Lateral weight shift in downswing ** Diagram included **

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
can you explain what you mean by this gary? its not clicking with me! :mad:

This might not make any sense because it's just a feeling and jumbled thoughts in my swiss-cheese-like brain, but I'll try to explain my thought process.

The biggest (imo) fault I had from when I started the game as a kid was early extension ie. standing up and losing spine angle through the downswing. I started the game around 12 or 13 and didn't have it pointed out to me for 30 years so it's a battle to eliminate it.

After video-ing myself at the range and slow motion swings in the garden, it looked to me like the problem was that instead of turning my left hip away from the ball, I was turning my right hip towards the ball on the downswing into the space where my hands should be coming through = over the top (hands no choice but to go outside) + early extension (standing up to retain balance as my weight has shifted forwards).

I tried all sorts of drills and swing thoughts to prevent it happening, but the best one so far has been to imagine that my right hip stays further away from the ball than the left one ie. resist the lower body turning.
Either this really happens and I have another horrendous fault that offsets it, or it really doesn't happen but the feeling works for me. I hope it's the latter.

I can tell when it's worked because the feeling through the shot is something else. Through impact I can really feel my spine angle still there, the club automatically comes through to a really full finish and I end up well balanced. It feels like a proper golf swing but is hard to explain.

I hope that makes at least a little sense.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I understand a bit, I think...

im just getting to grips all this action. I once heard that rory got his power from firing his hips. so im out of the course firing the hips only to be then told, no mate, you are spinning out!

you cant win in this game! :rofl:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I understand a bit, I think...

im just getting to grips all this action. I once heard that rory got his power from firing his hips. so im out of the course firing the hips only to be then told, no mate, you are spinning out!

you cant win in this game! :rofl:

You definitely need to turn them. I'm not trying to stop them turning, but imagining I am seems to be helping me. Say the same thing to someone else with a different problem and it'll ruin them. That's why imo 'general swing tips' in magazines are a bad idea.

What I have = right hip moves towards ball, left hip stays same distance away.
What I want = right hip stays same distance away from ball, left hip gets further away.

Both are turning the hips but produce very different swings.

There's a Ben Hogan piece of advise about keeping your backside against a wall (or sheet of glass, or something) that is relayed on lots of different websites and by different people.

Just found one on Youtube. Maybe this will explain better than I can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWbZoIjEUmw&list=PL33MNhJzYBZDSuc2Bu1e3lN5FQriAoO4b&index=3

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Interesting question Gareth.... I'm not sure the answer really matters... what is an issue is that once the hips are turned and you ask people to move laterally they generally move to the right of the BLUE line in your picture, outwards towards the ball.

If you take your picture and say BLUE line then people would possibly interpret that as the right hip staying back (which is good) and if you said the RED line then I'd bet that people would have their right hip moving outwards towards the ball too much as they'd misinterpret the idea of where the weight is shifting and translate that into an actual movement.

My answer would be that the weight moves down the red line (ending up on/towards the left heel).... whether you need anything more than a decent swing to achieve that is where you could find argument.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Interesting question Gareth.... I'm not sure the answer really matters... what is an issue is that once the hips are turned and you ask people to move laterally they generally move to the right of the BLUE line in your picture, outwards towards the ball.

If you take your picture and say BLUE line then people would possibly interpret that as the right hip staying back (which is good) and if you said the RED line then I'd bet that people would have their right hip moving outwards towards the ball too much as they'd misinterpret the idea of where the weight is shifting and translate that into an actual movement.

My answer would be that the weight moves down the red line (ending up on/towards the left heel).... whether you need anything more than a decent swing to achieve that is where you could find argument.

If I move my hips down the red line. I hit a pull.

If I move my hips laterally, but still allow my shoulders and hips to rotate, I don't hit the pull.

I must be a strange case :rofl:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If I move my hips down the red line. I hit a pull.

If I move my hips laterally, but still allow my shoulders and hips to rotate, I don't hit the pull.

I must be a strange case :rofl:

It's not about your hips though... it's what your shoulders are doing.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
To start the downswing, if my hips followed the red line, wouldn't the line of my shoulders also be changed?

No because the red line depicts your WEIGHT and not the direction/turn of your hips, as I said in post #26....

they'd misinterpret the idea of where the weight is shifting and translate that into an actual movement.

made this crap pic.....

B represents a LATERAL shift from A

D represents a DIAGONAL shift from C

0ozQWaG.gif

The hips aren't 'opening'....

Last edited:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that the golf swing is made up of conscious and unconscious movements. Some things that you ought to be thinking about and some things that just happen as a result of getting the conscious bits right. I put weight transfer, hip slide, hip bump, lateral shift, firing hips, and other mumbo jumbo:confused: into the unconscious thought category. IMHO.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
^
^
I agree. Throw a dart at a dart board and you don't have to think much about it, but if you're crap at it then perhaps you have to analyse what you're doing. When you start to break down what you're doing then the individual components don't make much sense as it's the 'whole' that matters. BUT, talking about the individual components isn't wrong.... only to those who don't want to talk about individual components.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
^
BUT, talking about the individual components isn't wrong.... only to those who don't want to talk about individual components.

No its not wrong I agree with you but it does depend on what individual components you would be talking about. Basic individual components or advanced stuff that arguably should be happening involuntarily?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
No its not wrong I agree with you but it does depend on what individual components you would be talking about. Basic individual components or advanced stuff that arguably should be happening involuntarily?

Things can only happen properly 'involuntarily' if you've set them up correctly to do so... if not you should 'involuntarily' do something different.

Millbrook

Visit site
Gareth,

Try Dan Whitakers video on the transition;
http://danwhittakergolf.com/

Presuming that you are not talking about swaying then the lateral shift is contained in the rotation.
Weight goes in the direction of the blue line and ends up on the red line as the rotation finishes.

I cannot get my head round how I could shift weight along the red line alone.

Regards

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gareth.
When at the top of your backswing with your back facing the target it would be quite difficult to move your hips in a diaginal direction. I would start by moving my left knee over my left foot, this will initiate the lateral weight shift of the hips while the shoulders are still turned, the arms will drop down to bring the club into the slot, I would then start to rotate my hips, shoulders and torso through.