Lack of power on mid-long irons

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Afternoon

I recently swapped irons (I’m your typical tinkerman) and currently using the 2017 TM P790s. Lovely looking clubs and when they go they go.

Problem I seem to have is that 7i-pw I hit quite decent most of the time and they go the expected distance, but I struggle to get much out of the 5&6. For comparison my 6i in the TM M2s I had was like Thor’s hammer. I’m not sure what’s changed. I haven’t noticed a change in swing, but these 2 clubs are either thinned to chunked and come up 20-30 yards short of where they need to go.

The weird thing is, I’ve been scoring quite well generally, have won a couple of club comps and my hcp has come down a touch to 17.9. Just don’t feel like I can get better unless I can start hitting them.

Beginning to think I jumped too soon into ‘better player’ clubs as I can be finding the middle, or is it just a case of giving it some time to bed them in?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Immediate conclusion is that the game improver long irons are simply easier to hit due to the extra forgiveness? If the lofts are the same then maybe you want the nicer irons from 7 down, and game improvers at 5 & 6?

Personally I gave up on my 5 & 6 altogether a few years ago, and got hybrids. My 6 used to go no further than the 7, and my 5 used to go no further than a PW. :LOL:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep! Hybrids are the way!
24 and 27 works for me. Slightly 'in-between', but distances work fine - I have 21 and 19 as well. Lots of head covers!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ah yes, forgot to mention that my old ping g25 20 degree has come into its own recently, use it instead of the 5 or 6 where I need to hit 190+. Trouble is, that leaves a big gap as the 7 iron is 30.5 degrees! Interesting thought though, I could get the next one up maybe if things don’t start improving!

FELL75

Visit site
Immediate conclusion is that the game improver long irons are simply easier to hit due to the extra forgiveness? If the lofts are the same then maybe you want the nicer irons from 7 down, and game improvers at 5 & 6?

Personally I gave up on my 5 & 6 altogether a few years ago, and got hybrids. My 6 used to go no further than the 7, and my 5 used to go no further than a PW. :LOL:
Exactly that for me. 6-PW apex 21s then 4&5 Apex21 DCBs?

Springveldt

Visit site
Afternoon

I recently swapped irons (I’m your typical tinkerman) and currently using the 2017 TM P790s. Lovely looking clubs and when they go they go.

Problem I seem to have is that 7i-pw I hit quite decent most of the time and they go the expected distance, but I struggle to get much out of the 5&6. For comparison my 6i in the TM M2s I had was like Thor’s hammer. I’m not sure what’s changed. I haven’t noticed a change in swing, but these 2 clubs are either thinned to chunked and come up 20-30 yards short of where they need to go.

The weird thing is, I’ve been scoring quite well generally, have won a couple of club comps and my hcp has come down a touch to 17.9. Just don’t feel like I can get better unless I can start hitting them.

Beginning to think I jumped too soon into ‘better player’ clubs as I can be finding the middle, or is it just a case of giving it some time to bed them in?
The M2 6 iron is 1.5 degrees stronger lofted and also nearly 1/2 inch longer so I'd expect it to go further. Same with the 5, it's actually 2 degrees stronger (that's half a club) while also being 1/2 inch longer in the shaft.

Throw in that the M2 is a lot chunkier I'd imagine it masks poorer hits better than the P790.

Even if you start hitting the P790's better they probably won't go as far as the M2's.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The M2 6 iron is 1.5 degrees stronger lofted and also nearly 1/2 inch longer so I'd expect it to go further. Same with the 5, it's actually 2 degrees stronger (that's half a club) while also being 1/2 inch longer in the shaft.

Throw in that the M2 is a lot chunkier I'd imagine it masks poorer hits better than the P790.

Even if you start hitting the P790's better they probably won't go as far as the M2's.

No, totally agree. The main reason for wanting to play better irons is to have more control. The m2 6 iron could go miles, but control wasn’t great. Don’t expect these to compare in terms of distance, but I’m just about getting 160 out of the 6iron, about the same as the 7!

RichA

Visit site
Afternoon

I was suffering from this recently too and had a lesson. The pro said that it was caused by the fact that I deloft my irons. I've always hit down on the ball pretty hard. The lesson went well but I've slipped back into delofting a bit.

Funnily enough, I've recently benched my Ping G425 irons in favour of mid-00s Mizuno MP-60s. My ball striking is better and I'm even thinking of selling the Pings. My scoring is about the same but I'm enjoying playing nice golf shots more than I was enjoying bludgeoning the ball as far as possible. I'm a similar HI to you but have no problems playing forged blades. Use whichever irons you enjoy most. The concept of "better player irons" is questionable anyway.