Late switch... Couldn't be happier.

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To make a very long story short... Great Barr have just missed out on £2,500 plus how ever much more we were willing to pump into the clubhouse.

After commuting back from London for an interview and being told I could do my 9 holes with the pro the following day I was looking forward to joining my local(ist) (if that's a word :-s) golf club. I put the snobby remarks to the back of my mind I had experienced at the open day and interview because I wanted to join A club as soon as I could.

People might think it's mad but I'm definitely a here and now kind of person. If something can be sorted there and then and it costs more... I always pay for convenience.

Anyway... After being let down by the pro the next day and told it would be a week before he could get me in I bit my Tongue as I didn't want to become a member people would think was a moaner from day one. He did however say he would get his assistant to call and iron out a time for me. This call never came and another 4 promises of a call also never came.

I decided to forget it and book the 9 for as soon as the head pro could do as I clearly weren't getting a call soon. When I spoke to the pro he was polite as ever (for the people on here that don't take jokes well that was sarcasm) and said don't forget your £30. I asked what £30 and he replied for his time. Now I can understand you pay for a pro in lessons etc but at the open day, in our membership pack and at the interview the £30 was never mention in the full breakdown of what it costs to join and the 9 holes were mentioned. I thought after me chasing the club to practically hand over just short of £1200 how can their communication be so poor. It's asif they didn't want my money...

I told the pro I weren't happy that I have had bad service before I have even handed you my subs and joining fee upfront and he said he would get someone to ring me. A member of the committee who interviewed me called and said sorry we never called you back I can see that's not great but you won't get a better club than here... We don't really need new members at this club! I was shocked and enjoyed the rest of the phone call where I told him thanks for calling me back but jog on I will find a club who does want new members.

I can't believe in this climate how a club would treat people so badly and be so up themselves. I'm actually glad this happened now as I went and had a round at a place a few mile away played a round which cost me £30 and joined when I finished. They took the £30 off my subs and sorted me out there and then. The course is in great nick. ( prob not the best in the midlands but a lot more adventurous with water and I get free fishing membership, squash court use and of course all of the usual stuff)

Not only member had said hello when I had gone to the other club in 3 visits where as from the moment I stepped out of my car today I was greeted with friendly people who would look for eye contact and say morning to anyone. The staff are brilliant and the food smelt good as the bar runs a big carvery on a Sunday.

Anyway sorry to bore you all (if still reading) but I'm over the moon with my choice and can't wait to get an official handicap and play some proper golf.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you were lucky to see the true colours of the club and those who represent it before you were committed to a year there!

Hope the new place continues to impress :thup:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the club is doing well and dont really need members so be it but it was bad manners as a minimum not to even call you back.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
its so important to find a club you feel comfortable with.

I looked at one recently without telling them I wanted to join, pro and assistant pro both were mono syllabic with communication and it was like drawing teeth asking about anything, if thats what its like before I fork out £2 grand in year on (with entrance fees) what will their attitude be like after I pay.

Clubs have to act like commercial business's these days and 'sell' their club, they will make more money longer term.

well done OP, sounds like you dodged a bullet there

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Where did you join mate I'm looking for a proper club next season and Wishaw has caught my eye.

Cheers guys!

DaveyBoy - Wishaw is a great club and just like mine in terms of friendly members, i love the signature hole at Wishaw. Had I not left Sutton I would of joined. I have joined Calderfields. I can't get over how well looked after it is and considering the weather we have had. I know it's not the most prestige of clu s but I'm definitely a high handicapper and it's everything I need for now.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sounds like the right result in the end. Whether the club needs members or not there is no call in this day and age for it to act like a 1980's stereotype throwback. Glad you told them where to go

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Glad you got sorted and joined up sounds like a lucky escape the attitude stinks if the club you nearly joined don't want new members why have an open day etc. Enjoy you new friendly place better a cheery smile and good morning rather than a scowl and a volley of abuse for changing your shoes in the car park happy golfing.

golfdub

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't get why they held an open day for new members if they didn't want any new members. Sounds like there up Them selfs.
Have fun on your new track ;)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the club is doing well and dont really need members so be it but it was bad manners as a minimum not to even call you back.

I agree with Chris, Golf is a game of etiquette and manners and that lot have not displayed any at all. Sounds like you are better off out of it Davey.
Enjoy your membership and all the joys it brings :thup:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The course is in great nick. ( prob not the best in the midlands but a lot more adventurous with water and I get free fishing membership, squash court use and of course all of the usual stuff)..... and a divorce!!

Added a bit for you there :)

Sounds great, enjoy meeting some new friends, try and get home once in a while :thup:

keepersunion

Medal Winner
Visit site
I went through something very similar with a local club last year and ended up at Calderfields too! Lovely place, course is a tad "straight" and "up and down" but the members are very nice. Hope you've fit well in already. If you're ever in need of a playing partner, there are many that will invite you out, including myself!

richj

Hacker
Visit site
hi....newbie here. had a look at Calderfields the other day.the staff etc..couldnt have been more helpful,and the membership prices were very reasonable too.im in the great barr area,so it sounds like 'ill have to give the GB golf club a wide berth.
let us know how you get on at Calderfields, Davey G.

keepersunion

Medal Winner
Visit site
Like I said, been there for fourteen months and play at least three times a week! They rarely close the course, and constantly putting money in to improve the course. Maybe no joining fee too?