laying up on par 3's ...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At my last club there was a par 3 some 150 yards off the yellows but just over 200 from the whites
Off the yellows you had about 120 yard carry over a pond....off the whites it was 170.
Lots of the members simply couldn't make that carry so pitched down to just after the yellow tee.

I've never intentionally laid up on a par 3...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
At my last club there was a par 3 some 150 yards off the yellows but just over 200 from the whites
Off the yellows you had about 120 yard carry over a pond....off the whites it was 170.
Lots of the members simply couldn't make that carry so pitched down to just after the yellow tee.

I've never intentionally laid up on a par 3..

Sounds like this statement should be followed by some embarrassing confession!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At a couple of my old clubs I would play for the approach on a par 3 if the pin was in a difficult spot.

Don't see what is wrong with that, brains over brawn wins at golf every time.

D

Deleted member 15344

At a couple of my old clubs I would play for the approach on a par 3 if the pin was in a difficult spot.

Don't see what is wrong with that, brains over brawn wins at golf every time.

Every time ? Every ? Really ?

Great deal of pros disprove that

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When out on my own I always go for it: when its a 'competitive' round I'll often play the probabilities and lay-up.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ive laid up, "out the back" of our par 3 5th. 208 yards. I hang back on driver to hit it high. this takes the overhanging tree out of play which collects a lot of balls and knocks them into a ditch.

complete card wreaker hole early doors. a par here is a shot on the field! :thup:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did it in KOKs at St Andrews - 17th 225 yards wind into us and off left - two brutal bunkers on right of green - hit 9 iron then wedge to 10 feet - just missed putt and tapped in for a four - done what GMac did too - many a time
Whimp :rofl: On the KoKs day i put it to 4ft on the 17th at St Andrews but missed the putt for the 2 but got the 3 .:whoo:

Last edited:

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do duffed tee shots count? :D

Hahahahaha , ed No , have seen guys lay up on the 1st at Meyrick park here in Bournemouth , its 244 yards from the back tees with a valley in between and trees on both sides . This is some hole of the back tee in comps with a crowd there watching , straight shot or draw , fader or slicer and you have problems with this hole ................EYG

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
done it a few times on the 2nd and 6th at Royal Dornoch when the flags were both front ish, no trouble at the front short of the bunkers. go par on both.... take that every time on those.

our 14th as well, short front, much easier put up hill, with the flag on the ridge, far better than on the green in the back Gully, all downhill;)

That is one hard par 3, never mind clubbing it right, being a raised tee. That said, 3 of our 4 parred it, I had a six!

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I might be doing it on the 1st tomorrow!

Host has suggested we go off the very back tees - 175 to a 19yd deep green with water front, right and back!

4th is 220 which means Driver as water front. 12th is 235, so layup/Driver/bunker (Pros don't play that one of the back as easily OB if long!) 17 is 200 over water too!

Could be a 'fun' day! Bag could be considerably lighter on the way home!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hahahahaha , ed No , have seen guys lay up on the 1st at Meyrick park here in Bournemouth , its 244 yards from the back tees with a valley in between and trees on both sides . This is some hole of the back tee in comps with a crowd there watching , straight shot or draw , fader or slicer and you have problems with this hole ................EYG

Birdied it :whistle:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Apparently Kuchar planned to lay up on a couple holes in the US open, one of which was a Par 3, the other a Par 4, simply because going for the pin/green had too much risk. But after the rain/watering, it was not as 'dangerous' to miss on the green.

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just managed to find a pic of one par 3 that I'll play safe/short with tomorrow, its 190 yards... what would you do?

View attachment 11132

edit: to be fair this pic was taken right of the teebox as there's a thin strip of grass down the left that you can land on

4 iron straight at it.

Id then take a drop infront of the water and hopefully get a 5

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I might be doing it on the 1st tomorrow!

Host has suggested we go off the very back tees - 175 to a 19yd deep green with water front, right and back!

4th is 220 which means Driver as water front. 12th is 235, so layup/Driver/bunker (Pros don't play that one of the back as easily OB if long!) 17 is 200 over water too!

Could be a 'fun' day! Bag could be considerably lighter on the way home!

where are you playing? im not a fan of courses that have silly long par threes like this! it just seems like cheap yards to bring up the total length!

if you get through those par 3's @ 2over you will be doing well.

granted the would be a good challenge but I would get tired very quickly playing those holes every day. id probably sharpen up my long game though. ;)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Whimp :rofl: On the KoKs day i put it to 4ft on the 17th at St Andrews but missed the putt for the 2 but got the 3 .:whoo:

Nobody in our group hit the green (rest all went for it) IanG hit one the best bunker shots I've ever seen an amateur hit from one of the bunkers on the right

done it a few times on the 2nd and 6th at Royal Dornoch when the flags were both front ish, no trouble at the front short of the bunkers. go par on both.... take that every time on those.

Great hole, played it once - I'm lifetime under par for the second at Dornoch - snaking putt from back to front of the green