Naming a provisiional ball

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s written the way it is - so if a player with me has not made clear what he is doing I will ask ‘are you playing a provisional or putting a new ball in play’. Often I’ll simply ask the first part and not bother with the ‘new ball’ bit. I’ve never had any issue from anyone when I so ask - and sometimes I have to ask more than once. So be it.
Asking before the ball is played is the best way to proceed and eliminates any doubts.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s written the way it is - so if a player with me has not made clear what he is doing I will ask ‘are you playing a provisional or putting a new ball in play’. Often I’ll simply ask the first part and not bother with the ‘new ball’ bit. I’ve never had any issue from anyone when I so ask - and sometimes I have to ask more than once. So be it.
Just a word of warning. Ask before the player makes the stroke. After may give them the opportunity to determine if the second ball may potentially put them in a better or worse place than the first and answer accordingly.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just a word of warning. Ask before the player makes the stroke. After may give them the opportunity to determine if the second ball may potentially put them in a better or worse place than the first and answer accordingly.
Indeed, always before - which can at times be a little awkward as they may have taken their stance and maybe also addressed the ball. But I still will ask.

salfordlad

Visit site
In a recent club matchplay game, my opponent hit his first ball on a par 3 well into the the trees/bushes to the left of a hole - he then said "I'll hit another" - as we walked off the tee he told me that "My first ball had pink dots and the second had a blue line" - I heard a shout of "Found my first one" and as i putted to the hole i saw the ball that he had chipped onto the green - surprise surprise it had a blue line - he sunk the putt to halve the hole. - when i asked him he simply said "Oh no the blue line was my first ball" - Not sure what the rules should have been or what my right of challenge may have been in these circumstances? Left a pretty sour taste especially as I lost on the first extra hole
LOL, classic cheating club golfer, it's a valuable learning experience you should cherish as one with lifetime benefits!:geek:

The rules are simple, this player's second ball from the tee was his ball in play and was lying three. Any attempt to claim the first ball was in play was BS.

You, as the opponent, are empowered by Rule 3.2d(4) to ignore the cheating and lies about their score, should you wish. But note the Rules guidance that "players in a match should protect their own rights and interests under the Rules". And "what is the make, number and marking of that further ball you are playing?" is a very reasonable question to an opponent.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
You don't think this applies?

View attachment 55105
How do you read "I'll play another" as meeting the above. It was simply a statement of fact and gave no indication of his intentions. What would your ruling be if the same player having made the same statement then holed out with the second ball but you could clearly see the original ball in the rough when passing the area.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah I often do the same. "You going provisional?" Answer: "yep". Problem avoided.
I can still be a bit of a pain if I ask and get such and answer. I want to hear the player say himself that he’s playing a provisional. I wouldn’t want there to be any debate after the fact about what I asked and to which he replied ‘yes’ to.

I know that that sounds a bit pedantic…and it is…but I’d only do it in a comp or qualifying round, or if out with an academy member or other new golfer.

If I have to insist on hearing him (or her) declare Provisional I’ll afterwards always explain why.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can still be a bit of a pain if I ask and get such and answer. I want to hear the player say himself that he’s playing a provisional. I wouldn’t want there to be any debate after the fact about what I asked and to which he replied ‘yes’ to.

I know that that sounds a bit pedantic…and it is…but I’d only do it in a comp or qualifying round, or if out with an academy member or other new golfer.

If I have to insist on hearing him (or her) declare Provisional I’ll afterwards always explain why.
As I mentioned, 99% of the time people are intending to hit a provisional since they have some hope of finding it, so him confirming it from my questioning is fine by me.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Some rules are overcomplicated or vague...
Just write the rule so the word Provisional has to be said....then there's no ifs or buts or anything..say the word or its 3 off the tee.
In a similar vein...indentifying your ball....the rules say you SHOULD mark your ball with an identifying mark...not MUST...
but if you don't mark it...how do you know it's yours when it goes out of sight.?
You cant so make it mandatory to put a mark on your ball...
Any wiggle room leads to dodgy interpretation.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just write the rule so the word Provisional has to be said....then there's no ifs or buts or anything..say the word or its 3 off the tee.
In a similar vein...indentifying your ball....the rules say you SHOULD mark your ball with an identifying mark...not MUST...
but if you don't mark it...how do you know it's yours when it goes out of sight.?
And it should be a different mark (or a date) every time so no one can claim you found an old ball 🤣

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

How many times do you go to help someone look, ask them what ball we're looking for and they go 'Titleist 1'. Fair enough, should be a few of those, that improves our chances. :ROFLMAO:

RichA

Visit site
And it should be a different mark (or a date) every time so no one can claim you found an old ball 🤣
Yep. I mark mine quite distinctively. The last medal board comp I played in I realised halfway round that I was using a different brand of ball to the one I'd started with. Must have found an old one lost in the same spot as the new one had gone. 😬

RichA

Visit site
How many times do you go to help someone look, ask them what ball we're looking for and they go 'Titleist 1'. Fair enough, should be a few of those, that improves our chances. :ROFLMAO:
Did you say it was a Callaway?
Yes.
What sort?
Hex Soft.
Oh, this is a CXR.
Sorry, that's what I meant. Yes that's mine.

birdiemachine

Visit site
Provisional debate here a bit of a red herring. Blatant case of cheating. Sad reflection of the integrity of some of the people playing the games.
Why feel the need to cheat when when let's face it all of us pretty crap at golf for the sake of winning something very minor like the Fred blogs hackers cup.
Fairly pathetic to be honest I'd rather have some personal integrity.