Laser rangefinder advice

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hello everyone,
after some rangefinder recommendations . Ideally one with slope and pin confirmation.
anyone got one they’d recommend?Thanks

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hello everyone,
after some rangefinder recommendations . Ideally one with slope and pin confirmation.
anyone got one they’d recommend?Thanks
Hard to go past Bushnells for performance and reliability. Only issue is cost, so I'd opt for Used slightly older model on Gumtree (can be iffy) or reliable/high near 100% feedback Ebayer.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Lasers are all accurate. Check out Boblov and Nikon.
Avoid ones with slope. Added expense for something you can't use when it matters.
I use it in every league match and club knockout (unless specifically banned by those tournaments) and all friendly knocks at my place and any other. I find it very helpful, and I've now remembered the rough elevation percentages at my home club thanks to it, medals and stablefords don't need it. And it is very useful for the way I play golf.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use it in every league match and club knockout (unless specifically banned by those tournaments) and all friendly knocks at my place and any other. I find it very helpful, and I've now remembered the rough elevation percentages at my home club thanks to it, medals and stablefords don't need it. And it is very useful for the way I play golf.

You use the slope function in league matches and club knockouts?

I thought the rules of golf did not allow the use of the slope function?

Bratty

Visit site
It's clear it cannot be used in medals or stablefords or any "qualifying" events, but my league matched are 4BBB, and knockouts are greensomes, foursomes and 4BBB, none of which are qualifying events.
I can find nothing in the rules to say I can't use slope in non-qualifying tournaments, and unless the committee has specifically stated it for the rules of said non-qualifying comps, then I have used it.
More than happy for someone to show me the rule if I'm wrong though, and I'll then stop using slope from immediate effect.

Bratty

Visit site
Can you point us to the rule saying precisely that?
No I can't, and that's my issue. That's been my assumption from every review of slope rated devices and posts online I want someone to point me to the exact rules.

Bratty

Visit site
I also hope I haven't derailed the purpose of the OP's thread and apologise if I have!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No I can't, and that's my issue. That's been my assumption from every review of slope rated devices and posts online I want someone to point me to the exact rules.

It’s Rule 4.3a and interpretation 4.3a(1)/1. You are simply not allowed to gauge slope. The interpretation even describes using a bottled drink as a make shift spirit level.

4.3a
Common examples of uses of equipment that are allowed and not allowed during a player’s round* under this Rule are:(1) Distance and Directional Information.
  • Allowed.
    • Getting information on distance or direction (such as from a distance-measuring device or compass).
  • Not Allowed.
    • Measuring elevation changes, or
    • Interpreting distance or directional information (such as using a device to get a recommended line of play or club selection based on the location of the player’s ball)

* Round is defined as: 18 or fewer holes played in the order set by the Committee.

A committee is able to implement a model rule G-5 preventing using of distance measuring devices. The rules (I do not think) allow a committee to allow the measuring of elevation changes.

Long story short. Oh dear! :D

Bratty

Visit site
It’s Rule 4.3a and interpretation 4.3a(1)/1. You are simply not allowed to gauge slope. The interpretation even describes using a bottled drink as a make shift spirit level.

4.3a
Common examples of uses of equipment that are allowed and not allowed during a player’s round* under this Rule are:(1) Distance and Directional Information.
  • Allowed.
    • Getting information on distance or direction (such as from a distance-measuring device or compass).
  • Not Allowed.
    • Measuring elevation changes, or
    • Interpreting distance or directional information (such as using a device to get a recommended line of play or club selection based on the location of the player’s ball)

* Round is defined as: 18 or fewer holes played in the order set by the Committee.

A committee is able to implement a model rule G-5 preventing using of distance measuring devices. The rules (I do not think) allow a committee to allow the measuring of elevation changes.

Long story short. Oh dear! :D
So a round means 18 or fewer holes of golf? Which means I can't ever use slope, as even a friendly knocks is a round of 18 holes.
That doesn't sound right.
And I'm not arguing with you, I just don't quite understand it yet!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So a round means 18 or fewer holes of golf? Which means I can't ever use slope, as even a friendly knocks is a round of 18 holes.
That doesn't sound right.
And I'm not arguing with you, I just don't quite understand it yet!

It is right in the context that you’ve described playing competitive league and club matches. You also need to look at the definition of a committee, who are responsible for any form of general play or competition on the course, and the committee do not have a model rule that allows the use of equipment to measure slope. If they can’t allow it, it’s disallowed as described in 4.3(a) as they cannot implement unauthorized local rules.

Would you allow one of your opponents to use more than 14 clubs in one of your club or league matches? It is the same problem applied to a different piece of equipment. It’s just a fundamentally disallowed rule of golf.

The mistake I think you’ve made is the assumption that handicap qualifying dictates whether or not certain rules are in place and that is simply not the case, it’s a misconception.

I’m not arguing either, I’m not a rules guru but I think I understand this issue reasonably well from an issue that was presented to my club’s committee when I did my time a few years ago. A league match and club knockout can never be a “friendly knock” so you’re in a very awkward position now.

Bratty

Visit site
Then maybe a better question for me to ask is, "when can I use slope on a rangefinder?". Answers on a postcard, please.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Then maybe a better question for me to ask is, "when can I use slope on a rangefinder?". Answers on a postcard, please.

When you’re practicing rather than playing a game. Practice isn’t general play or competition.

I would also agree, this is a bit of a mess.

One of the reasons I wouldn’t get a rangefinder with slope is because it leads to discussions like this. It’s easier just not to have equipment that’s against the rules in your bag - even though the rules allow them to be in your bag provided they’re not used. :ROFLMAO:

Bratty

Visit site
When you’re practicing rather than playing a game. Practice isn’t general play or competition.
So does that include friendly knocks and I've got to tell Oddsocks he's beaten me twice because I'm disqualified disqualified?

I would also agree, this is a bit of a mess.
One of the reasons I wouldn’t get a rangefinder with slope is because it leads to discussions like this. It’s easier just not to have equipment that’s against the rules in your bag - even though the rules allow them to be in your bag provided they’re not used. :ROFLMAO:
It's a complete mess!
If we ever end up in a fourball, I promise to not use the slope, friendly or otherwise! ?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's clear it cannot be used in medals or stablefords or any "qualifying" events, but my league matched are 4BBB, and knockouts are greensomes, foursomes and 4BBB, none of which are qualifying events.
I can find nothing in the rules to say I can't use slope in non-qualifying tournaments, and unless the committee has specifically stated it for the rules of said non-qualifying comps, then I have used it.
More than happy for someone to show me the rule if I'm wrong though, and I'll then stop using slope from immediate effect.

All matches are played under the rules of golf. It is clear that using a device that provides anything other than distance does not comply with the rules of golf.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So does that include friendly knocks and I've got to tell Oddsocks he's beaten me twice because I'm disqualified disqualified?

No idea. A friendly knock is only friendly until there’s a dispute. Friendships can be won and lost in golf, all depends on the type of people involved and what bargain you’ve entered into. The rules provide equity in dispute but if you know someone well enough to forego that, crack on.

Personally, although we relax some rules (drops from a poor lie, gimmes) some of my friendly knocks can get more competitive than the club champs so it’s not something I’d be comfortable having on my conscience.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Do you take gimmes? Do you just drop a ball if one's lost, or do you pedantically go back to the tee? Do you drag a putt back for a retry when you've missed? Do you sometimes take a second chip when you've hit a pishy one? All = Friendly golf/casual round/bounce game, whatever you want to call it? Surely that doesn't need to be explained, versus playing in medals and matches?