Leadbetter Swing Setter

Slaighty

Club Champion
Visit site
Has anyone used the David Leadbetter Swing Setter?
I'm thinking of buying one but not too flush at the mo so trying to justify it by checking if they are any good.
Anyone here wanna sell one?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
As much as I admire Lead' and his methods....this creation was a pile of tosh.....

I'm yet to meet anyone who's made sense of it.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have one - it really helped with my grip and driving.

Oh, for grip it's presumably like one of those weighted clubs? I have one of these for swinging where you can't swing a cat.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It makes you swing faster, I think, and with more wrist action. I learned a bit but the main effect was to end up suffering fron golfer's elbow!

AliB

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have one. I also have a heavy training club which I think is better for me.
The swing setter encourages a lot of wrist action which may not be desirable. Perhaps someone can comment on this aspect.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know two lads that have one (dad bought it) and they are strong players. They can't get the snap/crack/whatever to happen at the right time. If using it helped to genuinely increase clubhead speed, I'd buy one.....but it works sort of....differently.....

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
realgolferuk ....it never did ernie els any harm,and he used leads` coachin for a long time...

Don't be silly mate.....Els use a swingsetter?....unlikely.

f.w.i.w. If and when Els had lessons with DL, I can't see how it would have been good for either. Totally different "schools" of approach. If it's visiting Lead that has ruined his beautiful swing with a thorougly more upright Faldo-esque approach, I'd say Ernie made a bad call.

I love 'em both, but why did Ernie want to change such a great swing???

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
didnt leadbetter work with rose too,good swing but is not his and folds under pressure

If you had a choice of the best coaches in the world who would you have?

Mine would be Bob Torrance(as old skool as they get)
and Dave Pelz for short game he was stopping at the hotel our company built when the open was open along with big phil they both are giant men

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Let me elaborate. The word "IF" is perhaps the wrong word.

DL was linked to Els for nearly 20 years starting in the late 1980s and right through until recently.

Now, I can only speculate, but I can't see that Els would have sought Leadbetters expertise in re-modelling his distinctive swing, but more as a mentor and for tweaking. Those of us watching golf in the early 1990s (I'm thinking 1994 in particular) will remember the lazy, draw based game of Els. i.i.r.c. the US open was in fact decided on a hole that favoured Els silky draw over Monty's fade.

IF indeed Els ever did ask Leadbetter to "go for it" and make major changes, then I can see exactly where the problems have come from that Els has had over the last ??? years. If Faldos swing is a perfect expression of what DL would prescribe, then I can only compliment them both on leaving the basics of Ernies swing intact for so long.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
didnt leadbetter work with rose too,good swing but is not his and folds under pressure

Yes.....DL coached Justin before Nick Bradley. Bradley was connected to DL, as was Denis Pugh (going back some!).

If I could choose a coach, it would probably be Denis Pugh.
Unless I make a shed load of cash, move back home and join the Wisley, it ain't going to happen... :D

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Two schools of thought on promoting wrist hinge. Nothing worse than too much overactive wrist hinge & yet many coaches will insist upon hinge as a good thing.

Pro's & cons for too little & too much.

My father has a swing setter he had for a birthday & I tried it & it is a useful device if only to practice your tempo without hammering balls off a rock hard range, though I suspect a weighted club you can hit balls with would be a better all round idea.

I noticed JJB are doing a cheaper similar version of the swingsetter of its own, putting another pro on the label.