Knock down shot

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
Okay, I'm after some advice....

From 40 - 60 yards in to the green, I'm hitting a 60deg wedge in high and trying to land it soft to stop it running on too far.

It's been suggested that it would be better to hit a half shot PW in low and use spin to control the run. I'm not 100% sure on how to setup for that. At the range I end up hitting the ball in to a field, so can't really tell if I am checking the run with spin.

Any tips?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
In that area I tend to use my 56* with the face open slightly and the ball back in my stance. I would give it about 50% power, this usually results in a high ball flight but with a large amount of spin to aid stopping.
Not sure I would attempt my PW (47*) from that distance a half PW would be too much.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Okay, I'm after some advice....

From 40 - 60 yards in to the green, I'm hitting a 60deg wedge in high and trying to land it soft to stop it running on too far.

It's been suggested that it would be better to hit a half shot PW in low and use spin to control the run. I'm not 100% sure on how to setup for that. At the range I end up hitting the ball in to a field, so can't really tell if I am checking the run with spin.

Any tips?

If you normally play it with a LW you will find this shot much easier.

Set up
  • ball positioned in the centre of your stance or an inch back
  • heals 3-4 inches apart
  • weight on your front foot 80-20
  • hands in front of the ball
  • hold the club near the bottom of the grip
Swing
  • Mostly an arm swing with little leg movement
  • swing back so your left arm is parallel to the ground (right hander)
  • swing down with a firm punch and finish up in a mirror position of the backswing with RIGHT arm parallel to the ground
  • make sure you take some sort of divot with this shot.
  • The legs are fairly quiet through the shot and just react to the swing going through
[video=youtube;rbNPX5ZT9FY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbNPX5ZT9FY&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=3&feature=plcp[/video]

The shot needs a little practice but I find my PW with this swing goes approx 50 yds
HTH

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm getting a little brassed off Bob - I paid my assistant pro to teach me that shot a couple of weeks ago and then you come up with a video!!!!

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I always make sure the weight stays on the front foot and that my hands stay in front of the club head, if i achieve this then i get the desired result.

Great shot to have as you can then use it with 7/8 irons on short par 3's when the wind is up.

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
Money is in the post Bob!

Should that create enough spin so the ball bites and stop after the first bounce or two?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I play Bob's shot for 50 yards. It's a beauty.

Trouble is, I can't get 60 out of it. If I give it more, I end up hitting basically a full swing with adjusted set-up which goes about 85 yards or thinned 130. :(

I can do the 40, that's easy - just kick it. :)

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cant wait to try this with my wedges and 9 iron and see what distances I can get with that shot.

Nice and simple. My new secondhand caddie lite will come in handy for some acurate numbers to take to the course.

Edit... Bob roughly what o'clock should the shaft go in the backswing?

Last edited:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you tried the same swing/shot/set-up with a 9 iron?

Not recently, I'll give it a go though......

I've been hitting 60 yds with a high 3/4 SW of late but I must admit it's not exactly controlled and tends to come down with snow on it...:) I think the wetness of the greens has dampened my enthusiasm for anything with run. (no pun there...)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you normally play it with a LW you will find this shot much easier.

Set up
  • ball positioned in the centre of your stance or an inch back
  • heals 3-4 inches apart
  • weight on your front foot 80-20
  • hands in front of the ball
  • hold the club near the bottom of the grip
Swing
  • Mostly an arm swing with little leg movement
  • swing back so your left arm is parallel to the ground (right hander)
  • swing down with a firm punch and finish up in a mirror position of the backswing with RIGHT arm parallel to the ground
  • make sure you take some sort of divot with this shot.
  • The legs are fairly quiet through the shot and just react to the swing going through

• Crikey Bob!!!!!.....:eek: one heck of a list!

All a bit technical for me ;)

Grip down the club to the metal on your LW and swing FAST. The only way to check the ball with spin is to swing fast. By lowering your grip to the metal you can swing faster without the ball going miles.

Simples :whistle:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Grip down the club to the metal on your LW and swing FAST.
Simples :whistle:

Oh, that's where I've been going wrong. (obviously)

I only have 2 gears, tortoise and tortoise on Temazepam.

Note to self - "must swing faster".....

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another quick question. Should I change the swing length or move my hands up the grip to get other distances?
Theorectically (sp) playing Bobs type shot will only give you one distance with each club. What's the best way to get more. I understand the clock face drill to get 3 distances with each club but it that better than the same length swing with 3 different grip positions?

And for the clock face drill do you keep the same stance?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Here you go..... you choppers!!!!

[video=youtube;rcg806Yf-GQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcg806Yf-GQ[/video]

:whistle:

@Farneyman.... the more you go up the shaft the less spin you will get as the clubhead won't be travelling so fast, on a longer shot it's best to go with your gap wedge and grip down until it makes sense to hit a harder shot with the 'correct' club.

Last edited: