Kuch the cheapskate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This has been a hilarious thread with some taking a very high moral viewpoint. He agreed a fee, he paid said amount. Caddy happy Kuchar happy. The only disappointing side of this to me would be the back stabbing and sniping by those tour members that started the rumours in the first place. Surely this scenario is no different to when they go to the far east for some tour events and use local caddies there. Never seen anyone snipe that the winner didn't pay lavish bonuses to the caddy instead of an agreed rate.

RePete

Visit site
Is it not all relative?
A stick to a dog is a toy. A stick to a blind man is an essential way to get around.
Why does everything have to be judged on Western life standards?
I don't really know if it is western standards as much as it is decency standards. This guy gets ONE chance per year to get a really good paycheque, if he is lucky. The fact is, if he would have gotten the runner up guys bag, instead of Kuchars, he most likely would have had a much much better week.

He is not the one complaining, a fellow player is.

RePete

Visit site
This has been a hilarious thread with some taking a very high moral viewpoint. He agreed a fee, he paid said amount. Caddy happy Kuchar happy. The only disappointing side of this to me would be the back stabbing and sniping by those tour members that started the rumours in the first place. Surely this scenario is no different to when they go to the far east for some tour events and use local caddies there. Never seen anyone snipe that the winner didn't pay lavish bonuses to the caddy instead of an agreed rate.
You are wrong about that actually. It has happened many times on the Asian Tour. And when it was found out the player short changed the caddy, they were outed and embarrassed by it.

It remains to be seen how happy Kuchar will be about it. If he isn't embarrassed by it then I guess he has nothing to worry about.

RePete

Visit site
Sniping bad, cheap skating good?

I guess it depends who you ask.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't really know if it is western standards as much as it is decency standards. This guy gets ONE chance per year to get a really good paycheque, if he is lucky. The fact is, if he would have gotten the runner up guys bag, instead of Kuchars, he most likely would have had a much much better week.

He is not the one complaining, a fellow player is.
How the heck do you know that?
You don't and are just assuming it's the case and what you want to be true.
If it bothers you so much why don't you start a caddies union and see what happens then.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
You are wrong about that actually. It has happened many times on the Asian Tour. And when it was found out the player short changed the caddy, they were outed and embarrassed by it.

It remains to be seen how happy Kuchar will be about it. If he isn't embarrassed by it then I guess he has nothing to worry about.

Prove it. Name em. That’s twice you’ve stated things you seem to know better than others. So give some examples.....

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
How many times do I have to say if?

IF, IF, IF he only paid him 3000, is that being a cheapskate? Plenty of people here are arguing that even if he did, its his right, and there is nothing wrong with that. That is the definition of a cheapskate. If they think its fine to be a cheapskate, its hardly an insult to anyone who think s it s good posture to take.

So, what do you think, if he only paid him $3000 or thereabouts, is that Ok with you , or not? Its a discussion, get it. What if?

I totally understand the IF IF IF scenario that drives your opinion of Kuchar's generosity. If he only paid the agreed $3,000 you think he's a cheapskate (after he won the thing I'd probably agree)

Just curious though, in order to discuss the unknown/hypothetical we really need both sides, so IF IF IF after winning the thing and off his own volition he topped up the original 3k arrangement and paid the caddie say $30,000 (or $60,000, because none of us actually know) whats your opinion of the player now?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the company you work for have a record year, do you expect money to be given to you in addition to your salary just because? Unless your package factors in a bonus in which case would you expect it doubled just because it was a good year?

Your job title and it’s role are agreed, Your salary is agreed, you’re paid your wages.

Same principle here in my eyes with no relevance to the money that Kuch won. As others have stated the normal bag man spends weeks so months away from his family as part of his role, it’s the same as expecting an tempory agency staff member to expect the same perks as a long standing employee

Last edited:

RePete

Visit site
I totally understand the IF IF IF scenario that drives your opinion of Kuchar's generosity. If he only paid the agreed $3,000 you think he's a cheapskate (after he won the thing I'd probably agree)

Just curious though, in order to discuss the unknown/hypothetical we really need both sides, so IF IF IF after winning the thing and off his own volition he topped up the original 3k arrangement and paid the caddie say $30,000 (or $60,000, because none of us actually know) whats your opinion of the player now?
Of course if he paid him a significant amount, it would change my opinion. My opinion is that if he paid him a small amount of cash, that would not be good. Your questions seems kind of funny.

But I guess one has to wonder, how did Tom Gillis seem to know he didn't pay him what he should have. Just a lucky guess? Plus I wonder why Kuchar already had reputation for being cheap, and some say a bit surly. Anyways, I am pretty sure we will find out more on the story.

On the Asian Tour (and I think European as well) bag carriers usually can expect 3-5% for a win. Its reasonable. Its like many things in life, when something very fortunate happens to you, and someone has some input into that event, you give them something. You don't completely stiff them. At least not most people.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree with Homer - most entertaining thread in a long time. Especially as there doesn't seem to be any 'facts'!

Caddie may or may not normally make $1200 a week, may or may not have been paid $3,000, may or may not be happy with this because he's not speaking.
Player states he paid more than the $3,000 and that it's not the normal caddy rate that may be 8-10%. Turns out though, the caddie is not a tour caddy so may or may not have performed the full service of a normal caddy in the pro ranks! So all in all, Player may or may not be a cheapskate; caddy may or may not be happy.

RePete

Visit site
I agree with Homer - most entertaining thread in a long time. Especially as there doesn't seem to be any 'facts'!

Caddie may or may not normally make $1200 a week, may or may not have been paid $3,000, may or may not be happy with this because he's not speaking.
Player states he paid more than the $3,000 and that it's not the normal caddy rate that may be 8-10%. Turns out though, the caddie is not a tour caddy so may or may not have performed the full service of a normal caddy in the pro ranks! So all in all, Player may or may not be a cheapskate; caddy may or may not be happy.
Ok, but if its true? No opinion?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ok, but if its true? No opinion?
Stop fishing or provide evidence other than tour hearsay that categorically proves he only paid $3000 as a flat fee. You seem determined it is true and want to seemingly prove everyone wrong so go ahead. If not, simply respect the right of the majority to take it all with a pinch of salt. So go on, knock yourself out and prove yourself right all along

RePete

Visit site
Stop fishing or provide evidence other than tour hearsay that categorically proves he only paid $3000 as a flat fee. You seem determined it is true and want to seemingly prove everyone wrong so go ahead. If not, simply respect the right of the majority to take it all with a pinch of salt. So go on, knock yourself out and prove yourself right all along
Don't tell me what I should or shouldn't do, thanks.

I didn't make the story.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
None of us "know" Matt Kuchar so it's not worth getting so worked up about this. As long as he's paid what was agreed then I don't suppose the caddy has much complaints although I would have thought some kind of performance related bonus would have been agreed beforehand. Never really taken to Kuchar, he smiles too much and is nice to the point it seems fake to me. The way he deliberately blanked Coltart at the open practice round was odd for someone with a reputation of being such a nice guy. But hey I could be totally wrong he could be great, I'm never going to meet him or get to know his real character myself.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think we should start a crowdfunding page to raise money for this poor guy to see him alright.

Anyone got contact details for Kuchar so I can ask him to bung in a few bucks? :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.