Learning to forget?

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
So last time out I scored 34 points. On paper it doesnt sound so bad I know. But I was awful. Type of round where I would make a couple of lucky 3 point pars, followed by 4 one pointers. I could not hit the Ball for toffee. I’m typically a 6 iron off the tee kind of bloke and can consistently hit it 180+ and relatively straight 👀
I’m not back on the course until next Wednesday and im already dreading it. Had a good month with a division win of 39 points and a 3rd with 35 points but all I can remember is this awful round. Didn’t help that playing partners tried to give me tips all the way round which frustrated me more

I know it’s just a game but its a massive personal challenge for me and it frustrates the life out of me when I can’t hit a ball. Tips for tactics to remember on the way round when I’m back on the first tee next week?
Just trying to put it behind me and get on with it but ridiculously as a 20 capper im beating myself up. This game is awful haha

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Regardless of your handicap, this game will beat you up mentally for as long as you play it. Tiger wasn't only the best in his prime, mentally he was light years ahead of everyone.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So last time out I scored 34 points. On paper it doesnt sound so bad I know. But I was awful. Type of round where I would make a couple of lucky 3 point pars, followed by 4 one pointers. I could not hit the Ball for toffee. I’m typically a 6 iron off the tee kind of bloke and can consistently hit it 180+ and relatively straight 👀
I’m not back on the course until next Wednesday and im already dreading it. Had a good month with a division win of 39 points and a 3rd with 35 points but all I can remember is this awful round. Didn’t help that playing partners tried to give me tips all the way round which frustrated me more

I know it’s just a game but its a massive personal challenge for me and it frustrates the life out of me when I can’t hit a ball. Tips for tactics to remember on the way round when I’m back on the first tee next week?
Just trying to put it behind me and get on with it but ridiculously as a 20 capper im beating myself up. This game is awful haha
Thhose rounds are history and you can do nothing to change them. The little white ball has no idea of how good you are it just reacts to your swing. Sadly you have had a peak over the last month but this game is all about peaks and troughs and sometimes form slips away. The bottom line is you're thinking about this way too much. Turn up, relax and enjoy and don't worry about the score

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Getting stressed has never ever resulted in a golfer improving his round. You cannot change your last shot so just get to your next and try to execute it. Everyone hits bad shots, but letting them consume you just ruins your day. Unless you are a pro there is no pressure, try to enjoy the company and the good shots and you will find yourself hitting more of them.
It's not like you are playing everyday with expert coaching (I'd presume) so manage your expectations, bad shots and rounds will happen there is nothing surer.

D

Deleted member 25172

Don’t worry - be happy.

I was on a good run in September, getting 40 points in 5 consecutive rounds. I was flying.

Since then I haven’t had a round of above 32 points, with the worst coming in at 25 points.

It’ll go up, and then it’ll go down. That’s golf. You need to learn to accept it. At the moment my biggest issue is that I have somewhere in the region of 3,531,487 thoughts in my head when standing over the ball, so that is priority for me to try and overcome.

What is your biggest issue? Find out what it is and work on it and you’ll get out of your dark place.

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
All you can do is focus on the shot in hand. Decide on the strategy, pick the appropriate club out of the bag then commit totally to the shot. Accept the result. Repeat.
Hey, that's good! I should try that.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i wouldn't worry about it TBH, if you can regularly hit it 180 yards straight with a 6 iron as a 20 handicap.

work on the putting simples