Lateral Weight Shift at Transition.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dave's got players on all tours with out going in to names, players on winning Ryder/solheim cup teams, multiple winners on tour, he's in the golf monthly top 25 coaches,
I can only say my experience working with him is more consistent lower scoring, something must be right with his method

Can see for sure he is an experienced and well respected coach, and rightly so. No doubt has had great success with all levels of players.

Just surprised some by what appears to be a cornerstone of his coaching philosophy, highly unusual piece of advice to give as a basic instruction to all golfers, not trying to say he's wrong in his own particular viewpoint on this at all though.

Just very surprised as it's not a fundamental in the way it's expressed in the vid that 99% of current teachers would use.

No doubt both knees move target side a ways, no doubt it's important both knees do this, no doubt hugely important that the trail knee moves forward some to the front knee.

But the instruction that regardless of any golfers individual swing motion, the transition & downswing should start with both knees moving to target at the same time, is, no doubt a strange one for sure too. Sure you don't want any lateral movement from the lower or upper body, no sway away from target, it's a turn.

But you do need a small lateral movement of the lower body to target before the hips turn & clear, the upper body, head, stays behind, & the spine posture particularly the spine tilt away from target crucial for the sternum being able to stay fairly central & the right shoulder to move downwards, under & through to target along with the right hip, thigh & knee. Without the lower body small lateral towards target move the hips just spinout along with the shoulders arms/hands & club leading to disaster always.

Many though will have, as I have, used the instruction to folks of a 'feel' that the trail knee kicks in & the trail foot rolls to target to remind even the accomplished elite golfers who have gotten a tad lazy with weight through impact & had only say 60% weight on the lead leg instead of 80%+.

Or indeed to less accomplished golfers who hang back on the trail leg & dump the club into the ground some & hit fats or who with weight on the trail leg stand up out of pelvic, and spinal posture to avoid hitting the ground but then because the weight is still behind the club head's travel, have to then flick their wrist upwards to get the club head to the ball.
With this too you'd give them the instruction (with some other thoughts) of 'feeling' that trail knee 'kicks in' sooner, that the trail foot rolls on to the inside to aid them getting the weight to the front foot & leg.

But both knees going to target at once, am amazed to be honest not a move you see across the Tour professional's or top amateur level either, when you actually observe what happens at start of transition. You would never ever see the squat position every top player exhibits in their swing motion if that were to happen. The squat the gap between the knees widening, a move if you go back to look say at Sneed, is very evident in his swing back then too.
The way it comes over in the vid is it's not a 'feel' guidance but an actuality, any golfer is to make both knees move target ways at the same time, evidence of swing motions would prove this not to be the case. That's I suppose what I find most surprising about it.

This both knees move at once, together, to me, does seem to lend itself more to a time when the arms & hand action were considered the most important factor in both timing, accuracy & distance, when the swing was "two turns and a swish"!
Although still a hugely important part of the swing, most realize now the larger muscles of the torso, shoulders, legs & hips through ground force act as the governors of the motion & it's preferable because that can deliver a squarer face through impact on a much more consistent basis, than trying to time impact conditions with the & more active hands & arms.

Good you are experiencing success with your game, long may that continue, your coach successes too.

Last edited: