Lessons playing worse

welshjim22

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently had a swing check as part of becoming a member and whilst i felt things improved with that lesson having hit 60+ balls i have found since going onto the course that i am playing worse. Is this normal as i get used to the changes or should i go back for another lesson asap?

To be fair both rounds since have been my first wet weather rounds and i did struggle with wet grips.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
it can take a while for lessons to kick in,maybe you thinking too much on techique while playing its impossible to play decent golf like that

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sometimes you have to go backwards in order to move forwards. It's well documented that this is often the case in golf, and I am currently going through the 'transistion' period where I am shooting worse scores althoguh I can see the light and with a bit more practice I should be alright. Stick with it and keep practicing and you will see the benefits of the lesson.

D

Deleted member 1147

Yep - I think this happens to anyone who's recently had a lesson.

You think too much, and expect too much too soon!

I find that 30mins on the practice ground before the round helps no end with this.
You can think about it then and let your muscles remember what to do - then go out onto the course and let your body do the rest!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Yep, it's totally normal. I dive bombed for 4 months after my first group of lessons. Trying to change too much too quickly. Learnt not to try that again.

Recently had my first lesson at the new golf club, and I have two things to concentrate on, the first couple of feet of the take away, and to let the club follow the line to the flag on the through swing before finishing in a balanced poise.

First game tomorrow since the lesson last week, and I'll have to get there early enough to hit the range before teeing off, just to make sure that I have a bit of confidence in the new swing before the first tee.

Not sure what the wife will think of spending another half hour down the golf club! (Actually, yes I do!!)

I've noticed that there are two recommendations on this site as to getting better at this very frustrating game, one is lessons and the other is CF.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Acording to science, you need to carry out something in the same way 1000 times before muscle memory kicks in!

60+ balls in not enough to groove in a new swing!

I suspect when you went out on the course you were activly thinking about the swing changes and trying to play with them. Worst thing you can do out on the course is think about your swing, that is what the range is for! You just have to go out and play your game and let muscle memory drive you. If your muscle memory is confused because it is still trying to adjust, of course your going to play bad!

As per some ones signature, Practice, you only get out what you put in!

welshjim22

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments lads. Unfortunately lack of practice isn't something i can be accused off bank statements and arguments with the wife as evidence. Currently i am hooked trying to play most weekdays. Played today in the dry and scored my best overall score of 88 on a par 64 course. Net -4. Handicap down to a 27. Not great but not bad as i have only really been playing since Feb.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Jim lessons are one of the surest ways of getting you down when you play golf unless it's just a minor adjustment you are making.

I'm currently going through the same thing and it can be a real pain when I can smash it on the range but not on the real stuff!

Stick with them don't "overthink" on the course and you will start to feel the improvement soon enough

My dearest friend and i, used to play golf some 25yrs ago...each week.

The scores were very close, until he started to take lessons, at the time the surprise was that his score increased, mine slightly decreased and i regularly beat him.

However as the lessons 'kicked' in, his score dropped dramatically, and frequently, playing much better than myself.

So stick with it, listen to your 'pro' and take the lessons to the range as well as the course when you can.

I am sure you will reap the beneifits.

Kind Regards.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am making some swing changes having swapped from a guy who got me from 20 to 13 last year (but has sinced moved ) to my home clu pro. I understand what he is trying to get me to do and it is coming together slowly but it is a case of sticking with it.

If it is any consolation I have yet to play to my handicap in a competitive event in 2008 so these things do take time

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I remember spending 4-6 months playing pitrid golf after a series of lessons but then the practise paid off and i played some wonderful golf for about two years-at the time i was only playing once a month but practising twice in between rounds.

My experience proves TonyN point.

Just keep going and keep up the practise.

Bossman96

Club Champion
Visit site
Yep,would back up all those comments. Have been having lessons for about a month and playing worse than ever. However, today played really well and to my handicap for the first time in a year. Can really begin to feel the changes and all the practice coming together.