Bearwood Lakes

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, on Saturday I was invited down by Paul (PNWokingham) to play Bearwood Lakes.

My initial impressions (after I'd found it!) was that I was surprised how small the car park seemed! But then I guess you don't need thousands of spaces when you're a private members club.

The next impression I got was just how laid back everyone and everything is. When you think "Members Club" it usually (to me) paints the picture of snobbish, "I'm better than you" people who give you a glare if you're not one of them.

The complete opposite was the case at Bearwood. Everyone is laid back, nothing is too much trouble for the bar and waiting staff and there was no feeling of "stuffiness" or feeling uncomfortable in and around the clubhouse.

The food there is on the expensive side of reasonable if you compare to your "local" club (I paid £8.35 for a club sandwich and chips), but I didn't feel like I over paid as a.) the food was fantastic and b.) there was a good portion. I'd happily pay the same amount again if or when I'm invited back.

The staff definitely go the extra mile to do what they can, and I suppose this is what you'd expect for the memberships costs that they charge.

The clubhouse and locker room facilities in general were what you'd expect from a top club (decent showers, lockers, towels provided etc), though again the locker room seemed rather small for the size of membership they have (around 700 members)...It wasn't a problem as there was never more than a handful of people in there, but it was just something I observed.

The practice area/driving range is great - all the balls you want to hit, a decent length range and the short game area (which wasn't open yet as the grass was still seeding) looked like it was a decent size.

The course itself is fantastic. The greens were slow apparently (Paul may have mentioned this once or twice during the round ;)), but compared to what I'm used to putting on they were a good speed and I struggled to get the pace for most of the day. They were truer than a true thing though. The fairways were all perfectly manicured and it was like hitting off carpet (on the few times I'd actually found it :D). The rough was penal where it needed to be (just ask Richart) but there are a few risk/reward holes.

If I had to nitpick, I'd say the opening few holes were a bit "bland". No real back drop and were just "straight" holes. I'm probably being a bit harsh, as I can imagine that the pine trees up the right hand side on the 1st (and further right on the 7th coming back the other way) are a pretty picture when the sun is shining...

But...as you progress, the holes just get better and better. Holes 7-14 are especially good - A feeling of pure tranqulity (until you carve your drives into the trees/lake/cabbage!), and I somewhere I could quite happily hit golf balls all day if I had to.

I think Paul must have the most knowledge of the course of any member at the club (including the owner) - Every hole would be a story of the changes they've made, the grass they've used, where the grass was sourced and how long the work took to complete! - It was like having a tour guide at a museum - I really gave a whole new depth to the round and it was great to see someone who is so enthusiastic about their course.

The members guest green fee, at £50, is well worth the money IMHO. Yes £50 for a round of golf may be considered fairly steep to a lot of people, but it's not just the golf you pay for, it's the experience and the service of everyone and everything there. From start to finish, it makes for a great day out and is a fee I'd happily pay for again and again. To be honest, I'd probably pay the £100 for the day membership - having experienced it, I'd say this offers pretty good value for money compared to other courses I've played. Not something I'd pay every week - but as a one off, to play one of the top 100 courses in the UK, it's definitely worth it. Anyone thinking about playing here but isn't too sure about the cost, I would bet that you won't be disappointed.