Loss of Iron distance

Lee762

Visit site
Please excuse my dumb questions.
I have come back to golf after a long layoff and have really lost distance with all of my clubs.

My 8iron figures are as follows

Launch Angle 30ish
Carry 120yards
Ball speed 90mph (i think)

Driver figures
Launch angle 17
Carry 215yards
Ball speed 135mph

I don't have the other data like swing speed etc as this is not shown on the driving range trackman system (it is withheld unless you have lessons)

I know that I am casting the club. Here come the stupid questions.

1. How much loss of distance and speed does casting have if any?
2. If I could reduce the launch angles and remove the casting would this increase the ball speed and distance.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Those are some very high launch angles, you may be playing older clubs with higher lofts but even if that is the case 30 degrees with a 7 iron is extreme. Is this definitely correct as you're launching at the same angle as my 54 degree wedge?

To answer your question on how much distance you are losing it's difficult to say without seeing your clubhead speed numbers but it will be significant if your launch angle is correct. I had a similar issue but nowhere near as extreme as your case & the lessons I had over the last few month have fixed the issue. I've gained a club in distance with my irons and my ball striking is much improved because of this.

Driver will be less of an issue as 17 degrees of launch angle is not too but, I launch my driver pretty high but this is coupled with low spin & a decent strike so I get plenty of distance because of this.

If you can post your numbers & a video of your swing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you say long lay off. How long. Age can be a very big factor.

When I was in my 30s my 8 iron was around 160 many years later it is only 120. It was not lost all one go but bit by bit as I got older

The age/model of your clubs also need to shown as lofts on clubs has slowly but surely decreased over the years.

Lee762

Visit site
thanks for the replies guy.

I am 47 and stopped playing for about 5 years.

The irons I use are cobra MB 8iron is 38 degrees. swing speed is around 75-80mph (I know, its very slow)

I alternate between my Titleist 975d and the TS4 (stats don't change that much) Swing speed between 95-102mph (again I know these are really low numbers)

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
80mph 8 iron & 100mph driver isn't slow, it's higher than the average male golfer.

However, if you have a 75-80mph clubhead speed with your 8 iron you should be generating between 100-105mph ball speed with a good strike so you are losing 10-15mph in ball speed, but this is dependent on having good club path, angle of attack & dynamic loft numbers.

My advice is to find a good pro & take some lessons to rectify your swing issues, they are definitely worth while but you have to put the time & effort in to see the results

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The irons I use are cobra MB 8iron is 38 degrees. swing speed is around 75-80mph (I know, its very slow)

If that is iron speed it is very average*

38 degree 8 iron is what you would find on a modern set of clubs aimed at the better 'player' e.g. Forged blades. Lots of modern 'average player' clubs will have an 8 iron loft of 34 degrees.

On that basis I would agree distance is somewhat off. I play a 39 degree 8 iron with a swing speed just under 70 and my distance is 120

* 80 mph swing speed is what most regular flex shafts are aimed at.

Lee762

Visit site
Hi quick update on my previous posts.

I have the figures from trackman for my 7 iron (34 degrees)

Club speed 78mph
launch : 24.5 degrees
AoA : -2.9
Ball Speed: 100mph
Carry : 126 yards (range balls)

Range balls are wilson range balls (not sure if that makes a difference), I was carrying the ball to the 126 marker and trackman figures also showed 126.