Letting people pass

D

Deleted member 23270

The correct method is to wait to be called through although some people on here think it's best to fire balls over the heads of the group in front (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here we go, another 20 page debate coming up no doubt. :LOL:

Many years ago it was written in golflore that 'singles have no standing' i.e. you did not have to let a single player through, for whatever reason. This was removed donkeys years ago, but plenty of old duffers in clubs think it still exists and won't let singles through on that basis. If you do catch a group up on the tee there's obviously no harm in politely asking if you can play through, especially if there's three of them and one of you. If they say no they are idiots.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The etiquette is that slower groups should step aside and invite quicker ones to play through. It is pretty simple when written down like that isn't it?

Then the problems begin. Orikoru nailed it with his post. You also have those who don't believe they are slow and so shouldn't stand aside, those who just never let people through, ever, and those who come up with a list of reasons why there is no point in letting you through. It is one of golfs great annoyances I'm afraid.

Incidentally, no harm in asking if you catch a group and they fail to offer to let you through. There may be a legitimate reason, there can be on occasions, but at least make them explain and squirm a bit.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Ive found that if you catch most groups on the tee box they will let you play through but i tend to just chuck a few balls around the green and get some practice in so im not hang around on the tee box waiting for them, obvs doesnt work if another group right behind you.

Did you catch up to them on the tee box and they didnt offer for you to play through? Thats just them being idiots im afraid.

Most groups would just let you tee off, play the hole along with you but you putt out first and off you go on your own to the next hole as they finish up the hole.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never got right onto tee box at same time but was always right behind them and standing about waiting to chip onto green while the 3 of them were putting.
Perhaps if you were that close to them(waiting to chip onto the green when they are putting out they took the “sod ya” approach as they objected to you dropping your ball so close to them.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I pretty much always play as a single and get let through most of the time at the par 3.

I’m a big fan of the group ahead teeing off while I putt out and then I play up with the group as they let me through, it really helps keep the pace up and the chance I will be let through again on the next or after.

Waiting for me to tee off before they do just holds up the groups behind and makes letting through singles worst than it needs to be. It gives the impression I am halting everyone else’s game to speed up my own.

Usully get fed the no where to go line,

From my experience there is always somewhere to go, through the next group! Who are often more than happy to let you through. Usually this happens when you take 3-4 holes to go through the group using this line ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I pretty much always play as a single and get let through most of the time at the par 3.

I’m a big fan of the group ahead teeing off while I putt out and then I play up with the group as they let me through, it really helps keep the pace up and the chance I will be let through again on the next or after.

Waiting for me to tee off before they do just holds up the groups behind and makes letting through singles worst than it needs to be. It gives the impression I am halting everyone else’s game to speed up my own.

From my experience there is always somewhere to go, through the next group! Who are often more than happy to let you through. Usually this happens when you take 3-4 holes to go through the group using this line ?
Well, that is the correct procedure for letting someone through, yes. That's what we'd always do, tee off while they are putting out (otherwise you're just standing around?) then invite them to tee off and everyone walks up together. You will still be waiting for him eventually though, as he plays his approach, or putts out and clears the green, or his next tee shot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I am playing on my own I sometimes pick up my ball to where they are standing and inform them I am skipping a hole.

I do not see the necessity of playing the full course when I am on my own.

Yesterday with a really slow group in front* they let us through on the 3rd. When we we were on the 7th the were about 2 holes behind suddenly the 3 ball group still behind them appeared just behind us and cut through the trees to the 8th fairway shortly followed by a single player who joined the 3 now in front of us.

There are ways where it suits all.

* this group are notorious for slow play but are usually good about letting players through but sometimes are not quick about it. They often end up with 4 or more groups getting past them.

D

Deleted member 21258

Ever thought you are playing to fast and should slow down and stop ruining other peoples rounds by chasing up behind them and hounding them. I heard it on this forum first as well;)

Its all a bit random tbh, if people let you though, when they let you though and so on. Personally I try to let people though after we have teed off and wait by the tee(not the quickest method but its quite relaxed way tbh), my reasoning for this is so the group playing thought can hit their tee shot, without us on the fairway ahead and that group gets walk off at normal pace etc and they get to enjoy the hole without rushing to much. I then follow say 40 yards back.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH a group in front should always let faster players through, no matter is its a one or a 4 ball, won't always happen some think letting anyone through is an insult to their manhood and some still trott out the old "no standing on the course" rule that was ditched years ago.

there is the odd club that still has that but not many.

you either have to say something or lump it

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played at my club yesterday afternoon as a two ball. A three ball was teeing off the 1st. We was right up behind them for 6 holes waiting on every shot. As I left my bag on the next tee I said "any chance of playing through guys? “. They responded" I suppose so but we're not slow!! “

What astonished me is this group was happy to leave us stuck behind them for 18 holes.

Also, old people get the blame for not letting people though. In my experience this is simply not the case. The senior are always the first to let you through with a few sarcastic comments and banter on the way through. It's the young and middle aged that pose the problem

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I played at my club yesterday afternoon as a two ball. A three ball was teeing off the 1st. We was right up behind them for 6 holes waiting on every shot. As I left my bag on the next tee I said "any chance of playing through guys? “. They responded" I suppose so but we're not slow!! “

What astonished me is this group was happy to leave us stuck behind them for 18 holes.

Also, old people get the blame for not letting people though. In my experience this is simply not the case. The senior are always the first to let you through with a few sarcastic comments and banter on the way through. It's the young and middle aged that pose the problem
the 4 ball that held us up all the way around Castle Stuart on sunday were all guys in their 20,s they had a hole head start on us (we were also a 4 ball with two 12 handicaps in our 4 bal) and we had caught them by the time we got on the tee and the 2nd.... to make matters worse they had a caddy and kept seeing them running to get to the next tee... don't run you knobs just let us through:rolleyes:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The etiquette is that slower groups should step aside and invite quicker ones to play through. It is pretty simple when written down like that isn't it?

Then the problems begin. Orikoru nailed it with his post. You also have those who don't believe they are slow and so shouldn't stand aside, those who just never let people through, ever, and those who come up with a list of reasons why there is no point in letting you through. It is one of golfs great annoyances I'm afraid.

Incidentally, no harm in asking if you catch a group and they fail to offer to let you through. There may be a legitimate reason, there can be on occasions, but at least make them explain and squirm a bit.

Add in to that the fact you either are female or your playing partner is female.