Keeping The Rear Foot In Place When Striking The Ball

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my worst golfing problems is I lift my rear foot off the ground when striking the ball and finish up looking to the left and watching the ball whizz off to the left. Has anyone got a suggestion for me to keep that rear foot in place?

D

Deleted member 1147

Assuming you mean lifting the heal, and not the whole foot. When practicing put a ball under the toes of your right foot, it'll make you keep your heal down.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You should be lifting the rear foot to some extent in the forward swing.
Trying to keep the rear foot planted could lead to a reverse weight shift.

Gary Player even advocates the walk through swing for older players.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I'm no expert, but your rear foot (right for right handed golfer) should finish up on the toes as you turn your belt buckle towards the target. I can't see how you would put any kind of power into a swing keeping the right foot flat, let alone stopping yourself from ending up in traction....

D

Deleted member 1147

I was taught that you should start by rolling the foot, then move through to a lifted finish.
By simply lifting the foot you raise the right hand side of the body too early.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
One of my worst golfing problems is I lift my rear foot off the ground when striking the ball and finish up looking to the left and watching the ball whizz off to the left. Has anyone got a suggestion for me to keep that rear foot in place?
From the above description, you could be swaying.
Try moving your weight more through hip rotation than upper body movement.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I turn my left foot out when setting up, to help me turn through at impact and help stop causing pain within my knee:)
It does seem to help stop the "spinning" out thing as well;)