Laughter - the best medicine

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And let's not forget that cobalt is also used in the refinement of crude oil to make diesel and petrol.
But they are working on it...
https://techwireasia.com/2021/04/the-future-of-electric-vehicle-with-cobalt-free-batteries/

It is indeed but in far smaller quantities than the amount used for batteries. In a 2018 European Commission report "Cobalt: demand-supply balances in the transition to electric mobility" 49% of all mined cobalt was used in batteries. Just 5% was used as a catalyst, which is what it's used for in the oil industry. I can't imagine that with the increase in electric car production since 2018 that the figure has reduced since the report was published.

EKuG20YXUAAQ8Qi

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It's not the fact that cobalt is used in any of these products that's the issue, it's the fact that child labour is being used to mine it.
I'm certain that use of Cobalt for vehicle batteries will be greatly reduced - simply because of cost. Cost of batteries is hugely significant to cost of EVs!
There'll always be some sort of child exploitation somewhere in this world imo!
Btw. Lithium (also used in batteries, including golf trolley ones) mining isn't exactly environmentally friendly either! In fact, I doubt there's any 'mining' that is!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm certain that use of Cobalt for vehicle batteries will be greatly reduced - simply because of cost. Cost of batteries is hugely significant to cost of EVs!
There'll always be some sort of child exploitation somewhere in this world imo!
Btw. Lithium (also used in batteries, including golf trolley ones) mining isn't exactly environmentally friendly either! In fact, I doubt there's any 'mining' that is!
These aren't getting any funnier.