My swing **Video Included**

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had my first lesson of the winter last night and something very strange has happened. My back swing has gotten longer.

From the last video I had filmed in April (Below) I'm making something more of a better turn now than I was then:

Then:

Capture.1PNG_zps9eq4on6f.png

Now:

Capture_zpsnbankizc.png

This is something I have not worked on :mad:

Over the course of the season, I have made much more of an effort to set up to the ball correctly, with my body aligned correctly.

In the video from April, my hips and shoulders are closed to the target, after last nights lesson, they are in a much better place.

Here's the latest clip, apologies for the quality it was dark when filmed and I've had to use some of YouTube's features to try and brighten it up (Swing starts at 0.50 seconds), it's not as graing as the screen picture:

[video=youtube;khG5PJAI884]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khG5PJAI884[/video]

Hopefully you can see it's a little longer in the back swing and my alignment is better(?).

From that video the ball started a little more right than I wanted but did try an get back to the target. Missed target to the right.

The main things my pro wants me to work on are posture related, specifically he thinks I have my weight a little too much on my toes at address. He wants me to feel like I have a little more weight back towards my heel (Emphasis on 'feel').

The main thing we will be working on over the winter is my lateral head movement in the downswing, but that's for another thread :)

Any observations you feel worth mentioning would be appreciated.

.... And just for you Baz, clean shoes :rofl:

daverollo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nice one. I nearly posted a video from my lesson yesterday as the full swing rebuild has started.

Two observations if I may, and I am sure better golfers will correct me.

1) That right leg still appears to straighten on the backswing. Be good to keep some shape to it and keep it flexed. One of the keys to a powerful swing IMO

2) The plane looks just a little flat. At the top of the back swing you can still see your right shoulder, with the arm/hands a little higher you would have a better path into the ball and a crisper strike.

Keep up the good work :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You seem a little 'stiff' to me!

Would a little more flex in the knees help? It might also be a bad idea, depending on previous traits!

Is the pretty locked left arm on the downswing deliberate?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
You seem a little 'stiff' to me!

Would a little more flex in the knees help? It might also be a bad idea, depending on previous traits!

Is the pretty locked left arm on the downswing deliberate?

Not hit any balls for 2 weeks. That may contribute to the stiff look :)

As for deliberate use of left arm, not at all pal.

Any reason you ask

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not hit any balls for 2 weeks. That may contribute to the stiff look :)

As for deliberate use of left arm, not at all pal.

Any reason you ask

Perhaps the vid isn't typical then!

No particular reason, though it does seem rather 'locked'! Perhaps connected to the 'one-plane-ing', but looks a little contrived/out of sync (or maybe the camera angle) with what the torso is doing.

Then again, I'm more used to observing 2-plane action, where the arms 'drop into the slot', so that may be the reason it looks odd - to me!

Just keep doing what your trainer says though! He's the one with the plan, and it seems to be working!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
looks better, what is your handicap ?

Did that shot go right ?

TBH AMcC, I'm not bothered how it looks, I'd rather functional over pretty :D.

Yes, the ball started further right then intended. It did try and come back to target, but not enough.

Missed target about 10 yards right.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TBH AMcC, I'm not bothered how it looks, I'd rather functional over pretty :D.

Yes, the ball started further right then intended. It did try and come back to target, but not enough.

Missed target about 10 yards right.

Absolutely, as long as it can repeat and get the job done.

Must be paying attention on my own lessons and listening to the pro to see that your shot went right

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Absolutely, as long as it can repeat and get the job done.

Must be paying attention on my own lessons and listening to the pro to see that your shot went right

Exactly.

My issue comes from a lateral move into the ball (slide) which I'm currently in the process of correcting.