Lake District

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Keswick, a great base for a walking weekend. A lot of good pubs, particularly The Dog and Gun (the goulash is amazing).

However it can get very busy, so we now stay in Portinscale which is 15 minute walk to Keswick but is nice and quiet. Easy access to the "quiet' side of Derwentwater, and to Catbells.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you want to base yourselves somewhere a little quieter than Keswick, I recommend The Pheasant Inn at Wythop the far end of Bassenthwaite Lake. Lovely place with good food, and a great base for dog walking. I went there once and the sun was even out!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you don’t mind a short drive to the larger towns and villages, The Windmill Inn at Ings is dog friendly, has a great range of beers and the best Lakeland cooked breakfast I’ve ever eaten.

If it’s a slightly livelier base you’re after, Ambleside is hard to beat. Plenty of options, so there’s sure to be some dog friendly.

You mean the Watermill, But yes, great pub with on-site brewery and EXTREMELY dog friendly (all the beers are Dog-themed!)

It's 10 min drive from Bowness too, so worth a trip for lunch, if nothing else.

for Bowness itself, there's a great Waffle/Belgian Chocolate cafe run by a really nice family - called CHOCCOSHOP. They homemake gluten free waffles with various toppings, and they're incredible. And their own recipe Belgian hot chocolate is an absolute treat. They love dogs too.

There's a lovely back-street Italian restaurant which I recommended to @Smiffy too, Villa Positano.

For Steak Restaurants - Hyltons in Bowness is probably your closest option - not a steak restaurant per se, but serves a multi-tude of different cuisines (fish, steak, in-house smoked meat etc) and is always busy.

MOST of the lakes is dog friendly and anywhere that ISN'T dog friendly probably isn't worth your time anyway :) (though there are a few exceptions)

Other recommendations:
Take a drive to Grasmere - one because it's lovely and two BALDRY'S TEA ROOM in the village itself has THE best Lemon Meringue Pie (and other desserts), you'll ever have.

Ambleside is a nice town with some good pubs/tea rooms/restaurants (the aforementioned Doi Inanton being an incredible Thai and Lucy's of Ambleside being a really good "special occasion but not posh" restaurant - the latter being dog friendly too)

If you're looking for picturesque - can't beat Buttermere - the drive there is an errrr adventure, but worth the stress - although it might be packed in June. Lovely easy amble around the lake with some stunning views.
The Bluebird Cafe on Consiton Water is another favourite of ours too - Dog friendly on the patio and on the picnic benches outside IIRC - food is reasonably priced and really nice. (there's also one in Bowness itself, but it's not as big so can be more of a nightmare to get into)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
You mean the Watermill, But yes, great pub with on-site brewery and EXTREMELY dog friendly (all the beers are Dog-themed!)

You’re right, of course - my memory clearly not what it was! And it’s a few years since we were there, but we really enjoyed our stay.

mteam

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We’ve stayed at The Swan Inn a few times, it’s an old coaching inn located at Newby Bridge.
Walk up the bank and get the Haverthwaite Steam Train 2 stops to Lakeside on Windermere.
It’s a delightful place that is dog friendly with a good menu.
Jump in the car and Ulverston is just up the road, a lovely small town with plenty pubs and restaurants.

We stay just up the road from there every year at lakeland village. If your down that end the Rusland Pool on the A590 is great for food also the Stan Laurel & the Farmers in Ulverston are good. The Hare and Hounds and the Mason Arms towards bowland bridge used to be very nice

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Literally just returned from a weeks holiday, had a great time and have already booked up for a return next year. Had a superb time, loved it. Had a nice trip up to Bowness, wasn't too busy being January. Lot's of decent looking eateries and pubs and we'll return and spend longer there next visit. Wandered around Buttermere, as mentioned above, quite an "interesting" drive there. We found a superb tea room in Grange over Sands and a lovely pub with great food, The Pheasant at Cartmel. We enjoyed it so much we went back on our last night. Best bit of fish and chips I've ever had and home made onion rings to die for!!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Literally just returned from a weeks holiday, had a great time and have already booked up for a return next year. Had a superb time, loved it. Had a nice trip up to Bowness, wasn't too busy being January. Lot's of decent looking eateries and pubs and we'll return and spend longer there next visit. Wandered around Buttermere, as mentioned above, quite an "interesting" drive there. We found a superb tea room in Grange over Sands and a lovely pub with great food, The Pheasant at Cartmel. We enjoyed it so much we went back on our last night. Best bit of fish and chips I've ever had and home made onion rings to die for!!
Will definitely try it 👍🏻

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Grange-over-Sands aka God's waiting room.:eek:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

Glad you enjoyed it mate. Did you end up at Lucy's in Ambleside for your birthday?

Will take note of the tearoom - we're up there in may and our lad will want to head out that way to the Beach, I would think. We've never ventured that far west but this year could be the year!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We did go to Lucy's mate, but got to be honest, it was a bit of a disappointment.
No problems with the starters, they were all delicious. My daughter had broccoli soup and actually commented that she didn't think soup could taste as good.
Problems came with the mains.... I ordered "medallions" of fillet steak, medium rare. I got one piece of steak that was medium well, about 6oz, (if that), for £34.00!! Daughter "small" cod was fish finger sized, seriously, which was a piss take at £18.00 and my wife's chicken breast was as dry as a bone.
Not a cheap night, and if everything had been to the quality of the starters we'd have been happy. But as I say, disappointed, and felt ripped off.
Another place to avoid was the priest hole just around the corner. P'ding food at it's finest...

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
We did go to Lucy's mate, but got to be honest, it was a bit of a disappointment.
No problems with the starters, they were all delicious. My daughter had broccoli soup and actually commented that she didn't think soup could taste as good.
Problems came with the mains.... I ordered "medallions" of fillet steak, medium rare. I got one piece of steak that was medium well, about 6oz, (if that), for £34.00!! Daughter "small" cod was fish finger sized, seriously, which was a piss take at £18.00 and my wife's chicken breast was as dry as a bone.
Not a cheap night, and if everything had been to the quality of the starters we'd have been happy. But as I say, disappointed, and felt ripped off.
Another place to avoid was the priest hole just around the corner. P'ding food at it's finest...

Ah, that's a shame. We've not been for a few years, but might steer clear in May if the quality has dropped. We'd previously never had a bad meal in there (hence why I recommended it!).

Duly noted about the Priest Hole as well! Glad you made it to Buttermere and lived to tell the tale! The views you get when you're there are worth the stress of worrying about rolling down the hill in your car when trying to pass another car (or Tractor!) coming the other way.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have a trip over to Wast Water on your next trip, a great drive over Hardknott Pass and all the way along the side of Wast Water. Take a walk along the valley with Kirk Fell and Great Gable on one side and the Scafells on the other, or venture up into the fells if you're up for it, then back for lunch/dinner at Wasdale Head Inn.