it's too upright or too flat if the line points towards toe or heel.
If it's out, it'll do both - depending on which 'end' of the line! Top end nearer the toe will mean too upright, I believe.

Needs a particularly sensitive eye to notice, compared to a lie board, though.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If it's out, it'll do both - depending on which 'end' of the line! Top end nearer the toe will mean too upright, I believe.

Needs a particularly sensitive eye to notice, compared to a lie board, though.
I refer the Honourable Gentleman to the reply above this one....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if the club head is already coming in 5 degree's toe down then imagine what will happen with a lie above your feet!!!
lie angle at impact is very important. if it's off, is it because of your technique or because of your equipment? better to rule one of them out.

my clubs are 1 inch longer and 3 degrees upright. I still attack the ball 4 degrees toe down (I'm working on it) that would be 7 degrees toe down with standard club. that would lead to constant thin/toe strikes that miss right

my first thoughts with what you are explaining about you swing problems is - are your shafts too tip soft?