Just when you think America can’t get any crazier…

Mandofred

Visit site
I understand you will be prickly about criticism of your old country but c’mon all the things highlighted in this thread are pretty much indefensible. If I am wrong please point out what things are unfair.
Indefensible? Oh jeez.....that goes miles on both sides of the Atlantic.
Unless you not only missed the thread title " just when you think America can't get any crazier" this is a public forum where people comment on posts.

So "joining in "is rather the point 🤣
And yet......piling on is considered OK in your opinion? That's how you look at things? It's ok.....because that's what the title states? So.....let's pick on the Scots......you know....because if it states it in the title it MUST be ok.

D

Deleted member 15344

And maybe you should start a thread on the GOOD things about "the good old USA".....there are some......but it doesn't sound like you are listening......

It’s an open forum

What you can do is start a thread with everything that’s bad about the UK and if people want to they can contribute to it

It’s the same if you start a thread with everything that’s good about the US

But the thread is about what people believe is plain daft or beyond stupid in the US so you are going to read opinions stating negatives about the US

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Indefensible? Oh jeez.....that goes miles on both sides of the Atlantic.

And yet......piling on is considered OK in your opinion? That's how you look at things? It's ok.....because that's what the title states? So.....let's pick on the Scots......you know....because if it states it in the title it MUST be ok.
Who's piling in this thread has been going at least 10 months with no complaints. If you want to start a thread about the Scots, the English the Welsh or even Irish.. go ahead.

Mandofred

Visit site
v
It’s an open forum

What you can do is start a thread with everything that’s bad about the UK and if people want to they can contribute to it

It’s the same if you start a thread with everything that’s good about the US

But the thread is about what people believe is plain daft or beyond stupid in the US so you are going to read opinions stating negatives about the US
Have you ever lived in another country? I will assume from what I've read that you have. Have you ever had people make comments about the UK .....that just don't fit the facts?
Who's piling in this thread has been going at least 10 months with no complaints. If you want to start a thread about the Scots, the English the Welsh or even Irish.. go ahead.
And you won't close it?

D

Deleted member 15344

v

Have you ever lived in another country? I will assume from what I've read that you have. Have you ever had people make comments about the UK .....that just don't fit the facts?

And you won't close it?
Yes I have lived in many different countries- how is that relevant and which comments that are made on this thread don’t fit the facts ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
v

And you won't close it?
Depends if it breaks any rules or if there are complaints about it.

D

Deleted member 15344

While you have lived in other countries......have you had to put up with comments that you found untrue and insulting about your country?

No idea - not sure I have ever taken any notice or been bothered about it

This thread is about mainly the shocking abortion laws , the level of mass shooting mainly in schools that happen

What exactly is untrue or insulting about the US in this thread

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ahhh....nice to be God.
What's God got to do with it? Have you reported this thread? Does it break forum rules?

I suggest you have a read of the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

Most of the thread is about the change to abortion laws and mass shootings, which bits of that are not true?

Last edited:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
While you have lived in other countries......have you had to put up with comments that you found untrue and insulting about your country?

What post are untrue and insulting? Seriously, the thread started about Women losing their rights to an abortion, then continued almost exclusively about mass shootings and the lack of gun control. No mention of anything else as far as I can see but suddenly your offended? Please explain.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Brits complaining about the US and their big cars.....shazam....same here.
The Brits complaining about the fat US people....shazam....same here.
The Brits complaining about junk food on every corner....shazam....same here.

It takes a few years....but for some reason the UK picks up on a lot of bad habits elsewhere.

Just a Yank that's tired of people thinking that other people are "worse". I could start talking about Brits on holiday in Spain....even worse than the Yanks?
Oaft, gie yer heid a wobble man. That's the biggest load of nonsense written on here in a long time.

Last time I checked, big cars, obesity and junk food don't walk in to a classroom full of KIDS and open-fire with an assault rifle. The comparison here is Trumpian in it's insanity.

Brits abroad are well documented and their behaviour is well acknowledged as being incredibly bad. In terms of rocking up in other folk's country's and acting like dicks, we've got form. Not sure you'll get many Brits denying that.

But again, where is the absolute insanity in that. The UK is, indeed, an absolute :poop:show but at least we can send our kids to school with little to no fear that they could be gunned down any moment by a nut-case with a legally purchased weapon of mass destruction.

I won't be responding to any reply to this, it's really just blown my little UK mind that someone could compare the lunacy that pervades every day life in the US to cars, fat people or junk food. Or even folk acting like knobheads on holiday.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I could start talking about Brits on holiday in Spain....even worse than the Yanks?
What percentage of Americans own a passport, or have been to Spain or even know where Spain is?
Personally when I holiday, I prefer to go somewhere where there aren't too many fellow Brits, but I have never been threatened like I was the last time I was in the States, and that was from a "family" man.
Most Americans I meet over here are nice, decent people who are totally embarressed by their fellow countrymen an often for the gun laws (and Trump).
:)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There is quite a lot going wrong, some things very badly wrong, in and about the UK these days, but the more important stuff tends to have significant political drivers or content and so cannot be discussed to any great or worthwhile extent on this forum. Consequently there is little point in starting such a discussion on any of these matters. But please don‘t imagine for one second that we on here don’t hold different views..we just can’t express them. Just how it is…and likewise there is little comment at all on US politics, as much as there is much of interest and concern about US politics it cannot be discussed here.

