Language on Course

Visit site
I was playing in a pairs event yesterday and the language used by one of the guys in the other group was absolutely horrific. He was a member of the course my partner and I were playing at and we were completely shocked not only by his language but by his whole demeanour on the course.

I had a word with him about it after the game and he just shrugged it off as though it was acceptable to him and the people he plays golf with - acceptable or not?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Probably not but as you were only visitors not a lot you can do. If it had affected your game then you should have mentioned it at the time. I'm guessing his mates know how he is and accept (condone) it. Not saying its right. I use to be a real club chucker and swearer but touch wood have become a little more "mature" in my approach to the game now.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Reminds me, I was in a two ball ahead of a club competition yesterday and my playing partner was teeing up on the 17th, which is right beside the 16th green where about 15 people were stood, watching the club group pitch up. He swings, toes it and it veers off directly at the club group. Instinct took over and instead of "fore" he screams "SH*T". Thankfully he didn't hit anyone but he got a few priceless looks. :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say I had a few choice words to use on more than one occasion which to be fair has been unlike me. I think it was the bunker shot that flew 20 yards over the green into deep rough and the hack out into another bunker that really broke the camels back.

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a real problem with bad language on the course. I hate it when players don't conjegate the verb or use a demonstrative noun in the wrong place.

Cretins!!!

Visit site
I don't mind the use of bad language, a lot of it is part and parcel with the game (especially if you're having a bad day) but when the language is as offensive and agressive as that we suffered yesterday it really hacks me off, some of the words used I would never utter even in front of my closest friends during the worst of rounds.

I've considered reporting him for it but don't know if it will actually achieve anything

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hate it when players don't conjegate the verb or use a demonstrative noun in the wrong place.

conjugate boy. conjugate

Go and write 100 times "My parents did not really waste all that money on my edukashun, did they?"

30 all I think :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hate it when players don't conjegate the verb or use a demonstrative noun in the wrong place.

conjugate boy. conjugate

Go and write 100 times "My parents did not really waste all that money on my edukashun, did they?"

30 all I think :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh Leftie. I did it on purpose. To highlight the poor use of language. And spelling....... ;)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not going to lie, my language is pretty foul on the course (I use the "C" word alot, unfortunately, but only when I'm swearing at myself)...BUT only when I'm playing with people I know. If I was playing in a competition I would see what kind of bloke I was playing with before I started letting my language fly and even then I would tone it down. I NEVER throw my clubs (other than an disappointed toss back to my bag 3 feet away) and if there are other groups around I will keep my language as clean as possible.

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I hit a really bad one I am inclined to shout "Oh stockingtops" but normally I am quite well mannered on the course.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have been known to use the odd expletive, but only aimed at myself.
I have also been known to helicopter the putter back at my bag now and again. But always underarm and always with a grimace on my face

stedenial

Visit site
i have been known to use bad language on the golf course but it is never aimed directly at anyone and its normally just a case of me getting annoyed at myself.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I always mutter abusive language to myself, it helps let the complete anger and fury out of the system. I never scream anything which I have seen and it is funny at times watching someone else in another group blow up infront of you.
Makes you realise your not the only one having a bad round!! :)

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
To me little outburst are ok on there own, its when it carries on hole after hole, and they sulk and whine and make you feel like you are keeping them on the course, against there will.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i think playing with groups of strangers (not in that way smiffy ive heared stories about you) helps you control the more extreme language sometimes used.

If me and a couple of close mates are having a knock about, yes strong words can be heard, but take yesturday, playing with 2 people id never met, One a more senior aged member and i was infact the one who held my tongue, even though on the 9th & 11th i could have exploded!