Leven Golfing Society membership offer

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Noticed earlier today that Leven Golfing Society have some cracking 2017 membership deals, and I'm now seriously caught in two minds what to do.

I'm about to enter my fourth year at my current club, and it's no secret that we're a bit under the cosh financially. Our subs have gone up again due to a drop in membership, which has led to me re-evaluate.

I like my current club, I've met a lot of good people and built up a good circle of playing partners. The staff are great and the course is a joy to play in the summer, although perhaps less so in the winter as it does get very wet as most parkland courses do. I'm only 5 minutes from home to the first tee, and regularly jump in after work on the way home for 9-holes or to use the practice facilities, or even just go for a juice and a blether with the clubhouse staff.

We've also just named a new pro, and I would feel guilty of jumping ship with the club in the position it is in currently.

But the Leven deal is in my mind a belter, coming in at £425 for Country Membership as I live south of the River Forth, which isn't a kick in the backside off £200 less than our upcoming 2017/18 subscription. And it comes with £40 bar credit to boot.

The downsides is it is a 50ish-minute drive over the Forth Bridge and A92, both of which can be horrendous if caught at the wrong time, and at current prices around a tenner in fuel for a round trip. It would see a big curtailment in my playing time due to travelling. Plus I'd be leaving all my pals and pitching up at a club where I know no-one and would have to go through all the integration process again.

The idea of year-round golf is a big draw, especially at this time of year. But I couldn't say for certain that I'd use it often enough to justify it given the travel time; I like the thought of a 5-minute drive from home to the first tee, and being able to nip in after work for a quick 9 on the way home. I wouldn't be able to do that at Leven.

With the wife not working, running a dual-membership isn't impossible but it would be a significant strain on finances, and ultimately it will likely be a choice of one or the other. I don't want to jump ship and then resent the fact I have a 2-hour round trip and spend a tenner in fuel every time I want to play golf, but the deal does seem too good to miss for such a good course and the prospect of year-round play. I'm just struggling to get past the travel aspect and the feeling of being a traitor to my current club.

If you were me, what would you do?

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Brian being brutally honest i'd stay where i am I've never played your course but I've played Leven and i don't think its anything special i thought it was rough compared to over the wall at Lundin Links, the only decent thing was the Steak Pie in the Leven Thistle clubhouse after the game. No doubt i'll be shot down but thats my opinion . Are no links closer to your side of Edinburgh.

Jungle

Head Pro
Visit site
As a member of the Thistle, I love Leven, especially its rough edges.

However an hour each way is a big commitment and will more than likely have a really significant impact on the amount of times you get to play, particularly in the summer where your maybe used to playing 3 - 4 times a week.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm based in Edinburgh and play golf at Duddingston. I've often considered a number of courses that are further away, notably Scottscraig, the Dukes or some of the Fife links.

Here's the thing though, I'm 20 minutes door to door to my club, I work 5 minutes from the club and generally I can be there without thinking about it.

If I went further a field I wouldn't be there for an hours practice after work, I wouldn't play midweek medals, I'd have to justify 10-20 quid petrol every time I played, off-setting any financially benefit and my social time at the club would be seriously shortened. Ultimately I wouldn't go.

Would I join a course on a country membership if the price was right, hell yeah. Would it be my only membership, not in a million.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Too far to travel on a regular basis Brian, try something a bit nearer like Bathgate, Shotts or Greenburn for a wee change.
Don't forget we still have our prize winning 4 ball at Dunblane to arrange, maybe in the Spring, plus a game at my place :thup:

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with Steve on this. Leven Links is certainly the lesser of the two between it and Lundin Links, but then that's reflected in the fees. Having been a resident in West Lothian for most of my days, and having watched Pumphy grow from a 9 hole to an 18 hole course I was rather disappointed in the drainage of a relatively new course. My best friend, who like me was a member at Uphall for over 20 years, has recently moved to Ratho Park which has always been in excellent condition and normally on full greens all year although they are remodelling the 15th at the moment. Members are extremely warm and friendly and there appears to be a fair number of competitions all year round. If I were ever to return to WL, it would be the course I would choose.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Leven has some great golf holes but agree that it's really rough around the edges. Had the impression of a club needing a good shake and some investment clearly needed to improve a tired and very dated clubhouse. However I couldn't fault the greens at all and overall having good putting surfaces all year round has to be a bonus over any soggy winter parkland course.

18th is a brilliant hole.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
with the travel alone i would stay put, lets face it its an hour on a good day, what would it be on a bad one;)

might also be worth looking into how many comps you are allowed to play. When i had country membership at Moray, i was only allowed to play 10 comps over the year.

I also remember when we played there in forum meet one of they guys who was a a member told me it was difficult to get times now and again, I'm sure there were guys queuing to get times while we where there???

i would stay put.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Bloody hell its no contest!! You've just give plenty of reasons to stay at your current club!
You are 5 mins from practice! I live 5 mins from my club and when the wife is whinging on - I get in the car and go to the practice field! haha! If you're saying a 10 round trip fuel - it'll take 20 rounds and then there's your money for your old club! whereas £1 fuel to you current club!
Think after a good round - 5 mins home to tell the family - bad round easy to get over whereas you'd stew for 50mins on way back from new club!
in the long run - you'll use the membership more at your current club and save in fuel! yes it gets wet in the winter but which course doesn't lets me honest!!!!

D

Deleted member 21258

I'd stay put as I know I'd get sick of making the trip once the honeymoon period was over.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I used to travel to a club(Hainault, closer to London than I lived in rochford) about a similarish length of drive, I loved the 36 holes there but depending on traffic could be a nightmare journey. I don't think I ever nip down to play, only when I had arrange a game etc. I left after a couple of years due to the journey(and course being very slow to play at the weekend). I personally would not make that mistake again, now I love just driving the road for a quick 9 holes or whatever we can fit in and as a result play more.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Thanks all for the input. :thup:

Have slept on it i've decided that I'll stay put at Pumphy for the time being; I really can't justify the cost of added travel time and money to my game of golf, and as Qwerty rightly states I'd probably get sick of the driving once the initial attraction had worn off.

Once the better weather is in and there's a free weekend in the calendar, I might get some of you Scottish boys in for a game at my place... watch the Arrange a Game thread. ;)

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd agree, stay put, the travel would put me right off and to be honest it's nowhere near as good a course as lundin but then again it's half the price of lundin! Do Leven or another links course like Craigielaw or somewhere not offer a winter membership that would be more suitable to what you're looking for and that you could use at this time of year??

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do Leven or another links course like Craigielaw or somewhere not offer a winter membership

Found this on their Facebook page, not ideal as Mo
nday to Friday
WINTER MEMBERSHIP OFFER 2016/7.
Looking to play a Championship Links course this winter....Then Look no further than our superb winter membership.
From NOV 1st - FEB 28th
Mon - Friday
£150.
This is superb value..on a links that's always in fantastic condition.
For more info call 01333 421390 or email
Pro@levenlinksprofessionalshop.com