What can be discussed are issues and aspects of life in which there is a significant cultural differences between the UK and the US, such as our uncommon shared language; extent of travel outside of own country, and gun control - though the latter obviously can drift very close to the No Go Zone 🤔

Last edited:

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
There is quite a lot going wrong, some things very badly wrong, in and about the UK these days, but the more important stuff tends to have significant political drivers or content and so cannot be discussed to any great or worthwhile extent on this forum. Consequently there is little point in starting such a discussion on any of these matters.

But ........ please don‘t imagine for one second that we on here don’t hold different views..we just can’t express them. Just how it is…and likewise there is little comment at all on US politics, as much as there is much of interest and concern about US politics it cannot be discussed here.

What can be discussed are issues and aspects of life in which there is a significant cultural differences between the UK and the US, such as our uncommon shared language; extent of travel outside of own country, and gun control - though the latter obviously can drift very close to the No Go Zone 🤔

SMH

Last edited:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've been to the USA briefly on 3 occasions.

1972 - NY, Boston, Washington.
Robbed and a knife shown to me in NY.
The place was like a jungle of predators and prey. I was advised not to travel on the subway after dark.
But a few years later crime dropped. One reason given was birth control meant fewer criminals born.
In Boston I found sitting on the grass in the park was illegal. That incurred the wrath of a policeman - "Get off the grass, tramp." Welcome to Boston!

2002 - Walking in the marina area of LA I was smashed in the side of the head for no reason. Mentioned it when I got back to my hotel and was told - "You look okay." That would be a serious crime in UK.
On one occasion I walked out of the hotel to the right to find an appeal for a witness to a murder on a lamp post.

2003 - At least SF was fairly peaceful.

Never again will I ever go to this toxic country.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been to the USA briefly on 3 occasions.

1972 - NY, Boston, Washington.
Robbed and a knife shown to me in NY.
The place was like a jungle of predators and prey. I was advised not to travel on the subway after dark.
But a few years later crime dropped. One reason given was birth control meant fewer criminals born.
In Boston I found sitting on the grass in the park was illegal. That incurred the wrath of a policeman - "Get off the grass, tramp." Welcome to Boston!

2002 - Walking in the marina area of LA I was smashed in the side of the head for no reason. Mentioned it when I got back to my hotel and was told - "You look okay." That would be a serious crime in UK.
On one occasion I walked out of the hotel to the right to find an appeal for a witness to a murder on a lamp post.

2003 - At least SF was fairly peaceful.

Never again will I ever go to this toxic country.
I’ve been 5 times, and only once did I encounter some aggression. However, back in the 80’s I never felt so concerned in this country as when I would have to go on Angel Town Brixton, the Noth Peckham Estate, Southwark Park Estate or Aylesbury Estate.. South London finest housing nightmares.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's so easy to get involved and emotive in this thread and, tbh, I've stood back from it. Purely because that we can rant and rave all we like about some of the legislation in the States but, IMHO, things will not change whilst:

- The NRA continues to hold too much power. They hold on to the Second Amendment like a security blanket saying you can't change it. Yes you can, that's why it's called an amendment. How can one organisation hold an entire country to ransome?
- They are actually making it easier to get guns, rather than make it more difficult.
- It is too built into their psyche, from the old days of the Wild West, prohibition, etc., There would be riots and revolts all over the country. And the Government know that.
- The use of guns is glamourised in both their films and TV programmes. How many films do you see that rely on massive shoot-outs and shooting the baddies? It feeds the testosterone and justifies their viewpoint.
- As has been stated before, the Right Wing press seems to enjoy the scare mongering and the recent court action against Fox highlights that their reporting doesn't need to have anything to do with facts, just what fits their political agenda.
- Religion has too much power in the States. Extreme Christians forcing the agenda on things such as abortion. And what I find amazing is that so many of the gun lovers also declare themselves as devout Christians. How you can balance "thou shalt not kill" with the Second Amendment I do not know.

We have family in the States, and individually the Americans are generally warm, friendly accomodating and polite. Like in the UK, there are good ones and bad ones.
But.... if there is an issue where there is a death by shooting in the UK, the government looks at restricting gun ownership further. In the States, they seem to go entirely the opposite way around. But as I say above, it won't change. I am really sad about that as innocent lives will continue to be lost, but it just won't change. :(

I appreciate this comment may be deleted because of potential political and religious comments. If that is the case, then so be it, but I felt I had to say something.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’ve been to the U.S more than a dozen times to various different states/cities.

I don’t recall even being looked at in a funny way, never mind being randomly attacked.

On the whole, I have found Americans to be a very pleasant and welcoming. Certainly more so than places in these fair isles and across Europe.