Larger grips than you "should" use.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm waiting for a couple of TV plus 4 grips in standard to get here. I was planning on putting the two grips on my 52 wedge and probably my 22 (set at 24 at the moment) degree hybrid....a bit of a long and short club trial. I have small hands, wear a small glove....but I am planning on going to 3 tapes with these two experiment grips. I have been trying to keep my hands from moving much during the backswing and at least with my theory, bigger should be easier to keep the hands from moving as much. Got me wondering how many people DON'T use the recommended grip size. Actually, the two extra grips I don't think will make much difference....I think the +4 bottom part of the grip will be the big change.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As part of being fitted at Ping, they measure your hands and base the grip size on that. Mine is the first thinner grip than their standard.

D

Deleted member 18588

Bryson de Chambeau and Bubba Watson are among those using very thick grips, Bubba has something like 8 tapes.

Neither have massively large hands.

A teaching pro' once told me that the majority of us would benefit from slightly larger grips as it helps keep the hands, particularly the bottom one, quieter through the strike.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have progressed through time from standard size grips, then with extra tape, then midsize, then extra tape and now Im using jumbo size grips. I see no harm in trying something that might work for you:)

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At fitting I was given jumbo grips. I am a big guy so need them but anyone who ever has a go with one of my clubs comments on how good the thicker grips are. They definitely quiten down the hands and if you suffer with a hook these will help

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Use large ladies / Men’s small gloves, I have 3 layers plus tape under all my grips. Took a few years to figure it out but make sure all my clubs are the same now

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought some second hand irons last year, maybe year before. They have midsized grips on them. I didn't realise when I bought them, only when I started using them. Thought they felt better in my hands, checked the grip and saw they were bigger. I would not go back to regular now.

If anyone has not tried a thicker grip, give it a go.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Whenever I've been fitted it has included grip size. I am lucky that standard with one layer of tape. I've small hands and this works perfectly for me. I do think it is a very much a personal thing but I do find thicker grips don't work too well for me

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the last year or so I had two clubs that I bought second hand that arrived with thicker grips on. One was a wood, one was a wedge. Hated them and couldn't wait to get them taken off. It felt like I was swinging a baseball bat. My fingers are kind of long and skinny if that makes any difference. :LOL: Anyway, I agree with the others, there can't really be a right and wrong on this, you just try it out and if you prefer it you'll keep it. Simple as.

Mandofred

Visit site
Well, after waiting forever for Clubhousegolf to send me my stuff (glove, tape, 2 standard +4 grips, vise grip, Bridgestone balls)....I ordered a couple of Mid size +4 grips from Adoregrips a couple days ago. Both packages came today. After 25? years since the last time I re-gripped myself.....it was easy peasy.....seriously easy. I just said what the heck and put the two mid size grips on.....wedge and driver. Obviously haven't swung them yet....but they don't feel all that much bigger and I think I'm going to like them. Probably won't even mess with the 2 standard grips I ordered. Planning on practicing Friday morning....if they work well then I'm going mid size on everything.