Lack of distance

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi
I currently carry a 5 iron 145 - 150 yards and am looking for more distance.
I've never been a big hitter but I think over the past year I have lost 5 - 10 yards.
I am 50, pretty fit, cycle daily, go the gym and do core work 5 days a week, am pretty supple. I play off 7.
The other day at the range I was trying to actively cock my wrists but this seemed to cause more probs, the odd shank etc.
On the trackman monitor my driver ball speed was 120mph ave.
Any tips ... should Ijust go and book some lessons ?
Thanks.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Luke Donald has shown that you don't have to be able to hit the ball a mile to be successful.

I hit a 5 iron around 170 (on a good day) and play to something around 18-20 (official handicap TBC), but I'd take the 20 yard loss and a 7 handicap any day of the week!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
WFM, Have you thought about stronger irons,could be the lofts in your irons are not as strong as the newer gear available,what do you play with?...

Driver ball speed suggests that clubhead speed is not high (around low 80s), so less loft might be even more difficult to flight.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys.
I remember playing in a medal last year and was about 170 from an elevated green, I knew I could not get up even hitting my 18 deg hybrid, the guy I was playing with knocked a 5 iron on. I was absolutely amazed. He played off 15.
That incident really got me looking at my lack of distance.

I play with G10 irons, custom fitted , usual shot is a slight draw.

I am happy playing off 7, ( 6.7 to b e exact ) and is the lowest I have ever been. But can't help thinking that if I could get another 20 yards off the tee and hit my 5 iron 160 ish then maybe I can get to 5 or 6.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi
I currently carry a 5 iron 145 - 150 yards and am looking for more distance.
I've never been a big hitter but I think over the past year I have lost 5 - 10 yards.
I am 50, pretty fit, cycle daily, go the gym and do core work 5 days a week, am pretty supple. I play off 7.
The other day at the range I was trying to actively cock my wrists but this seemed to cause more probs, the odd shank etc.
On the trackman monitor my driver ball speed was 120mph ave.
Any tips ... should Ijust go and book some lessons ?
Thanks.
I know a guy who's off 3 and hits a 5 iron this distance.
Don't worry just make sure you don't enter any comps at 7500 yard courses :D

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get yourself a lesson but make sure the pro knows in advance your there to get more power and distance as the main/only reason.

It's good to want to improve and get lower so don't listen to the people who think your fine where you are.

Personally I think if your that fit and flexable then you should easily be able to find something to give you the extra yards. Might go up for a little bit before you come down though handicap wise.

Weight transfer and balance are key in powerful swings.

Just remember - It's now how many, it's how and how far.

The23rdman

Challenge Tour Pro
www.soulfulphotograpy.co.uk
The question to ask is why have you lost distance? Do you have an efficient swing? If you've lost distance then I'd bet my hat it's down to flexibility issues. Either join a yoga or pilates class or look into some golf exercises for flexibility.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think it is lack of flexibility, can manage more than a 180 deg shoulder turn and get my palms flat on the floor with straight legs so I'm thinking I should be flexible enough.
But maybe I'm not being flexible in the swing, I do try and minimise unnecessary movement to keep my swing as simple as I think it can be. Maybe I'm restricting things too much ???
I think I'll see one of the pros at the practice facility and point out that my main reason for the visit is distance.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'd take a guess at poor posture, (too upright) and subsequently swinging with just your arms instead of the rotation of the body. I'd go have a quick lesson.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went to the range last night, hit about 60 - 70 5 irons. Couple of duffs but they were mainly going pretty good, a few really felt like I had ripped them. On pacing out the distance ( didn't use my GPS but my pacing is usually spot on with it ) the average was 140 yards, no wind and about 8 degrees.
I normally am a bit of a puncher , bit of divot after the ball.
Will see about a lesson me thinks.

Waitforme

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, had my lesson and first thing Pro noticed was my lack of hip rotation of follow through, am not getting through the ball properly. Also wants me to hit doen on it more and compress it, has got me concentrating on taking divot after the ball.
I put a tee in the ground and place my ball on the line between the tee and my feet, so normal address but the tee marks the position where the back of the ball is .
I am to hit balls from this position and have the divots starting a few inches fwd of the tee line.
At first it was difficult but after hitting several hundred ball since the lesson it is getting a lot better.
Turning my hips through the downswing also allows me to get a full finish with the club reaching down my back on finsih.
I think I'm onto improvements and looking fwd to the lighter nights and getting more practice in.
Next lesson is a week on Sunday, planning on taking maybe one every couple of weeks and really nailing any swing issues.