Justin Rose - Equipment change

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect right now he is just trying different set ups and he will have ten homnas clubs in the bag when he plays

I expect he will stick with TM Woods and then go for irons and wedges in Homna

I don’t actually like the look of them really - something about them

And that putter is fugly - really fugly

Fleetwoods set up he is trying look nice -using the TM Blades

Agreed on the putter, not a fan of the ofset look of it. Must suit his eye, but could see the putter changing from time to time.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Given that his trackman is in the background in one of the pics, I would think he is just comparing yardages ect with the different clubs. Maybe he just wants to compare the flight given the conditions at the courses he is playing this week.

Also I don't think he'll be worried about the cash, since he won ten mil at the end of September last year. He'll be more concerned about performance this week.

Of course he doesn't need the cash, but if he was totally unconcerned about cash he would have not signed any equipment deal and chosen his own collection of clubs from any and all manufacturers. However he's signed a deal with several companies including equipment, clothing etc. so he is definitely trying to cash in on his status as world no. 1.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of course he doesn't need the cash, but if he was totally unconcerned about cash he would have not signed any equipment deal and chosen his own collection of clubs from any and all manufacturers. However he's signed a deal with several companies including equipment, clothing etc. so he is definitely trying to cash in on his status as world no. 1.

Yup he has and why not, there's no guarantee as to how long he will play at this level. He signed with companies that will give him the chance to collaborate and create something. He wasn't the star player at TM once they signed Woods and Rory, so he wasn't getting that option there. And if he stayed a free agent then he would only be able to use the gear they produce and obviously that was not gear he wants to use, given that he is using two relatively unknown brands to some parts of the world they are doing something right to get the best player in the world.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Yup he has and why not, there's no guarantee as to how long he will play at this level. He signed with companies that will give him the chance to collaborate and create something. He wasn't the star player at TM once they signed Woods and Rory, so he wasn't getting that option there. And if he stayed a free agent then he would only be able to use the gear they produce and obviously that was not gear he wants to use, given that he is using two relatively unknown brands to some parts of the world they are doing something right to get the best player in the world.

I'm sure he wasn't concerned about being the star player with TM, but I believe the TM players deal is that you have to change to their new clubs ever year, which he wasn't necessarily best pleased with.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think this deal suits Rose down to the ground and I agree with the other views that with all the different clubs in the bag and Trackman in the background, he's clearly dialling in numbers. Whether that's specific to the course this week or something longer term is another question

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm sure he wasn't concerned about being the star player with TM, but I believe the TM players deal is that you have to change to their new clubs ever year, which he wasn't necessarily best pleased with.
i disagree. He's world no1 so he would absolutely be concerned about not being treated like a star player. TM wont pay him what he deserves because you dont hear kids saying 'Rose is my fav player'. hence why it was always - woods, DJ, Rory and Day for marketing campaigns

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think this deal suits Rose down to the ground and I agree with the other views that with all the different clubs in the bag and Trackman in the background, he's clearly dialling in numbers. Whether that's specific to the course this week or something longer term is another question

What I meant by the course conditions was, are the courses playing at altitude or thinner air in the area, so would see a different flight and yardage. So he was just checking against what he is used to seeing and then seeing how his new equipment reacts.

Wolf

Visit site
I'm still undedicided on them, I don't like the look of the woods, the bladed irons look quite nice, not a fan of the cavities but I do like the classic looking Wedges.

The putter on the other hand imo that is ugly and not for me.

Do like the look of the Tiger Woods Proto type blades Tommy is gaming though

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Really? I think if you are the best player in the world you would be concerned about not being the star player. Just look at the comments made by Brooks Koepka, he has won 3 majors in just over a year and still doesn't get in the conversation about being the favourite going into comps, he made it known that he used it for motivation to keep going. These guys at the top are all the same.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Really? I think if you are the best player in the world you would be concerned about not being the star player. Just look at the comments made by Brooks Koepka, he has won 3 majors in just over a year and still doesn't get in the conversation about being the favourite going into comps, he made it known that he used it for motivation to keep going. These guys at the top are all the same.

I just don't get the impression Rose is like that. He has had a gradual but consistent progression throughout his career, works very hard and has reached the pinnacle in his late 30s.

He knows he's not as big a draw as Rory and Tiger and is quite comfortable with that, because he also knows that on his day he can beat these guys and that they have big time pressure and commitments that he doesn't have. He is obviously hopeful to add more majors, but he knows he isn't going to get close to the numbers that other guys probably will, who have gotten to 3 or 4 majors in their 20s.

Brooks is annoyed because even when he's won 3 majors in 18 months before the age of 30, he genuinely does not get talked about as one of those guys and people will still tip the likes of Rory, Spieth, Tiger, DJ etc. for events even though he has been a far better player over the past couple of years. It really bugs him that guys don't even come to his press conference or ask him for interviews.

I think he's just not a very engaging person. I personally think Rose is, but he's certainly in the more 'low key' category than other guys and it is probably only in the past 6 months that his manager started getting offers and phone calls, that previously companies wouldn't have bothered with.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe, but you know yourself - any kind of doubt with anything can cause guys problems.

Also v surprised on the putter. Not that he's changed brand, but that is looks to be quite a bit different. However, surely he has had pretty much full access to any and every putter going, so he must be pretty happy with the Axis.
Justin rose usually uses about 3 different models of putter a season so wouldn't really concern me. Also the 60 lob wedge is a tvd vokey he will have had custom made at some point so will probably be wanting honma to grind an exact copy or as close to as possible. 10 club deal so he has lots of freedom when it comes to driver wedges and putter

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Check out the soles on those wedges. Super envious.

He's got 3 60 or grind prototypes and a nice wide some 56 from honma.

The putter is horrific to my eye.

D

Deleted member 1147

New bats seem to be working pretty well thus far 🏌️‍♂️⛳️

D

Deleted member 1147

The way he's playing at the moment he could use anything. Playing at the very top of his game
Yes, but distance control with new clubs isn’t straightforward, yet Rosey seems to have taken to it like a duck to water.
Perhaps having Lordy on his bag has helped!?!