Ladies v Men's golf clubs

linwight

Visit site
Hello. I'd welcome some advice from those who know:
I'm a new (lady) golfer - in my third year with (I'm told) a good swing. My clubs, trolley, bag et al, cost me £40 in total, and I've been very pleased with them but recently a friend loaned me his Benross Gold Fairway wood - which is truly amazing! I'm now searching for new clubs but am being told to buy ladies only clubs. I'm 5'7" and looking at the physics - the longer the club, applying the same amount of power, the greater the club head speed - resulting in a longer shot. So why should I be advised to look for relatively shorter, potentially less powerful, clubs?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello. I'd welcome some advice from those who know:
I'm a new (lady) golfer - in my third year with (I'm told) a good swing. My clubs, trolley, bag et al, cost me £40 in total, and I've been very pleased with them but recently a friend loaned me his Benross Gold Fairway wood - which is truly amazing! I'm now searching for new clubs but am being told to buy ladies only clubs. I'm 5'7" and looking at the physics - the longer the club, applying the same amount of power, the greater the club head speed - resulting in a longer shot. So why should I be advised to look for relatively shorter, potentially less powerful, clubs?

Women's clubs, which are usually lighter and have more flexible shafts are intended to optimise the swing characteristics of the typical woman golfer. But some don't fit that spec, just as some men don't suit standard off the shelf mens clubs. If you have a swing that works better with mens regular flex, then use that.

The general principle for men and women golfers is to get fitted to find the equipment which suits you best and allows you to get the most out of your game. Fitting equipment os gender neutral, so when the Mizuno Swing DNA suggests some suitable shafts for you, it won't say "dear" at the end of the recommendation.

magic chipper

Visit site
Hi Lin, the correct shaft flex is important to get the best out of your swing. I am female & 49. Started golf at age 35 handicap now 4. I played lots of other racket sports so although only 5 feet tall my clubs are "seniors" shafts. Ladies would be too flexible & regular men's too stiff. Worthwhile getting fitted for clubs but as you've not been playing long I would spend the money on lessons first.

linwight

Visit site
Thanks for that advice. I guess "fitting" happens when buying - that may be fine where you live, but here on the Isle of Wight, the only place to buy is my club, which although good, is very small and choice will be limited to their stock. Travelling to Berkshire could be possible - where would you suggest and would you recommend the Benross clubs?

magic chipper

Visit site
Sorry no help on that one - am "up north". Can only say that my first set were Hogans & 2nd (& current) set are Ping I25s. Maybe your pro does fitting? Maybe worth a play in the net at American Golf or similar to give you an idea but no need to rush the purchase - I took 18 months to decide on my irons!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Mizuno Swing DNA system is available at loads of pro shops, and that will give you a shaft recommendation in 3 swings. It is not the be all and end all of shaft selection, but is a useful starting point even if you are not necessarily planning to by Mizuno.

You can search for places with the Swing DNA here:

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/store/fitting-centres.php

The nearest one to the IoW appears to be in Portsmouth.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Ln, I started playing 3 years ago and bought some ladies clubs, they were fine but as I improved (with lessons) and this year was fitted for steel shafts, its mostly down to swing speed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Fitting is the 'best' way imo. but has a couple of disadvantages.

1. Some places cheat, so taking your own clubs in to calibrate/keep them honest is a good idea. and proper fitters almost require that!
2. It only works on the swing of that day! If it's typical, fine. But a 'poor swing' day can produce bad results - as can a 'great swing' one. Some fitters also fit for current swing, while others are looking at an improving one.

Play the clubs that feel right. As Ethan posted, the manufacturers pitch most of their products at the '85% of the market'. Quite a while ago, I was laughed at for selecting a 'Ladies' putter - it was the one that felt right for me - at 33". I've been playing 33" ever since as that's exactly what a proper 'fitting' suggested!
Competent women tend to have far better swings than equivalent level men btw. It's just the strength that's missing.

Oh and welcome!

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for that advice. I guess "fitting" happens when buying - that may be fine where you live, but here on the Isle of Wight, the only place to buy is my club, which although good, is very small and choice will be limited to their stock. Travelling to Berkshire could be possible - where would you suggest and would you recommend the Benross clubs?

If you don't mind reading you could get Tom Wishon's book the search for the perfect golf club. It'll give u a good idea on how to fit yourself in the absence of fancy equipment. Essentially u should be fitted for your swing style, plane, tempo, ability and arm length to height ratio amongst other things.

It's a good read, easy, some humour, good information and could give you s pretty good idea of what would suit.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't worry too much about women's v men's clubs, much of it is marketing. I had always played men's off the shelf clubs before getting custom fit a couple of years ago. My new irons are lighter but they are appropriate for my swing speed not my gender.

Likewise my woods, which I was also fitted for, have the regular men's shafts.

Height, strength and swing speed are the relevant factors, not gender, although these often do average out. I'd agree with other posters if you are beyond the beginner stage with a decent swing you'd be better getting custom fit then just plumping for women's clubs. Unless you really like pink!! :mad:

And welcome to the forum. The ladies section is growing! :thup: