Just when you think America can’t get any crazier…

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think if I ever lived in a country where I thought that I and my family required handguns to keep us safe, I would seriously consider leaving.
Ironically I have never felt threatened in the US, so why the locals think that being armed is a necessity is beyond me.
I take your point on needing handguns. However I think it's difficult to make direct comparisons with other countries who have different cultural views on the issue. We can easily take the view that anyone who wants to own or carry a firearm is a crackpot or that a country allowing it are irresponsible but the real issue is what happens to make a person have the urge to kill others with guns, I think if someone is of that I'll they will obtain weapons for it where ever they live.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I take your point on needing handguns. However I think it's difficult to make direct comparisons with other countries who have different cultural views on the issue. We can easily take the view that anyone who wants to own or carry a firearm is a crackpot or that a country allowing it are irresponsible but the real issue is what happens to make a person have the urge to kill others with guns, I think if someone is of that I'll they will obtain weapons for it where ever they live.
If a teenager is hacked off, hormones, life of a teenager...., in most countries they might kick something, break something, maybe even punch someone. In the US they can go into mum's purse, dad's draw and take their gun to school and get revenge.

What about the 6yr old that recently pinched mum's gun and shot their teacher? They can not obtain guns in most other countries. They get them in America because of their proliferation.

So many deaths in the US come from spontaneous anger, reckless moments, that simply do not happen elsewhere because the means to cause those deaths, guns, are not available to hand.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If a teenager is hacked off, hormones, life of a teenager...., in most countries they might kick something, break something, maybe even punch someone. In the US they can go into mum's purse, dad's draw and take their gun to school and get revenge.

What about the 6yr old that recently pinched mum's gun and shot their teacher? They can not obtain guns in most other countries. They get them in America because of their proliferation.

So many deaths in the US come from spontaneous anger, reckless moments, that simply do not happen elsewhere because the means to cause those deaths, guns, are not available to hand.

If you ever look at the stats of who kills who… so sad.

The thread gives American citizens, or some of them, a good kicking but, again, if you look at the stats by country the US isn’t the worst for gun crime. You could almost say that it’s the media that’s led the perception and, maybe, rightly so. But when are we going to give Brazil or Venezuela a good kicking?

D-S

Visit site
Also accidental deaths due to the proliferation of guns and accessibility by young kids. Stats say there were about 480 accidental gun deaths in USA, about 1% of the total.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you ever look at the stats of who kills who… so sad.

The thread gives American citizens, or some of them, a good kicking but, again, if you look at the stats by country the US isn’t the worst for gun crime. You could almost say that it’s the media that’s led the perception and, maybe, rightly so. But when are we going to give Brazil or Venezuela a good kicking?

We are not going to give Brazil or Venezuela or Afghanistan or any other 3rd world country a kicking because we don’t expect any better of them. The Americans though are a civilised country that we hold to a higher standard and rightly compare ourselves to. It’s a beautiful country full of good hearted people who are friendly and outgoing, unfortunately on some issues…mainly guns and Women’s rights it is utterly divided and it’s hard to see where it’s going to end.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
But when are we going to give Brazil or Venezuela a good kicking?
We're not, because it‘s not legal in Brazil or Venezuela to just walk into a gun store and buy hand guns, rifles and assault weapons with no checks, licences or other approvals required.
But you can do this in the USA.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We're not, because it‘s not legal in Brazil or Venezuela to just walk into a gun store and buy hand guns, rifles and assault weapons with no checks, licences or other approvals required.
But you can do this in the USA.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There's always the 'gun show loophole' in some states that requires no background checks or license.
However......

''The Gun Control Act of 1968 and other federal laws do not prohibit blind people from owning guns.''

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Was caddying yesterday for a big group of Americans, I always make a point now of never mentioning Trump or Guns as it can turn very quickly. But one of the other guys mentioned guns and the conversation soon turned nasty. These were all intelligent people with good jobs, but all blamed others for the gun culture and deaths from guns.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Was caddying yesterday for a big group of Americans, I always make a point now of never mentioning Trump or Guns as it can turn very quickly. But one of the other guys mentioned guns and the conversation soon turned nasty. These were all intelligent people with good jobs, but all blamed others for the gun culture and deaths from guns.
If you want to defuse the situation ask them their thoughts on our King. That gets them rattling about how they love our monarchy. 🤔😳😁👍

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
The Americans though are a civilised country
Quote: the genocide of American Indians or slavery;
a large number of people, including families with children, to be homeless;
a judicial system that is terribly biased against minorities and the poor;
education to be so expensive that many students will be encumbered with huge debts often requiring decades to pay off;
health insurance and pharmaceutical industries to make the cost of health care so expensive that many people cannot afford it;
some employers to pay workers less than what is necessary to provide the basics for their families;
some citizens being kept from voting based on their race;
the horrific abuse of refugees and immigrants;
industry to pollute the air, water and soil, threatening the health of people living nearby; and
the future of coming generations to be seriously harmed through our government’s inaction or our continuing a lifestyle that leads to a climate catastrophe?

Not forgetting the brutal treatment of some prisoners. Some States still have the death sentence.

Asian residents unfairly targeted.

Last edited:

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
There’s been a mass shooting at the Kansas City Chiefs victory parade. No doubt we’ll soon hear how having more guns would’ve stopped it.