general note - please have a read

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Afternoon all

I just wanted to post a general note to remind forumers on the basic rules, regulations and principles of the forum as there has been a few too many incidents of users/posts crossing the line recently

The full rules and regulations can be found here http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?53425-GM-forum-Updated-rules-guidelines but I think its worth highlighting again some of the most important stuff... with my thoughts in brackets

General principles of the Golf Monthly forum
  • Be polite, respect peoples’ opinions (too many incidents of forumers being downright rude to each other going on at the moment. It's not banter, you're not being funny...just unpleasant)
  • Criticise ideas, not users (again too much of this at the moment)
  • It is your responsibility to know the rules and boundaries for acceptable behavior
  • Do not post public criticism or complaints about the Moderators on the Forum (see the full T&Cs for further information on how to make a complaint to me)
  • Golf Monthly is a magazine and website for all golfers - not just 'better players' and we seek to encourage all golfers no matter what their playing ability. Posts that in the opinion of the moderators or administrators set out to belittle, ridicule or antagonise a forum member because of their playing ability will not be tolerated.

The following is not acceptable on the Golf Monthly forum
  • Posts that contain any sexist, racist, homophobic or sectarian content (Old Firm related threads seem to skate on thin ice from the off and I will consider banning threads about Rangers and Celtic if things don't get better)
  • Posts or PMs that are abusive to another forum member (again too much of this at the moment)
  • Posts that contain swearing. This includes the use of asterisked out swear words (we have a swear filter that picks up and asterisks out words we consider to be unacceptable. It's irrelevant if you think the word is OK if we dont it isn’t! This applies to the word 'feck or 'fecking'. Also be aware the fact the original word has been altered by the software won’t stop you from getting an infraction)
  • Posts that include flaming or trolling (again too much at the moment)

Please also be aware a specific infraction has been added for trolling/flaming that carries 3 points

Moderators MAY give you a warning or opportunity to edit your post and remove the offending words/text but this won't always be the case so to avoid infractions, bans, being excluded from GM opportunities please familiarise yourself with the above and abide by them

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I was younger, I used to help run a tiny forum with users from my school. We used to be able to change swear words to the most ridiculous things (at the age of 14, to see someone getting heated and finish the post by saying "You are an absolute pancake" without the poster realising was hilarious) which helped to take the edge off of any stupid arguments that took place.

So what I'm saying is, I can create a long list of swear word replacements if you need :thup:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well said. It's common place on forums, the anonymity of the username brings the absolute worst out in people. I've actually found this forum to be pretty friendly compared to most forums I've visited. I've recently decided to stop visiting one particular sporting forum due to becoming sick of the pompous, arrogant nature of some of the members, especially towards newbies. The sign of a good forum in my opinion is the ability to seamlessly get involved in conversations from the get-go, and I've definitely felt that here, so cheers guys.

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I haven't been on the forum much recently, it's disappointing to see that you've had to reinforce this message again. Hopefully it will be taken on board now.

G

guest100718

Many problems that untill addressed means little will change.