Laying club on floor.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I still don't understand what is being asked!
Laying the back of the iron flat on the ground, using your foot, to recreate the loft of the club. The shaft will show the loft of the club and an assessment can be made.
Trouble is launch angle rarely equates to the loft of the club and a host of other variables will influence launch - head weighting, shaft lean, AoA etc
Tour Pros effectively deloft their irons by around 10°, we probably do half that.
So if anyone does this........they're wasting their time!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Laying the back of the iron flat on the ground, using your foot, to recreate the loft of the club. The shaft will show the loft of the club and an assessment can be made.
Trouble is launch angle rarely equates to the loft of the club and a host of other variables will influence launch - head weighting, shaft lean, AoA etc
Tour Pros effectively deloft their irons by around 10°, we probably do half that.
So if anyone does this........they're wasting their time!

Mumbo jumbo witch doctor nonsense then!

Thanks 👍

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It is something I have done many a time to work out which club gets me through a gap in the trees so it does work for some.
So if you were thinking should I hit 6i or 7i could you really tell the difference in lofts by doing this?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So if you were thinking should I hit 6i or 7i could you really tell the difference in lofts by doing this?

As said something I have done reasonably often with good success. With 4 degrees difference in the lofts it is fairly easy to see which of the 2 would probably give the greater chance of success.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
As said something I have done reasonably often with good success. With 4 degrees difference in the lofts it is fairly easy to see which of the 2 would probably give the greater chance of success.

If it works for you then happy days,personally I think it’s a waste of time.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does the back of an iron mirror the front? If not, its a very inaccurate method...
There are lots of versions, and you are right to question that particle one (accuracy not rules!).
Most will just hold the club shaft parallel to the ground and assess the face angle from the toe end. Been using that for years for clearing trees etc.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It is something I have done many a time to work out which club gets me through a gap in the trees so it does work for some.

Depending on face angle, angle of attack and numerous other factors that can't be determined.

Seems a strange method to use but if it works for you them fill your boots.

🏌️👍

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
An ex member of our club once got DQ'd in a Web.com competition for using a stick on the ground as an alignment aid.
Without context of what he did with the atick, and more importantly a date relative to the introduction of the new rules, this doesn't really add anything other than potential confusion to this thread! There are lots of things you can, and could have done, with sticks that are, were, within the rules - and many you can't', couldn't do - as well as a some you could but can't and couldn't but can...

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without context of what he did with the atick, and more importantly a date relative to the introduction of the new rules, this doesn't really add anything other than potential confusion to this thread! There are lots of things you can, and could have done, with sticks that are, were, within the rules - and many you can't', couldn't do - as well as a some you could but can't and couldn't but can...

It was back in 2012 and I can't recall the exact circumstances only that it happened.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think all I really need to know is.

Is it legal to stand on your club to get your line. A yes is ok, a no with X rule would be brilliant

Is it legal to place a club on the floor to get your line. A yes is ok, a no with X rule would be brilliant

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
10.2b

(3) No Setting Down Object to Help in Taking Stance. A player must not take a stance for the stroke using any object that was set down by or for the player to help in lining up his or her feet or body, such as a club set down on the ground to show the line of play.

If the player takes a stance in breach of this Rule, he or she cannot avoid penalty by backing away from the stance and removing the object.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
10.2b

(3) No Setting Down Object to Help in Taking Stance. A player must not take a stance for the stroke using any object that was set down by or for the player to help in lining up his or her feet or body, such as a club set down on the ground to show the line of play.

If the player takes a stance in breach of this Rule, he or she cannot avoid penalty by backing away from the stance and removing the object.

Already quoted but it is not what is being discussed as the club was not being used to set up stance.