Lesson Update - No's 3 and 4

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Been incredibly busy at work, which has left me short on time to post!! I have had another two lessons over the last couple of weeks:

Lesson 3: Video session, was told I hit like a girl so we worked on generating lag.
I was discussing different tour swings and used the example of Steve Stricker, his swing looks like my Dad's but he can scud the ball a good distance. Kevin lined up 4 pro's swings on the GASP system, Nick Price, Phil Mickelson, Ernie and Darren Clarke, all very different swings until the downswing, every one was "in the slot" and they all generated a good amount of lag.
Anyway, I was pretty rubbish at it, I've always felt like I hit from the top and can't seem to stop. I was averaging about 1 "lagged" shot in 10. An observation I made at the end of the session was that I felt I'm not finding the end of my backswing, and the resulting quick transition to the downswing is making me hit from the top, soemthing to work on next time.

Lesson 4: Split into two, swing and then short game. I was trying to get my hands high at the top of the backswing, trying to find the end of it! Kevin told me to sweep the club to the halfway position and then pull my right shoulder straight back letting my hands follow naturally, what a revelation! I felt coiled but comfortable at this position and it was just a simple matter of turning back through the ball resulting in a good strike with a piercing trajectory.
Made a mental note to pay more attention to what Kevin says, he actually told me about the right shoulder ages ago, but I ended up fannying about with my swing inbetween lessons that I lost it!

Short game lesson was just getting the proper pitching technique, did all the pitches with a towel held under both armpits and across my chest. Weight firmly on right side, turn the chest back and then through letting the arms get pulled through.
It's important to keep the arms passive, any excess hand movement results in the shot being pulled and you lose the soft landing.
Pitched with the 54 degree wedge and then used the pitching wedge for pitches to the 100 yard marker, something I wouldn't have thought I was capable of doing.
Didn't feel totally comfortable with the pitching setup, feet and shoulders open to target, it's going to take a wee bit getting used to.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting stuff, Steve.

I know what you mean about keeping a note of what your pro has told you in the past. I've been averaging perhaps one lesson per month over the last couple of years and it's amazing how much you forget. I remember lots of the drills but often forget what the purpose of them actually was.

I started using some game analysis software in May this year and it allows me to take a note of lessons and what the pro told me. Now, whenever I have one I immediately jot down the key issues of the lesson and I can refer to them whenever I feel I'm "losing it" on the course. Great for refreshing the memory and has led to more consistent scoring.

Took 3 lessons in quick succession at the end of August because the scoring had been bad all year. What an improvement.

Sorry to bore you but before these lessons I had a record of 29 rounds of golf since between May and September, averaging 54% of fairways hit, 44% of Greens in regulation and an average gross score of 82.9.

Since those 3 quick lessons I have played 18 rounds, the fairways are up to 58%, the greens in regulation up to 51% and the average gross score down to 79.5. I'm saving 3.5 shots per round! Stick with the lessons, remember them and the scoring will tumble. It seems to have for me.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
That's an excellent improvement John. I do have a notebook with the main points of the lessons, I really need to start keeping stats of my round more religiously though.

My main problem is that I have never felt I had a repeatable/reliable swing, and with that brings the problem of fannying about with it during rounds.

I think now I finally have some swing keys which I can "cling on to" and can spend time grooving on the range as opposed to practicing and playing with whatever swing I have.

What game analysis software are you using?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Steve, it's a web based program you can download. I think it cost me £20 or so but very handy. They may do a free trial. Our fellow forum member, Golfer2112, put me on to it. They were doing a cheap deal at the time.

http://www.scoresaver.co.uk/

P.S. Steve, I've just checked and they do a 30 day free trial. Worth a try. Let me know what you think of it.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're welcome, Steve.

The main thing about it is that it's important to be consistent with the info you put into it from the beginning and be honest about your stats. If you miss a fairway by a foot then accept that it's a missed fairway, likewise with GIR. If you miss a GIR but can still putt from off the green and you get down in two then treat it as a par save with a one putt rather than a 2 putt from off the green. (If you know what I mean)

Think you'll find it helpful. I use it to show up which parts of the game I'm weakest at so that I can practice them more....and also to see if I'm improving over time.

Cheers

John

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had another lesson, myself, Steve.

My irons had been a bit off lately and I wanted a tune-up. Half an hour later I'm fading them or drawing them at will with a lovely long high flight, probably 5-10 yards further than ever before. Could even hit low ones on demand just by thinking about it.

This is a major cause for concern. My pro tells me "I have it". Just need to stop thinking about it.

Fully expect to play s**t for the rest of the year now!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds as if you are finding your best game right now J_F.

I tried out the scoresaver and found it quite interesting. I don't think I'll upgrade to the full version (uninstalled if after it ran out!).

It is really important (as I don't need to tell you) to understand the "patterns" emerging in one's game. I couldn't buy a slice the other day and simply weakened off my grip, stood a tad open and boshed it straight most of the time. Interesting what you say about the GIR thing. I'm not a big fan of the old texas wedge but I made a few nice pars with two-putts from just off the green. I won't count them as GIR, no way, if I've missed the green even by an inch with a short iron, that's a pretty wayward shot i.m.o.

Do you choose a specific shape a lot with your irons? I've found this is far more effective than thinking "straight"

Dave

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've eventually learned that my safest shots are fades, Dave. If it's good enough for Jack !! Been trying them with the drives lately, allowing me to aim down one half of the fairway and fade them back a touch. Much more controllable then my old draw.

Couldn't really get it with my irons until today, though. They were all a bit choppy, taking too much divot. Now I'm only bruising the turf and I've gone up a little in distance as a result. Time will tell but it's feeling good. Here's hoping for that elusive "par" round this coming year. Been close a couple of times this year but no cigar yet!

John