laying up on par 3's ...

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think I have ever layed up purposefully. I have smashed driver and not made it a few times though :D

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Birdied it :whistle:

So have i , almost ace it , but that was in general play , I did birdied it in the 1st round of of the 2005 72 hole medal Bournemouth Open championship where i lost in a play off , that was the only time in comps , I lay up once to see how it was , made 4 ............EYG

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
1st at Wimbledon Common 223 yards off the white. OB left tightening towards the green. Big patch of gorse right and a big drop off right of the green that is a real no go zone. Plenty of scrubby common land short and left and no guarantee of a good lie and a real attention grabber. I was always happy with a four here.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The 4th at Meyrick Park is even harder than the 1st. It's 1 yard longer at 245 off the back tee but the ground slopes away short and right and there is a mound on the left that kicks your ball down to the right. Trees all the way down the left and the end result is nowhere to lay up. One of the toughest par 3's I've ever played.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Amateur Championship is being played right now at Royal Portrush. The 14 there is a tough par 3 over a valley which falls down short and right and often plays as a long iron or piece of timber. Playing up short left is a common and sensible strategy.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Laid up on one today - 235 and lots of risk - and made Par.

Driver on 2 of them - Par on one and up/downed from the drop zone.

Rescue on the first (175). Pin high but through the green. Chipped to a foot for gimmee.

Badly beaten up by the rest of the course - with contributions from stupidity and lack of fitness!

Masochistically enjoyable though!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The 4th at Meyrick Park is even harder than the 1st. It's 1 yard longer at 245 off the back tee but the ground slopes away short and right and there is a mound on the left that kicks your ball down to the right. Trees all the way down the left and the end result is nowhere to lay up. One of the toughest par 3's I've ever played.

Similarly the 12th at Wimbledon Common is tougher than its first. 237 yards to a sunken green with a narrow avenue of trees left and right to thread to through. The tee is also a little sunken too so there is little if any of the flag to see. Right is dead and although there is more room left amongst the silver birches there is no guarantee you'll find it or have a swing if you do. Always in shadow and so much damper than the rest of the course so it never runs as far.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
took on the green today downwind on our 12th. 308 to the middle, pin tucked back left. drove it to 6 feet. slider left to right. holed it!

layin up is for big girls blouses! :thup: (I never take this on in comps. playing match play today so went for it)

Thierry

Medal Winner
Visit site
Our eighth, 195 yards, two bunkers short left and thick cabbage tight to the left side of the green that wraps all the way around the back so that's a no no and two deep green side bunkers right which are a nightmare!!

I will now always take just enough club to sneak it on the front if I button it, aim at the right edge and play for a draw, if it gets there great, if not you've effectively laid up short right with a pretty straight forward up and down. Got fed up with going for it and taking 5's and 6's, no shame in a lay up!!!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just managed to find a pic of one par 3 that I'll play safe/short with tomorrow, its 190 yards... what would you do?

View attachment 11132

edit: to be fair this pic was taken right of the teebox as there's a thin strip of grass down the left that you can land on

Ok so caught the ground before ball on Saturday which obviously killed the distance (luckily I wasn't aiming at the flag :D ) so it ended up 2/3 of the way down the L/H grass strip leaving me to chip on and two putt for a 4

Have played it better but also a lot worse

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
oops, sorry ladies!

I appear to have stumbled into the ladies locker room:rolleyes:

no offence to anyone old or with physical issues having to lay up