Just when you think America can’t get any crazier…

D-S

Visit site
I have been to the US many times both for work and holidays and have been to (just counted them) 19 different states and played golf in a lot of them. I have never witnessed any violent or threatening behaviour either to me or anyone else. The most hostile reception you get is from the taciturn immigration officers. The manners and service are almost always excellent, the welcome we have received especially in the Southern States (Georgia, Alabama and the Carolina’s) has been wonderful - Southern Charm really does exist.
However the gun culture is really worrying (the number of innocent lives lost to it more so) as is the rise of Right Wing and Religious extremism. It appears to be a more and more divided country. I am very sad for those who live in what could be such a beacon for the world but is continuing to move in the wrong direction.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
There is little doubt that Americans have a mindset all of their own, despite being an immigrant country.
They are nevertheless insular. Few can name more than a handful of foreign countries.
I like this one:
"40 million Americans say they have seen or know someone who has seen an unidentified flying object, or UFO, a growing number believe they've actually met aliens."
The number given that have actually been kidnapped by aliens is nearly 4 million, allowing for a small percentage who won't comment.
Quite possibly some believe they have to defend against aliens.
The word gullible springs to mind.
By comparison, in the UK 20% might admit to thinking life exists elsewhere in the cosmos.

When I hear 'guns' and 'good guys' used in the same sentence (NRA member) I know there is little hope for a gun amnesty.

D

Deleted member 1147

America is still a young country, several centuries behind Western Europe in terms of social development.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
11,000,000 guns sold a year… why? 42,000 gun related deaths a year… I ‘get’ the argument that guns don’t kill, people do. Then toughen up the ownership laws. At least that way there’s less chance of the psycho’s getting hold of them. As for caught with an illegal gun, lock ‘em up and throw the key away.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
11,000,000 guns sold a year… why? 42,000 gun related deaths a year… I ‘get’ the argument that guns don’t kill, people do. Then toughen up the ownership laws. At least that way there’s less chance of the psycho’s getting hold of them. As for caught with an illegal gun, lock ‘em up and throw the key away.

But that's what they are designed to do, and that's why people buy them.

I know they say they want to defend themselves, their family and their home but that's just B.S.
I don't see many folk going to home protection shows where you can buy big strong front doors with bigger better locks and toughened glass, no they go to gun shows.
I saw a video recently about which gun is best to take when you go camping.:oops:
My first thought was protection from bears, snakes etc. Nope, they want protection from the crazy people they might meet while camping.

1:08

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I know they say they want to defend themselves, their family and their home but that's just B.S.
I don't see many folk going to home protection shows where you can buy big strong front doors with bigger better locks and toughened glass, no they go to gun shows.
I saw a video recently about which gun is best to take when you go camping.:oops:
My first thought was protection from bears, snakes etc. Nope, they want protection from the crazy people they might meet while camping.

I’ve shot since I was 12yrs old. Down the years I’ve owned a number of rifles, and also like shooting clays. I’ve not hunted since the late 70’s - I don’t believe hunting guarantees a clean kill. But I enjoy target shooting, not the beer can on a wall target shooting. I buy my rifles based on their specifications for target shooting.

Which begs the question, am I a crazy loon too?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I’ve shot since I was 12yrs old. Down the years I’ve owned a number of rifles, and also like shooting clays. I’ve not hunted since the late 70’s - I don’t believe hunting guarantees a clean kill. But I enjoy target shooting, not the beer can on a wall target shooting. I buy my rifles based on their specifications for target shooting.

Depends what you're targeting.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

No, you don't buy guns that kill people en masse

JayB

Visit site

Watching that video and others similar, it always seems strange to me when they talk about an everyday carry, I couldn't imagine living somewhere where you feel carrying a weapon is a necessity.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Watching that video and others similar, it always seems strange to me when they talk about an everyday carry, I couldn't imagine living somewhere where you feel carrying a weapon is a necessity.
''Have you got everything?''

I think so
Tent ✅
Sleeping bag ✅
Car keys ✅
Money ✅
Guns ✅
Ammo ✅

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
My wife is active in (hand) bag-making forums and as well as being a bag designer she also writes and tests patterns for other bag makers.

It is not uncommon for her to receive requests from ladies in the USA to incorporate design elements that allows ladies to have easy access to handguns carried in their bags!!!!

D-S

Visit site
I think if I ever lived in a country where I thought that I and my family required handguns to keep us safe, I would seriously consider leaving.
Ironically I have never felt threatened in the US, so why the locals think that being armed is a necessity is beyond me.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I developed an interest in range shooting in the Military and owned a competition rifle at one time although it was always kept secure in the club.