Keep hitting a massive slice..?

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers yeah seems really helpful, il try and work on what he said at the range tommorow, il take my phone so i can remember everything haha

As I said he is very good and easy to understand, if I am having any problems I always refer to his vids for reference and every time he has helped me out. Got a great swing hasn't he wish I could swap him

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you are down the range, try hitting a few shots with your right foot really well back in a closed position, (right toes level with the heel of your left foot (for a right hander). This should promote an in to out swing path.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha, and yeah think that would be fine, but want more of a long term fix, cheers

There are loads of us that have suffered from a slice at some time and many of us still do. Sort your swing path out via the vid I sent you and your Pro and start to attack the ball more from the inside and you will start to notice it getting less and less. This is a good drill that Bob posted on here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I

Sir Slicealot

Medal Winner
Visit site
May sound silly, but go down the range and hit some drives wearing gloves on both hands, see how you get on ???

I have a smashed finger on my right hand so this is what i'm now doing, seems to work for me?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When you are down the range, try hitting a few shots with your right foot really well back in a closed position, (right toes level with the heel of your left foot (for a right hander). This should promote an in to out swing path.

i always try this but when you go back to your normal stance you just revert to type!

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same problem here, I have started putting drunks stirrers into the peg at the range then lining the ball up near the peg so if I come outside the line I move or break the stirrer that way I know if I was outside the line or not as it is very hard to tell if you are.

Seems quite tough to fix but slowly getting there, one way my pro put it was to feel like you are pulling the grip of the club down at the top of the backswing, this does help keep the club on the correct swing plane.

AxelBenito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with Srixon1. Stand with your right foot behind you slightly and see if this will fix it? I am doing this at the moment as a temporary bodge job fix. I think it works because you can't hit out to in as much. Works for me, I haven't noticed a major loss of distance either.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys, seeing the pro in 2 weeks. Any advice in the mean time, things to concentrate on up the range etc?

Probably too much shoulder turn too early so you cut across the ball at impact (out to in). If you keep a couple of simple things in mind at all times this should help you at the range.

1. You want to be swinging the club so that you attack the ball from slightly inside as if you are trying to hit the ball to the right.

2. At impact your shoulders need to be square or slightly closed to the target - infact not much different to how they when you first address the ball.

If you are mindful of these couple of things it will hopefully encourage a different looking downswing because you know the kind of position you now need to be in at impact.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
2. At impact your shoulders need to be square or slightly closed to the target - infact not much different to how they when you first address the ball.

Sorry have to disagree with that. Its a sure way to push it out right. Also will block the arms so stopping a proper release, most likely to hit with an open club face. The shoulders should be open/opening at impact, to make room for the hands and arms to come though. So having a proper release of the club head at impact.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
The OP has a massive slice, the chances are his shoulders are way open at impact. I'm not going to argue that shoulders should be opening at impact (the hips certainly will be already open) but I think in order to make improvement/redress the balance it is better to aim for squareness of shoulders at impact IMO.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The OP has a massive slice, the chances are his shoulders are way open at impact. I'm not going to argue that shoulders should be opening at impact (the hips certainly will be already open) but I think in order to make improvement/redress the balance it is better to aim for squareness of shoulders at impact IMO.

you make a huge assumption re the hips.....

overall I agree with Dave and believe any 'tips' should be based on the generally accepted correct approach rather than things that will subsequently have to be rethought/undone/changed

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
you make a huge assumption re the hips.....

overall I agree with Dave and believe any 'tips' should be based on the generally accepted correct approach rather than things that will subsequently have to be rethought/undone/changed

I'm not talking about the OP's hips.

In general at impact the hips are open, take a look at any still of a good player at impact his hips will be open to target. I'm not convinced that you must have open shoulders at impact, that was the point I was making.

A lot has been said how square Tigers shoulders have been at impact and it hasnt done him any harm.

In lieu of proper lessons, I would suggest that the OP thinks about squareness of shoulders at impact I don't see anything wrong with that.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must have misunderstood this part of your post then

"(the hips certainly will be already open)"

I said the OP shoulders were almost certainly open at impact.
I said try to make them square at impact
Dave disagreed that shoulders should be square
The general point thereafter (not to talking specifcally about the OP)
Square shoulders at impact but the hips will always be open at impact.

It wasnt clear that it became a general statement halfway through the thread, I can see why you jumped down my throat.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I said the OP shoulders were almost certainly open at impact.
I said try to make them square at impact
Dave disagreed that shoulders should be square
The general point thereafter (not to talking specifcally about the OP)
Square shoulders at impact but the hips will always be open at impact.

It wasnt clear that it became a general statement halfway through the thread, I can see why you jumped down my throat.

sorry if you felt I jumped down your throat, have we found agreement with making sure the shoulders are following the hips? :whoo:

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The main factors that promote a slice are incorrect grip, set up and allignment, the head not staying behind the ball and turning the right shoulder inwards when addressing the ball.

Set up and alignment are easy to notice and correct,however with the other two faults it is very easy to not realise you are doing it.

The right shoulder turning inwards can be natural when addressing the ball and is a fault that recently crept into my swing. To rectify it is easy as all you do is simply pull your shoulder back, however most people don't realise they are doing it. With your right shoulder forward, (assuming you are right handed), you have to swing around the shoulder and this leads to an out to in swing path which promotes a slice. Simply moving the right shoulder back, (assuming you are right handed), promotes a neutral or inside swing path.

Keeping your head behind the ball keeps everything else on-line and helps with clearing the hips and release. It's important to be ballanced throught the swing and not to swing too hard.