Disasters why do they happen and is laughter the best medicine ?

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
Had a 12 hole strokes today. Started ok, hit the water on the second but still escaped with a double bogey. then a couple of pars.
Stood on the 5th our SI 1, Bang slice into the wood, has not happened in months, provisional,bang into the wood. Playing 5 off the tee, 6th shoot another slice, hit the tree and came back out, walked off with a magic 10. Not sure when I last hit one.
Onto the 6th, Par 5, and guess what, the comedy show did not stop their, hit another 10. Really time for a good laugh. Even my playing partners had a good laugh in my company.
Played the next 6 holes 3 over gross, so all was not bad.
Personally I think a good laugh is the best medicine, but why do disasters only happen in strokes comps.
How does everyone else get over these incidents.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
we all have them days mate, ive just come from 2 on the bounce., i think if you just shrug it off and enjoy the company its better, if you just go in search of the answer and dont fail it then it was a right wasted day!

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Having played well in recent friendly games I had an absolute car crash of a round in Saturday's comp. I had to laugh as it was typical. At some point I will get over the card in my hand heeby geebies but until then laughter is definitely the best medicine :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've had some real horror shows. So what. Even if you come last in the comp its not the end of the world and you usually find someone else has NR'd. At least you stuck it out. I try not to get too cheesed off and whingy anymore when its going wrong so it doesn't put a downer on the round for my partners or put them off if its a comp. That is sometimes harder than trying to keep the ball in play and get it down the bloody hole

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find a good throw with a wedge is the answer from a bunker although launching a driver is deemed acceptable too! It can and will happen again tend not to get too worried about it now.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
We always laugh at Murphthemog's wardrobe disasters... and RickG's.

We assume they happen because they allow their wives (or children) to get them dressed :)

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
On saturday it was the first round this season off winter mats. With the fog early on there was 6 groups waiting to till off. I proceeded to top my drive about 15 yards... Didnt bother me one bit, a good chuckle to myself, plucked my 3 iron out the bag and creamed it on the tiger line into the green side bunker, where it plugged nicely... then thinned my bunker shot. N/R on the first. Always nice.
Second is a little par 3. My first went right and OOB. Second went left and into the water. N/R on the second. Thought my round was pretty much shot. I then went and par'd the next 6 holes and birdied the 9th. Ended up winning our little 2 group side bet. :)

bayjon14

Assistant Pro
www.seapointgolflinks.ie
I was not really annoyed with it as I sorted out my putting woes so all was not lost. I was annoyed with myself that I could not put a finger on the driver slice, as nothing felt too bad.
the 6th was just 2 disasters on the bounce.
It is funny that they followed each other, and then by laughing even more I got it out of my system.
I have thrown an occasional club but that was back in my Pitch and putt days, I have dropped the odd club out of my hand. I dont like throwing the hissey fits as it is disrespectful to my playing partners who are good enough to try to encourage you.
I hope the disasters go away for a while and hope to get a good result soon. I am a bit miffed as our competitions seem to be won by high handicappers like myself scoring way above their handicaps and a disaster really knocks me out of contention.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We always laugh at Murphthemog's wardrobe disasters... and RickG's.

We assume they happen because they allow their wives (or children) to get them dressed :)

Oi, sadly that is me. I get dressed in the dark, and leave before the mrs gets up, or I would not be allowed out.

For me, things happen in medal that never otherwise happen. It is medal. Bad luck is the order of the day.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For me, things happen in medal that never otherwise happen. It is medal. Bad luck is the order of the day.

I agree. If I wasn't having a nightmare in a medal I'd be worrying that the world as we know it was about to come to a cataclysmic end. I'd be worrying about it and if I wasn't I'd be worrying about why I wasn't worrying about how well it was going.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
When I used to play and practice all the time I would get annoyed, now I just laugh (albeit through gritted teeth sometimes) as I know I can't expect to play very well seeing as it's only now and again that I play. It's more frustrating than annoying nowadays.

Generally a total disaster occurs from trying to hit a 1 in a million recovery shot after a poor drive which then leaves you in even more poop.... and always ends with a 3-putt! :)